Internet outage

Hi,

Having my homey pro since a few years now,
Yesterday i had an internet outage, Wifi signal was still working

The homey mobile app was unreachable, nothing worked anymore
I thought that with a wifi signal, some things would still work??

From what I know from other people having this issue, automations will usually still work when your internet connection is down (although Iā€™m not sure if WiFi-controlled devices will also work), you just canā€™t control Homey in any way because authentication relies on Athomā€™s cloud servers.

Internet or not, when Iā€™m on wifi Homey is connected via wifi with the phone app (ā€œConnrctionā€ local).
It also says ā€œAthom Cloud statusā€ Connected,
but that shouldnā€™t be an issue when temporary disconnected.

So I guess there was also an issue with your wifi in some way. Or was Homey the only device in the house with no connection?

So you stopped the Homey app, disabled your Internet connection, started the Homey app again and this is whatā€™s being shown? Disabling your internet connection for a few minutes is probably not causing a big problem, but what happens when your connection is gone for more than, say, 30 minutes?

No this was when allā€™s fine.
Iā€™m happy to test like you propose, curious how long Homey can do without internet.

I just did. Pulled the internet plug for 2hrs and Homey stayed online (local) through wifi the whole time.

Odd, at some point all app icons, all non-custom device tile icons and profile pics were vanished.
Off-topic: All Tuya wifi devices kept responding too, using the Tuya phone app.

1 Like

Youā€™re talking about ā€œnothing in homeā€ or 'bout ā€œnothing from appā€ ?
And one more question: How is Your phone connected? I mean, is there used some nasty ā€œsecure wi-fiā€, mobile providers push last years. This one actually means, Your phone is VPN-ed to provider (and actually does not ā€œseesā€ others in local wi-fi). If local internet outage, then connection goes over mobile data (outside anyway).

And as far, i know, when no internet

1. Bridge is totally offline (but this is not current case here)
  2. Pro internal logics are working over local connections (Z-wave, Z-bee, B-tooth, IP, IR ;)ā€¦
  3. ā€¦ but IP-cloud devices (Google, Logitech, ā€¦) does not working
  4. Connections to HomeyP (PC/weeb; App; ā€¦) are working until the authorization (bearer) lasts, presumption, the bearer was obtained before internet outage. From my experiments the refresh token expires_in ā€˜3660ā€™ but there may be other timers for other applications than ā€œtest-public-nonproductā€ one.

Corrections are welcome :wink:

FYI, I could only connect to Homey Pro through the phone app while internet was disconnected.
my.homey.app & tools.developer.homey.app did (obviously) not connect with Homey.

my.homey.app - 65.9.49.11- Sweden, Stockholm by Amazon.com Inc.
tools.developer.homey.app - 65.9.49.52(8) - Sweden, Stockholm by Amazon.com Inc.

ā€¦ or United States Florida/Washington, but still Amazonā€™s and NOT Your local WiFi ones.

PS. Not related with current issue, but there is one more problem with external/internal IPā€™s with Homey. The local Homey (Pro) certificate is issued for name - and working correctly. BUT as the IP address is local, then some security-aware nameservers/local networks does not allow the name to IP resulution for https://192-168-surely-local.homey.homeylocal.com/api/manager/system/ andā€¦ reverse lookup, better letā€™s not talk about :slight_smile:

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Technical] The pros and cons of DNS Rebinding protection

As also sugested by @Cuprum
everything regarding DNS Rebind protection is move to

That option could be of influence on Connectivity with Homey but letā€™s keep it here on the Issue Connecting Homey with Internet Outage