MQTT Hub/Gateway

Hello @HarriedeGroot
I’m struggeling with a string capability with more than 255 characters. The export to HomeAssistant fails because entities areonly allowed with a max size of 255 chars.
My main question is: Is the MQTT Hub designed for HomeAssistant as main receiver (HA discovery)? Or is the discovery only an addition and the export for /homie/HomeyID/… is generic?

I’m wondering if it would make sense to truncate the strings in the Hub. Perhaps activated in the app settings?
Or is it better to truncate in the app where the capability is set?

Do you have a proposal what could be a good way to solve this problem?
Many Thanks.

please help
i added capability thermostat_mode
my thermostat have two status: “idle” or “heating” in mqtt
if i add it to “stateTopic”: it’s not recognize it.
how to convert:
if status is “idle” set thermostat_mode to “off”
if status is “heating” set thermostat_mode to “heat”

looks like i need to use valueTemplate, but i know nothing how to use it.

any chance this app comes to homey Bridge?

No.

2 Likes

Indeed, already asked on Slack. Athom won’t allow it.

pro audience has to buy 400 dollar homey pro
IMHO a missed chance

if the bridge is capable off doing it
why not allowing it

Would it be possible to connect Smappee with Homey wit this app?

From what I’ve read:
According to the PDF, it can connect with the MQTT Broker app and send msgs on topics to Homey Pro.

And f.i. by using the MQTT client app, you can trigger flows by matching topic msgs received, or send msgs in topics.

Or use MQTT devices with MQTT topics linked to Homey device capabilities.

1 Like

I have no idea what to do…:see_no_evil:
I just want to have the Smappee info in Homey, can someone give me an “manual” how to set this up?

These are how-to’s to connect with other apps, it’s the same principle. Maybe you can work things out from here :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, don’t understand any of it… :see_no_evil:

An app for it would be nice…:rofl::joy:

Can someone please give me a hint - I’m able to get via MQTT Device (of MQTT Hub) successfully standard types of attributes for existing devices and somehow simulate what is not a standard device (eg. “sensor” having two temperatures, car being a device, with Motion false/true, Locked via General alarm etc.) - but how to achieve eg. if I would like to have a device, which is showing in TEXT for example mode of operations (eg. standby, heating, cooling etc. - it’s pellet stove). I don’t want to simulate Thermostat. Is the only way how to achieve it via variables and “Trigger when a message is received on” ?

And second question, when using this topics, labels got ignored…is it bug or feature ?

{
  "measure_temperature": {
    "capability": "measure_temperature",
    "stateTopic": "haassohn/0/device/istemp",
    "commandTopic": "",
    "valueTemplate": "",
    "outputTemplate": "",
    "displayName": "Current temperature"
  },
  "measure_temperature.1": {
    "capability": "measure_temperature",
    "stateTopic": "haassohn/0/device/sptemp",
    "commandTopic": "",
    "displayName": "Target temperature"
  },
  "onoff": {
    "capability": "onoff",
    "stateTopic": "haassohn/0/device/prg",
    "commandTopic": "haassohn/0/device/prg",
    "displayName": "Is oven on ?"
  }
}

obrazek

Thank you.

Kudos for this wonderful app, excellent stuff.

I really wonder, such great app and nobody is able to comment ? :frowning:

Btw, would anyone have some examples on how to use value template, eg. for Vacuum claner states (vacuumcleaner_state) - seems I’m getting numbers while Homey expects cleaning/docked etc.

Hi Sharkys,

regarding your second questions I experienced the same if I have modified the code in the advanced setting (Advanced Topics) after I created the MQTT Device.
So try to create it with the right syntax, capabilities etc… and don´t touch the topic code. Having that in mind I was able to use have the labels shown in device.

1 Like

I have another issue.
I want to trigger a flow when a capability of a MqTT device is smaller than a give number
e.g. If a sensor humidity is less than 15 % than… (humidity is shown in the MQTT Device and available in flows) but the flow is never triggered

Anybody have an idea what I have to change?
Thanks

I’d try when ability changed and variable is then 15…

in this picture I wanted to work with string messages, so I used track ability.

Feature request: as of Home Assistant 2021.12 they finally introduced the button entity. That means HA can now make a distinction between switches (on/off) and buttons (click). Until now, Homey virtual buttons that are broadcasted with MQTT are discovered as switches by HA. Is it possible to broadcast Homey switches as switches to HA and buttons as buttons?

1 Like

I’m using mqtt to feed my grafana dashboard from multiple devices. I also want to add a couple of homey devices via mqtt. I’ve installed the mqtt app and I’m using mosquitto as external broker. If I read the instruction I see:

“use the MQTT broker app from Homey the app sotre or configure an external broker”. I’m missing a probably quite obvious part, where do I set the external broker address in the app? Apparently I’m completely missing it.

in the MQTT client