[SOLVED] Servers / service / connection down? March 11 @ 04:11AM CET

5 Likes

Where was this posted? Because this is very good news and something I wish to have found at the homey status page, as a large popup on the community home page or even as an e-mail to my registered address.

It would have been great to see an e-mail explaining what happened with Homey so I could simply wait and not reboot it several times, check the internet connection, try it locally, find weird information at the homey status, starting to wonder if simply my homey died…finally finding this topic, being disappointed that it did not work locally and only now finding that it should.

2 Likes

On SLACK, everything needs it’s time… there is nothing to communicate at this moment. There was API outage, it has been fixed and Athom needs to identify root cause and Emile promised to share outcomes. I believe it’s better then nothing at this moment and it’s more that we would get actually from any other company.

2 Likes

This is a false claim. It can only survive a disconnect from the cloud for the duration of the token validity.
Unfortunately cloud independency was one of my main criteria to choose for Homey.

It seems to me that everything within the Homey is working normally, only the login process is compremised. So this morning Homey on my iPhone was working but not on my iPad and more importantly not on my wife’s iPhone, she also couldn’t login. So I restarted the Homey. Not that smart because now there is no way to login anymore, also not on my iPhone. The webapp seems to be working though, I could login with my computer. I also thought Homey Pro was working locally, but the login seems to be working only through the Athom servers. Really a very unwanted situation and I believe a very shocking conclusion for Homey Pro users. I just discovered that I can use the HomeKit on my iPhone and all the appliances still work. So the app from Homey on my iPhone is not working but with Apple HomeKit I am still able to operate everything.

1 Like

Well, that was annoying. I expect the amount of negative feedback on this thread to make Athom consider re-enabling local authentication for the app, at least. Issuing local credentials, like a PAT or similar, to the app, that will only be accepted with a direct local connection, shouldn’t be a major issue.

3 Likes

Well this was the first time I experienced this as a Homey Pro user.

The not being able to connect locally for authentication well, is not ideal. Let me locally connect for authentication. And sure if I as a user decide to add a service which required the web, and there is something web related (read outside of my local network) then sure that wont work … that is all acceptable. But not being able to connect to het local device … well enough people have already noted that case here.

1 Like

Just a small update from me (founder):

Our team is working hard to get everything back online. As it seems now, that is the case.

Homey Pro is indeed available offline. Only this is the first time we get a notification from some customers that the iOS/Android app still doesn’t connect. We don’t quite understand why yet, because that does work for many others without the cloud. Of course, we are full of this investigating why. It is probably a bug with an unexpected reply from the cloud (e.g. 504 Gateway Timeout).

We will write a post-mortem with the findings and solutions for the future as soon as possible.

P.S. Controlling devices, Flows etc. works normally, of course. Even if those devices go from Homey Pro to the cloud, e.g. Sonos. Especially from outdoors and Alexa, Google Home etc. does not work as the cloud offline, as with any smart home system.

Very sorry for the inconvenience, we are doing everything we can to solve this for all our customers

Athom was asked on Slack why Homey doesn’t have a fully-local dashboard:

So for the purpose of one-upping Home Assistant, Homey users will have to deal with not being able to control their Homey’s locally when the cloud servers suffer an issue.

2 Likes

Funny thing is…I tried logging on to comment on this thread, but…the login system was down :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Care to translate? I would run it through a translation service myself, but…it’s an image.

Just a little update from me (founder):

Our team is working very hard to get everything back online. As it seems now, that is the case.

Homey Pro is indeed available offline. Only this is the first time that we have received notification from some customers that the iOS/Android app doesn’t connect after all. We don’t quite understand why yet, because it does work for a lot of others without the cloud. We are of course investigating why. It is probably a bug in an unexpected reply from the cloud (e.g. 504 Gateway Timeout).

We will write a post-mortem as soon as possible with the findings and solutions for the future.

P.S. Controlling devices, Flows etc. will of course work as normal. Even if those devices go to the cloud from Homey Pro, e.g. Sonos. Especially from outside the home and Alexa, Google Home etc. of course does not work when the cloud is offline in, as with any smart home system.

Extremely sorry for the inconvenience, we are doing all we can to resolve this for all our customers

1 Like

that is a no go. I do not want a system that does not work when the servers of the maker are down…

4 Likes

You can trust Athom when they say that this issue only affected a very small number of users. Really.

1 Like

Pretty much one year now to date. If that is the going rate of hickups (once a year) I’m a happy man.

still not working with google home

Here no problem with Google Home.

Nice to see some positive feedback as well.
As I wrote earlier today, this unmanageable Homey issue, occurred for the first time since I use Homey (Sept. 2020), but ofcourse it’s possible I could have missed out on other critical impact issues.

Yelling “hey doodle, synchronise devices” might help.

Well, flows were running but external input from ifttt was not working . So if the authentication for the app had an issue, so had webhooks and api calls.

Btw, i use homey cloud/pro2019 combo.
In homey cloud, only p2000 app is crashed
There i cannot restart it, so lets wait
Webhooks do work again. Ifttt not checked yet