Homey Pro 2023 wifi connection issues?

My Homey seems to lose network connection a lot. I get messages every four minutes (or so) that my other network devices are offline, then a minute later that they’re online again…Apart from this, all seems fine.

Anyone experience the same and found a way to fix it? I don’t have wires running to where the Homey is, and would prefer not to put it anywhere else.

No problems here
In that case I suggest to improve your wifi network and/or move your access point.

I’ve moved it temporarily to a location I can use wired network.

The strange thing is the new Homey is in the exact same place the old one was in. It was using the exact same wifi etc etc. I don’t see any reason for it to be unstable.

In the three hours since I moved it, net scan hasn’t detected a single change in any of the devices (which were the Homey falling in and out of love with my wifi), so…unless something happens with an upgrade, I guess the Homey’s got a new home.

The New Homey can do WiFi on 5GHz the old Homey only did WiFi on 2.4 GHz. Beside that 2.4GHz generally has better signal / range that it works, the 5GHz it is different thru Walls and other obstacles. So I see plenty of reasons it is behaving different.

2 Likes

Tiwas,

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem as Tiwas, I did figuring out that it is the jump between the band that is causing this problem :thinking: I have now placed an order on the ethernet adapter. I have an Orbi router and an Orbi satellite, everything else in my network works perfect. Even if I have an order on the adapter, I wanna fix the problem :grinning:

I have just a 3 rooms apartment, is it possible that I have the satellite to close to the main router? around 22 feet I think. Can it be a solution to disconnect the satellite and invest in a network switch until I move to a bigger place?

Band Steering sounds interesting, but I have no ide how to do that on the Orbi.

A solution can be to switch off 5Ghz? But it sounds wtf :flushed:

Errr it was the 1st result of a search :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I know, I was reading that yesterday. But it feels really scary to “Telnet into your ORBI Router and type these cmds from ORBI telnet terminal”

No input on my other thoughts?

About your other thoughts, 22ft is not close, but I’m sure Homey can connect to either antenna.
The other options you have are mentioned in my reply to Tiwas :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Are you sure it will hop? That sounds like really bad design, doesn’t it? As far as I know, the only time a client should hop is when there is a stronger signal from another mesh AP. Or am I wrong about that?

I ask mostly out of genuine interest. I probably won’t bother to move the Homey back to the previous location. That location was optimal when I could use the ring to give information (electricity prices), but now that this option is gone I have no use for the visual of the ring.

If you still have your old homey, you can use it as a satellite.

No, but I think your Wifi system offers a connection to different points, and a wifi client like Homey probably connects with the one with the strongest signal. But when they’re almost equal, I can imagine it keeps connecting with the other one every time.
That should go ‘silent’, but not all gear can handle it. That’s why there is band-steering (after x hops, device only may connect to AP #1 for instance),
or in-/decreasing transmit power.
I think MAC filtering is the simple solution. Just allow or forbid it on an AP.
Or just move Homey more to one AP, but I think that’s not as reliable as the alreday mentioned solutions.

If it happened every time the lease was about to go out or something, I could have understood it. It would still be poor design, though.

I just checked the logs and it has never connected to the other node of the mesh, so it cannot be that. I could try, just for fun, to see if it still falls out if I can manage to prevent it from connecting to the other node. If it still falls out I guess I need to return it as a dud.

Yeah I was gonna ask you about any logs, but I see you already checked.
I’m no expert, so only Athom could give you an explanation how Homey handles mesh wifi systems.

I have the exact same setup. Some wifi devices will loose connection by jumping. I ended up making a different 2.4GhZ only SSID to prevent this. One of the advantages of buying the Pro version of the Orbi …

You mean you disabled the 5ghz band?

Yes. Not enabling it :wink:

Haha I see, planing to do the same until my ethernet adapter is coming, how is it working for you to just run the 2,4ghz band? feels little sad to not make use of the 5ghz :disappointed:

I have the same problems since the last release rc 100, it is quitte terrible, after 4 reconnects a connect.

A dedicated IoT SSID makes sense from an isolation standpoint and applying policies. (for instance if you want to prevent those devices going to the internet for instance) 5GhZ is overkill for 99% of IoT use.

2 Likes