Matter 1.3 Specification Released - Will power monitoring now be supported by Homey?

Hi, a few months ago i bought a Tapo P110M smart plug, I could control the on/off functionality but not the power monitoring.
Homey support said that CSA did not support this features yet.
I just came across this article, does this mean that Homey can now support this feature?

I searched for 1.2 and it returned this:

Searching for 1.3 returned no results…

This confirms it:

_

I guess they meant Homey’s current Matter version, v1.2, does not support it yet.
Did you ask if Matter v1.3 is on it’s way for Homey?

I think I also read somewhere that no power measuring reporting outlet device is currently available (yet) that supports Matter 1.3. Meross have indicated they will add support for Matter energy reporting in the future.

I think Home Assistant is the only Matter controller already supporting the 1.3 spec

It was recently asked and answered on Slack:

Matter 1.3 is also important for European users that have smart locks, because 1.3 introduced the option of unlocking without opening the door.

1 Like

The question was asked on 12.08.24. On 26.08.24 the beta firmware v12.0.2-rc was released, but also without Matter version 1.3.
Just as additional info.

Matter 1.3 was released back in May or June :man_shrugging:t3: Let’s hope Matter isn’t going to be the same as Zigbee for Homey: a minimal implementation so they can claim that Homey supports it, but no significant improvements after that.

2 Likes

We are actively working on adding support for the Matter 1.3 specification. The biggest challenge we face right now is obtaining samples for testing. At present, very few smart plugs — possibly only the new Eve Outdoor Matter plug — support power monitoring via Matter. The situation is similar for robot vacuums, but we are now receiving a sample from SwitchBot, which will allow us to properly test this device type.

4 Likes

FWIW, the Nuki 4 lock supports Matter 1.3 (for lock/unlock/open actions).

I think most people with matter smart locks will benefit from matter 1.3. Emile has a Aqara U200 right? :rofl:

We are actively working on this! For power monitoring, we are collaborating with Eve to ensure everything functions as expected. We will also be adding additional lock capabilities.

4 Likes

I am also wanting support for Energy Monitoring on the Tapo P110M (AU/NZ). TP-Link are also looking for systems they can collaborate with for their Matter 1.3 development. See: Tapo P110M update for Matter 1.3 - Smart Home Community

1 Like

They can contact Home Assistant, which has supported Matter 1.3 for a while now.

If only they ever replied to their emails :wink:

By not replying, TP-Link only maximize their chances of their smart plugs not working as expected with Homey and then people not buying their products because it will be a known issue within the community and alternatives will be promoted instead. Or they can reduce that risk and take a few minutes to engage with Athom

Perhaps they’re busy engaging with Home Assistant which already have a working Matter 1.3 implementation. Perhaps they’re wary of helping out Athom because it’s now a subsidiary of LG, which in some fields is a competitor of TP-Link. We just don’t know :man_shrugging:t3:

That’s an interesting theory, but it doesn’t quite hold up. This situation has been the same long before we became part of LG :wink:

The reality is that TP-Link has consistently been one of the most challenging companies to collaborate with. Their Kasa and Tapo lines, for instance, have been problematic due to many of their devices being produced by third-party OEMs. This has led to significant difficulties in achieving consistent and reliable API support.

1 Like

Perhaps TP-Link is similar to Athom in that respect: technically overstretched (at least that’s what it often feels like when I try to get to the bottom of issues with my apps that turn out to be caused by undocumented behaviour deep inside the SDK or Web API, and for which I can’t get anyone to answer my questions).

In any case, this shouldn’t be holding you back from implementing Matter 1.3 support, which (like I said before) other platforms have implemented months ago already.

2 Likes