Eve Energy Smart Plug, will consumption be supported in future?

I’ve bought a Eve energy smart plug. Does anybody know if the energy monitoring is or will be in the future working with Homey?

I was hoping that, if Samsung smarthings can support it, the chances could be good that Homey is also.

Possibly maybe when Homey starts supporting Matter v1.3.
But Athom / Homey isn’t even listed as certified Matter vendor yet, according to CSA?

Source

I guess that list is for end devices only.

Even better they are member, both Athom and LG.

Search the members index.

Source Athom B.V. - CSA-IOT

But I agree i expected Homey Pro to be in one of the lists and I can’t find it while Athom says it is supporting Matter 1.2 now

No, also for hubs/platforms:

Although judging by the description, it might mean that the SmartThings hub can be used by other platforms over Matter :thinking:

We are indeed part of the CSA, our colleagues from LG even have a board seat :wink:

We are currently working on it! We won’t update to Matter 1.3 yet, but we will add the power consumption functionality to our current Matter 1.2 implementation.

2 Likes

For my own personal usage, power consumption is the thing I’m waiting the most, but I do hope Matter 1.3 is still on the roadmap.
Since Matter 1.2 does not support power consumption, will it not cause issue? By implementing it in Matter 1.2, it looks like Homey is forking the Matter standard and I hope that by doing so, it will still support power consumption with ALL Matter devices and not only some of them. I also hope, it does not slow down the adoption of Matter 1.3 Matter standard (this work done by Homey on 1.2 can be re-used for Matter 1.3)

Edit: When I say all devices, I mean all devices that are supposed to report energy consumption using the standard.

Matter 1.3 is definitely still on our roadmap. However, implementing power consumption functionality currently has a higher priority.

Adding power consumption support to Matter 1.2 shouldn’t present any issues. Device and capability support is managed independently from the full Matter specification.

This means you can implement all relevant device capabilities even while using an earlier version of the Matter spec.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification @Doekse and glad to hear it. I hope Matter 1.3 is not too far away because looking at the community, many are waiting for it.

As far as I know people are mostly waiting for the addition of power consumption and associate that with Matter 1.3

But of course happy to here if there’s anything else people are waiting for :wink:

1 Like

What does this actually mean? Is Athom going to implement Matter 1.3 scenes, for instance? Only add new device/appliance types?

At which point are you able to say that “Homey supports Matter 1.3”?

Is Athom planning on getting Homey Matter-certified, like HA and SmartThings are?

We do plan to fully support Matter 1.3, including scenes, in the future, but we don’t have a specific timeline for that yet.

That said, in my personal opinion, it’s been slow for many brands to adopt the Matter specification, which sometimes makes it challenging to justify early support for certain features. It might be a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation, but I believe the CSA could still do more to streamline the implementation of Matter. Right now, I think there’s perhaps too much flexibility for it to function as intended.

For instance, the CSA could have required brands producing smart plugs to implement all Matter-supported functions. Instead, brands have the option to pick and choose, which often results in only basic on/off controls being implemented. More advanced features, like power measurement, end up relying on proprietary solutions. Correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as I know Eve is the only brand currently planning to update their Matter plugs to support power measurement through the Matter spec :melting_face:

I believe this one as well:
Matter Compatible Energy Monitoring Wi-Fi Plug, Tapo P110M

“Note: Energy Monitoring feature is not supported by Matter yet, but coming soon. Please use this feature in the Tapo app for now.”

Edit: Maybe this one too for those looking for a power strip who just got released a few days ago (at least on Amazon UK):
Tapo P304M | Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip | TP-Link United Kingdom

I have them both so I should be able to confirm it soon

1 Like

It seems to me that the use of proprietary solutions is caused by lack of support in the Matter specification at the time the device is going to market. And then, when Matter does support it, either users or manufacturers don’t bother with firmware updates.

1 Like

Yeah exactly, that situation could drastically be improved.

1 Like

And there were are with the topic that you commented on in the Homey podcast. Firmware updates are at the moment only possible with the hubs from the manufacturer, here it would be Eve. As I do not own an Eve hub and do not plan to purchase one for one power plug I will not benefit of any Matter 1.3+ features in the future. Correct?

I do not blame Homey, but with the plentitude of smart home devices from so many manufacturers this is really a frustrating situation.

Depending on the protocol used by the device, some manufacturers let you perform Firmware update directly from their app without their Hub. For instance, the Tapo smart plugs I mentioned earlier in this topic.

Don’t get me wrong, everyone want update pushed by the hub they decided to use but we are very far from that and Matter is our best hope.

Eve doesn’t have an own hub, their products can be updated straight from the Eve App on iOS. So you should just be able to update the plug with their app if I’m not mistaken.

I do not own an Apple device. I know that Eve is a Apple centric company and I took the risk with test running one of their Matter over Thread devices. Let’s see how the story will end. I indeed hope for generic smart home hubs like Homey to keep up the pressure towards companies like Eve to provide a satisfying end-to-end user experience. :wink: