Wifi connection drops often + RED LED ring

There’s no such thing (think about it: why would a WiFi access point support both frequencies if it actively blocks access to one?).

There’s a thing called “band steering” where the access point “encourages” dual-band clients to use the 5Ghz frequency, but the keyword here is “dual-band”: the access point only does that for clients that explicitly say they support 5Ghz.

No, the option is a Good Neighbor setting protecting others. Now the router is not playing as nice with the people next door. So maybe in busy area’s and you like them then you should not touch it.

I was trying to keep it simple. Band steering is not about making 5Ghz nicer, it’s about messing with 2.4Ghz and I wouldn’t be surprised if routers think Homey supports 5Ghz when it doesn’t. Thinking Homey’s wifi is bothered by what is going on on a 5Ghz band it does not support is way less likely.

The strange thing is that Homey seems to be the only device that has lots of issues. At least, that’s what I’m reading in a lot of posts from people that don’t have any WiFi issues except with Homey. So it sounds more like Homey telling routers it supports 5Ghz when it doesn’t.

1 Like

My apologies. I just read up on Netgears website.

The naming of that setting got me confused and also the fact that they make and market it as having fast 2.4Ghz Wifi, but by default they have the “fast” part turned off . :crazy_face:

They call fast = Disable

And call slow = Enable

Ahhh marketing …

Ok , so I guess the Homey Pro does at least have an N grade Wifi chip in it otherwise it would work worse (not all all?) with 40Mhz enabled …

That being said everyone on here who has reported Wifi issues with their Homey Pro (for years) all have said that all their other Wifi devices works fine. It just happens with their Homey. I have 35 devices on my own Wifi. Not one of them has an issue or slow latency like that .

So can we all agree the Homey Pro does have some sort of Wifi fault or design issue ?

Don’t agree. No problems here. And I think every situation is different.
Ow wait, I don’t have a pro, maybe that’s the difference.

What model Wifi router do you have ?

I’ve seen enough reports from others on here that point to there being an issue. Maybe all those people are just imagining things. One or two dev’s on here have also commented that the Homey Pro’s Wifi or networking is flakey …

Maybe Im also just imaging that my two different Homeys Pro’s are experiencing the exact same crap latency.

Maybe I’m imagining that I had to switch my Homey to a different SSID to get it to stop mass packet loss…

Maybe I’m imagining that all my other x 35 Wifi devices , including the cheap $10 Chinese ones are working “PERFECTLY” fine ,. ?? :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Maybe all situations are different. Maybe we don’t all have the same routers. Maybe we don’t have all disturbing signals.

Maybe u are comparing :green_apple: with :pear: now.

Maybe Homey’s WiFi sucks :thinking:

1 Like

Maybe then I am lucky.

You didn’t answer my question.

Maybe Roco just lives on planet Roco… lol

Maybe Roco should come visit planet earth…

Maybe Roco should actually buy a Homey Pro, then become unlucky … hehe

So now it depends on my make and model WiFi router if Homey has crappy WiFi?

Ahh…forum troll’s, gotta love ‘em…

What’s that saying, never touch a drowning man, you’ll just get dragged down with them. Sorry won’t be touching you tonight … :smirk:.

Anyhoo , here on plant earth there is definitely some sort of issue going on…

Again, none of this happens with other stuff…

Does anyone have any theories ?. I’d also be curious to know what Wifi chip is used in the Pro’s so I can research it ?

Does anyone know ?

I always wonder if the problems are still there when Homey is placed near the WiFi router, assuming that the WiFi is on 20mhz and 2.4 only.
My WiFi rocks btw. I can sit in the neighbors garden 6 houses from here and still use my own WiFi.
We can always blame Homey for having a bad WiFi chip but I am more a solution kind of guy. A lot of peeps complaining about the Ziggo modems that have bad WiFi. One solution could be to add a WiFi router and shut down the WiFi on the ziggo modem. Another solution could be to switch providers. Some peeps choose to go to the ziggo forums like every day to complain about it.
A lot of peeps with a lot of different thinking.
Plz lemme know what ur solution will be when u found out the type of WiFi chip Homey holds.

In my early days I never had any problems with the Fritzbox. After I switched to UniFi, there are no crashes, even though Homey is right next to an AP.

yeah, it can still happen, have a spare homey for testing doesn’t matter if it’s right next to it or far away (assuming you still have a “good” signal). There are some ways that help “solve” it, like not having the same SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz, or turning 5 ghz off during setup. At least these options work every time for me. I only have (and am able to replicate) this issue during setup, after that everything runs smooth.

It’s not just homey, had similar issues with some Ip cams and Xiaomi v1 lamps (during setup only), but still…it’s 2021, must be possible to find a solution if many people have a similar issue, switching “providers” or buying extra hardware (your Ziggo example) works of course, but if nobody complains, nothing will ever change either, since nobody is aware of the problem. Till then you need to find workarounds.

This issue has existed for so long that I can’t imagine Athom not knowing about it. But they typically have a “works for us” attitude about things they can’t reproduce.

1 Like

Yeah i know, had the same issue with my previous homey, and now with the Pro too. The response was based on the example above about solving issues yourself instead of complaining about them. Complaining should help to inform them, doesn’t say it will change things, so till then you do need to find workarounds

1 Like

My default provider’s.
ZTE H369A (Rebranded as KPN Experia v10)

Why still guess or keep doubting if I showed you earlier it has an N grade chip aboard?
at least, my Early 2019 Pro 512MB singlecore has :crazy_face:

ahhh , so because your 2019 has N , then that automatically means the 2016’s and 2018’s do :wink:

As I also said before I mistakenly thought Edwin was turning off 40mhz for his to work properly, hence what lead me on the theory that they might only use G spec chips …