Maximum direct Zigbee device in Homey Pro and Homey Bridge

Hi,
How many maximum recommended Zigbee devices can be connected with Homey Pro and Homey Bridge?
Direct and indirect devices ?

As mentioned on the main forum page:

Questions & Help
Are you a new Homey user in need of a little help? The community is here to answer your questions. But please search the forum before creating a new topic.

https://community.homey.app/search?q=maximum%20zigbee%20devices

1 Like

Even though this article only discusses Homey Pro, the Bridge has the same Zigbee hardware/limitations.

Hi,
Thank you for the details. I have gone through this but there isn’t any specific maximum recommended limit, it’s says no limit, but i think adding too many devices on 1 device with limited memory will be too much of load in processing, requests and status monitoring.

Most other Zigbee hubs specify that to be 128 or 50 devices.

The maximum first direct connected devices are also less 15nos, that itself classifies that the network would be small, because as a thumb rule 1 repeater (powered) device could connect to 6-8 devices recommended. That means less then 150 devices.

Most other hubs could connect to 30-40 nos of direct devices.

“Homey Pro can handle up to 15 direct ‘children’”.

That sounds like a limit to me.

Also: “you can create a stable Zigbee network of around 30-40 devices with Homey”.

But they don’t always tell you what that means: number of directly connected devices? Total number of devices? At least for Homey you can assume that the number of directly connected devices it supports in a stable manner is 15.

The total number of devices isn’t fixed, some people have 70 or 80 devices in their Homey Zigbee network, others a lot less. There are also external factors at play, like WiFi networks causing interference.

Homey uses a Zigbee chip that was first introduces in 2008 or 2009, so it’s an outdated and limited design.

Yes but what about the new Homey Bridge?
It is with the latest chipset
Doesn’t that support multiple bridge in 1 network?

A little bump in this topic, I want to know what the maximum is of het new Homey Pro 2023.

I have to make a choice any time soon, because I am on multiple limits, one of them is ZigBee. For a pro device, a max of 40 doesn’t seem so pro…

I believe the official statement is “more than the old Homey Pro”.

1 Like

There isn’t any number? More is also just one more. And if Athom is being Athom…. Well.

Looks like the current hardware supports 32 children.

And children are end devices or also routers?

Children are devices directly connected to it, regardless of whether those devices are routers or end-devices.

Jezus Christ, such wow. So pro :smirk_cat:
How do people do this living in something bigger than an appartement?

I guess my next investment will be in z-wave instead of a new Homey.

Easy, add routers first so they take the available directly connected slots so additional devices can be added via those routers not using a directly connected slot.

Ah, so routers do not count against those 32…

They do, but as soon as any device (router or end device) connects through a router, then that won’t use up a spot in Homey.
Hence why it is called and is being emphasized here as Directly Connected device limit.

And you already kind of knew that if I read your past posts about the same subject on the older Homey Pros

I have now:
1 coordinator, being Homey.
14 routers, mostly wall plugs
28 end devices, motion sensors, door sensors and tilt sensors.

And I can see that:
10 routers going through 1 or more other routers.
16 end devices are going through 1 or more routers.

The most important question for me is: can I add more Zigbee (end) devices. I encounter problems, but almost never on Aqara motion sensors but on door/window sensors or temperature sensors (not reporting frequently).

And I would or could upgrade to the new Homey, but if they don’t improve Zigbee (in number of devices), I won’t.

And you already kind of knew that if I read your past posts about the same subject on the older Homey Pros

On the 2019 pro, yes. On the 2023 pro, no.

How long is a piece of string?

In other words: nobody can answer that question, because nobody knows the details about your network, or why some sensors have issues, or how many sources of interference you have around you, etc.

Yes, you can probably add more devices to your network, but that doesn’t mean much. There are users that have 70+ Zigbee devices connected to the HP2019 without problems, and there are other users that struggle to have a functioning network with 15 devices.

Got the same issue (Pro 2023) after adding 18 routers and now started with 10 end devices from Aqara. But for me the temperature sensors works, but the buttons and window/door sensors stops working after a couple of minutes…

That is a known problem and athom is aware of this.