Smpl mini display: battery powered e-ink display made for Homey

UPDATE: NEW APP VERSION IS OUT

As we are moving closer to the first deliveries, a new app version is now live on the app store.

@Koktail has been working hard to further improve both functionality, user-experience and stability.

Check it out! Install a demo-display and start creating your own display layouts to experience the flexibility and versatility: smpl App til Homey | Homey

4 Likes

UPDATE: DELIVERIES IN JANUARY. EXTERNAL REVIEWS. SUPPORT RESOURCES. BATTERY LIFE UPDATE

Our production has been on schedule but unfortunately our packaging supplier in Kiev was affected by the power outages from the constant Russian shelling of the Ukrainian infrastructure. As a result, our expected shipping before Christmas was moved to January.

I am very happy to announce that we have just received the first batch of final products and will start shipping to a significant number of pre-order customers in the beginning of January when the Christmas frenzy is over. The web shop will change from pre-order to in-stock during January.

External reviews
We have had a number of pre-production units delivered to 15 external testers during November and December, and their feedback has been valuable in creating the final release versions of firmware and the smpl Homey app: firmware v1.18, app v2.1.16.
You can already experience several reviews here. And more will follow:

Several Community Developers have also been able to test the smpl mini display in relation to their relevant apps. Here a few from Ronny and Robin. And more will follow:

Support resources
As our official product launch is approaching very fast, we have created a number of support resources. You can check them out here:

Battery life update
Our hardware team have now had enough data from tests of the power consumption in different configurations to give a more accurate estimate of the battery life:

• For a 2-slot layout with 1 slot updated every minute, power consumption corresponds to 110-115 days of operation = almost 4 months
  • For a 4-slot layout with all 4 slots updated every minute (the worst case scenario), power consumption corresponds to 80-85 days of operation = almost 3 months

We are very satisfied with this result.

This does not include re-connecting and frequent use of the back button and thus full screen refresh. On the other hand, this also does not include using the pause/resume flow cards for power saving as well as reducing the update frequency, which will have a significant positive impact.

5 Likes

Got my two displays today, the perfect belated Christmas gift. :sunglasses: Already got them up and running, pairing was smooth so was configuration. Having to set up a flow to activate one of the display layouts was a little bit awkward, perhaps that could be simplified?

In the weather display I configured I felt the icons were descriptive enough to not have to use the labels. This however makes the vertical alignment uncentered. Could this be improved in a future update where if the label is empty, the sensor data is vertically centered with the icon? I’d also much prefer the trend icon (not present in photo) to be in the right-most part of the display. Currently it looks like a weird colon after the unit.

Thanks for all the great work, these displays are perfect for me. So easy to use, affordable and stylish!

5 Likes

Huge thx :pray: also for sharing your experience.
Your feedback is much appreciated. Good points that are put in the back-log for future updates.
All the best
Martin…

1 Like

I also received my screen last weekend.
Compliment to Martin for this piece of hardware, which was packaged so beautifully and well.

I completely agree with jseverinson, the screen is so easy to set up and most icons also show the way.
Quickly defined a number of screens, and made them active with a flow.

Perhaps there could be a carousel mode that you can display an x ​​number of screens in a row.
I have now made a number of flows that first check whether someone is in the room and then run flow by flow with the setting for the next screen.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. Also to the back-log.
Big thx for sharing.
Very happy to know that everything went smooth and that you like our packaging :slight_smile:
BR Martin…

Here’s another one for the backlog Martin. Let us know if there’s a better way to submit these. :slight_smile:

I have a weather screen with two indicators for rain, one is current value (from the rain sensor on the roof) and the other is predicted rain for the coming 8h (I have these values per hour and have a flow that summarise them into a logic variable). It would be even better if I could see not only how much it’s going to rain, but approximately when. When getting my son dressed in the morning, rain in the morning vs rain in the afternoon end up meaning two very different outfit choices. :sweat_smile:

How about if, instead of a number value, smpl could display a simple bar chart? If I could make it have 8 bars for the upcoming hours and feed it values (e.g. via json or individual logic vars) per hour that would be even more informative.

1 Like

From the Buienradar Api i get complete weather messages from a max number of characters. Would be nice if there would be more templates, 1 with only text or text and an icon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi it’s me again! :sweat_smile:

Here’s another improvement for the backlog. Over in the thread for the Huawei Solar app I’m having a discussion with the creator and I asked him why he thought smpl would only offer four capabilities of the ten or so it actually offers. Turns out those are subtypes of capabilities and it seems smpl does not detect these.

This is what the developer said:

This is what I see in smpl for that device:

As you can see it looks like only the four capabilities without period in the name are recognized by smpl. Desired behavior would be all of them are offered. Current workaround is to have a flow that sets the capabilities to a logic variable.

1 Like

same issue but I fixed that for the solar edge app. so it works again

so add the main one and then sub ones will also show up added def for SMPL · biemond/solaredge.modbus@7c4f901 · GitHub

The devices comes from the Homey API, so the capabilities needs to be defined.

yeah, measure_power etc are defaults ones. you won’t need to define them on your app. But I guess for smpl, it cannot know if it is being used or not on the other apps.

You made me curious.
So here is the thing…

1. Network
    I got no Zigbee network at home. And I want to avoid having one for various reasons.
    So my question #1 would be, are you planning on supporting other network types in future? Maybe z-wave? Or is this too power consuming for this purpose?
  2. Display Layouts
    Are you supporting or going to support layouts with pure text without icon next to it to maximize space? This could possibly be useful to drop short notes onto a display or use it as a calendar agenda preview? I would see a ton of potential for family members here. Of course I would not want to display a whole book on the display. But sure a little more than just a status message. That would be kinda awesome.
  3. Future Hardware Revisions
    Did you consider having an usb rechargeable variant instead of batteries?
    Also, do you maybe have a voting board or a place with existing ideas for future revisions where one can see ideas and maybe even give their vote of interest?

Thank in advance. Love this idea and sure will keep watching it :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Nitramevo, is this still the case? Or is it posible to buy it 0% EU VAT ?

@Shakesbeard maybe you want to check out this e-ink dashboard.

1 Like

Thx Johan. Very happy that you like the new device. And your flow based on room activity is pretty cool. Can you share?
And your carousel mode is also interesting. It’s added to the back-log for future development.

A chart is added to the back-log. Shouldn’t be hard to implement. But it’s a firmware thing and thus somthing on a little longer perspective :wink:

1 Like

Yes, and it will not change in the near future.
But you should be able to retrieve VAT locally if you have a registrered company.
We collect VAT and pay back to each country based VAT One Stop Shop schene in EU and VOEC in Norway.

1 Like

Thx for great questions:

1. we are not planning to support other wireless protocols. It is simply too expensive. Z-wave is different across regions and comes with a fee. That is why Z-wave devices are often more expensive. Wifi is much to power consuming and not an option for our needs. BLE is not relevant for a number of reasons. Zigbee meet all our criteria (one global standard, no fee, good range, power efficient etc.).
  2. that’s a good idea and something we will consider. it’s in the back-log. Thx
  3. yes, definitely considered and already in the back-log. We disregarded in this first version due to. a) didn’t want to add more hardware cost and thus increase price further (!!!), b) couldn’t keep the design (dimensions, especially slimness), c) some rules for CE marking made it easier to keep everything enclosed (but not that big a deal)…
    I am considering to reach out to the Forum for feedback, when we (hopefully) get to version 2. Now we are just overwhelmed and focused on this first batch.
    Big thx for watching :wink:
2 Likes

That’s also a cool solution. Thx for sharing

2 Likes