Smpl mini display: battery powered e-ink display made for Homey

No, you’re wrong. One Stop Shop is only if you sell to consumers. A company is not able to get the back VAT, what is more, it has to declare local VAT on whole purchase once more, when it imports the goods.

When you sell to other company within EU, which has an active VAT EU number (you can check it on VIES website from European Commission), you are supposed to do it with VAT 0% - that’s EU law implemented in every country, one of the base EU rules. When importing goods with VAT 0%, such a buyer company has to declare the local VAT on such a purchase.

So - for me - It’s very weird you don’t want to do it as the rules say. Everybody does it, not only the biggest like Amazon, but most of small companies too…

1 Like

Hi Piotr.
Thank you very much for your interest.
You clearly know the rules better than me.
We are a very small start-up and have to keep admin at an absolute minimum. Developing, manufacturing, selling, distributing and supporting 30 countries is a big task. Currently we can’t handle that many special cases both manually and technically. That also goes for finance and book keeping.
We have also been approached by several companies wanting to become distributors/resellers. This is something we are currently not interested in. Our business model currently can’t support any discounting/dealer profit and the Homey platform is still a small segment with limited volume potential. And we want to avoid any parallel import.
But I will dig into it and see what it takes to accomodate this for you.

Hello,
It would be great if you could dig into it :slight_smile:
I don’t know how it is in your country, but here in Poland it is really easy to start selling to other EU companies with VAT 0% (it’s much, much, much easier than to consumers with different VAT for every country), so I think you won’t have any troubles.

I don’t want to be a dealer and I’m not asking about discounts :slight_smile: I just want to buy several smpl mini displays for my company, as Homey is our central unit in our offices :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there. I’ve noticed that on occasion, 2-3 times a week, this seems to happen that one of my displays (it’s always the same one) looks like this. There’s a small exclamation mark at the top right, one of the icons (always the fourth) doesn’t work (it’s supposed to be the same icon as the third, the pig with the coin), and the numbers are light gray. Every time it happens the display fixes itself after a while. I have them on refresh every five minutes so I’m not sure how long it usually takes but I have the feeling it’s more than one refresh cycle, but less than five.

Any idea why this is?

1 Like

No problems here like that. Maybe it has todo with the range (smpl is to far away from the homey).

1 Like

I think if that was the case it would happen intermittently to both displays, not only the one on the left. :blush:

1 Like

This is the ‘lost connection’ screen, which is described in the online manual: Device manual - The smpl mini display

• If your smpl mini display loses connection to your Homey, after a while an exclamation mark (!) icon will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. Lost connection is defined as five repeated unsuccessful attempts.
  • This is most often caused by your Zigbee network and will repair itself shortly after which the display will start updating again and the icon will disappear. The repair cycle is defined as three attempts to connect at 10-minute intervals, after which an attempt is made once an hour.
  • You can also try and force a reconnection by either pressing the back button once or removing the batteries and inserting them again.

It depend on their individual route in the Zigbee mesh including which router they are connected via. Please verify by looking at developer Tools under Zigbee: Homey Developer Tools

As well as the individual impact on surrounding radio noise (Wifi and BLE is also 2.4 Ghz, even a microwave oven can cause problems).

Our experience is that it is in fact better to connect close to a Zigbee router device (mains powered) rather than to connect directly to Homey.
Somehow the max 15 connection rule on Homey can cause problems, despite not currently having connect 15 devices directly to Homey. As if there is a ‘cache’ storing some previous connections or even only former attempts to connect.
So, our advice is to connect via a good Zigbee rounter device (e.g. IKEA repeater, plug or bulb, Frient smart plugs, Aqara smart plugs,

Thanks. Both devices connect directly to the Homey. I can try for the sake of testing to switch places for them to see if their position matters. I don’t have many zigbee devices, but the Homey router is on the floor above only 3-4 meters away so hopefully that is close enough.

1 Like

Cool.
What about data update frequency. Is it different from each device? I am thinking, are the sensor templates updating more often in one layout compared to another?
And, why have you decreased from default 1 minute to 5 minutes? This will give you quite long battery lifetime, but could also be obtained by utilizing pause/resume action cards.
It could be interesting to test these two scenarios: 1) swith display layout between the two displays, 2) set update frequency to default 1 minute.
Just to see if this changes anything

I’ve been using the display for a while now.
And I show the current electricity price.
In all overviews you will see several digits after the decimal point.
But within the display it is rounded to tenths of Euros. So you can adjust this rounding.
Or is there a setting somewhere that I can adjust this rounding.

1 Like

Hi @johan_W
We made a limit of max 1 decimal to 1/ save characters and enable use of big font more often, 2/ most sensors don’t have an accuracy on more than one decimal anyway.
So, it can currently not be changed (in the firmware). But you can create a logic variable were you re-calculate the value in Eurocents and show this instead

1 Like

On some time once 1 in 2 weeks, i got that the display get in a inverted color setting.
I can’t see in settings that I can choice inverterd collor setting.
With the buton on the back press twice is not work, only when I do that in a normal situation.
But only with a reboot, it come’s back in normal mode (white back and black info)
Is there a posibllity to push this again to the display.
I try it to do every night a change off several screens i made.
Advice to solve this.
Thanks all ready

1 Like

Hi Johan.
You can find detailed help in our online manual: Device manual - The smpl mini display
And you are always welcome to contact our support: Device manual - The smpl mini display

Two clicks on the back-button toggles beteeen postive and negative. Be a little patient and wait until the screen stops flickering. Make sure you don’t press to quickly. And also make sure to press properly. Slow and firm.
What happens when you press only once (the screen orientation should toggle between portrait and landscape) and three times?

1 Like

I found that all ready.
But it looks that the screen freeze if get in to the staus off reversed off theblack and white. non off the funktion off the buton works then.
If it happes again I will made a picture off it. or can I collect somewhere a log
In normal state the buton on the back works normaly.

But for the rest the display is working prefect, a device to get WAF to a higher level. It got his place central in the livingroom, to inform about the cheap prices off the energie (to start or just not start a wash-machiene.

Regards

Johan

1 Like

Hi again.
I can see that you have a fw v1.18, which is true for ordernumbers < 2129.
We have a newer fw v1.19 that can fix this occasional ‘freeze’ and also incorporates a ‘factory reset’ function. I have several devices myself running v1.18 with no issues, but a few has reported this.
Your recent order will of course have the newest version.
If you are up to it, I can send you a guide and the firmware file to update your existing device?
Please send an e-mail to info@smplproducts.com

Hi all.

We are planning a minor firmware and app update to deliver on some of your feedback.
Stay tuned!

We might have room for a few more icons. And are open for suggestions without any promises.
What icon(s) are you missing and for what use-case?

I have a motorised gate at my house that i control and get status from thru the homey. I would be really glad if there was a possiblity to add a icon of a gate.

And another question Is it possible to also get a yes/no variables to be translated into other languages? Today for my gate on my smpl mini display it says in swedish" Is the gate open " and then i answers in English Yes or No…

1 Like

Great input. Thx.
Not sure we can fix the translation in the app. Will think about that.
But there is an easy fix you can do yourself in the meantime. Make logic variables with the swedish text and a flow to handle the ‘translation’. And use the logic variables in your display.
Voila :nerd_face:

1 Like