Wifi connection drops often + RED LED ring

I guess a new question I could pose.

How many people on here have another Wifi device in their house that does this ?

I have none…

Well things got quiet…

Shhhh, don’t want to wake mother and father… lol

Im quiet surprised that none of the long timers on here don’t know what the hardware specs are of the OG 2016 to 2018 Homey’s , or the 2019 Homey Pro…

I thought well bugger it, if no one wants to divulge this information then I’ll go digging around the internet myself …

Went down a long rabbit hole …

Say hello to the OG Homey and the 2019 Homey Pro …

That is not what I said :grin: But it’s true though:

Source:

1 Like

zzzzz :sleeping: , We still talking about that. :wink:

Diggging this one up.

Like many others, I have issues with my homey pro (brand new), to the point where I’m already considering a return.

I have an Orbi mesh network, the whole place is wired as well and I have like maybe 4-5 neighbor’s wifis around.

Every single wifi device I have is connected without issues, even my cooking oven… but the homey is struggling so bad.

I have been playing with settings on my router to try to help a bit but gosh is it frustrating. Everytime I change a setting, my wifi reboots and then Homey loses the connection and never comes back online.
The only solution I found is to unplug / replug the router, then and only then is the Orbi happy. It’s 2022, this should not be a thing…

One thing i can’t understand, is the lack of ethernet port, either on the homey itself or via an adapter.
This an enthousiast’s product and many of us have good old wires in the walls for the extra stability, especially for devices like those ones that you absolutely want online at all times…

Sorry about the rant, I have just been excessively frustrated with a device I thought I would love.

I’m trying different settings for the time being, hopefully beanforming and disabling the coexistence of 20/40 will fix this and I’ll be happy forever after.

1 Like

Try a new power supply too. Try a 2.4ghz only WiFi. And if it doesn’t work, just send it back and try something else. Life is to short to have these kind of frustration.

1 Like

Changed the power supply, same results.
Put it 60cm away from the router, same results.
Zigbee in Homey is configured on channel 11, my 2.4GHz is on the 8th so no issue there.
2.4GHz only wifi is a no go on an Orbi router. We used to be able to do it via telnet but that’s been disabled in the latest firmware.
I’ve tried setting up the homey as a DMZ server out of curiosity but no difference.

Here’s a screenshot of a series of ping from my desktop to my homey. It’s all over the place, from decent to timeout… No wonder I get so many errors.
Desktop is wired to the router as highlighted in the first ping.

The only thing I can think of now, is too put it afar from the router, drop the 5GHz signal to 25% and see if that changes anything (when the 5GHz network is not available).

Homey is known to have a bad wifi connection. It doesn’t support 5ghz, so there must be some 2.4 out there…

Ah yes, forgot to include that. There is ONE wifi on channel one… not what I would call crowded.

Some enable the 2.4 wifi on the original modem, just for Homey and other iot devices.
Maybe that improves Homey’s wifi performance.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, at worst I got massive packet loss with erratic high latency. With some tinkering of my router at best i could reduce this down to just erratic high latency only.

This has caused timeout issues with various apps on my Homey and (possibly) also issues I had with the MQTT Broker App. (or the client).

One thing I did notice while testing was that the pings that have the highest latency tend to mostly be spread apart in a fairly even fashion… eg approx the same amount of seconds pass between each major peak in latency…

Not sure if that gives any further insight…

Ok, so I spent the week-end playing with this.

As it turns out, there’s a trick to disabke the 5GHz on Orbi. It can be found here: disable wifi.
It works with Chrome as well, just have to go in dev mode (F12) and type the script in the console.

Anyway, things are a lot better on the timeout front, I ended up in the same situation as Russel with a latency that is mostly fine and spikes up to 700ms at regular intervals which led to some commands being dropped.

In the end, I’m returning the product as:

I had to use another power supply than the one supplied. Congrats to the engineer who took the decision to save a few cents here. Could apparently not think about energy loss or miscalculated the total possible draw…

The Infrared blaster(s) manages to send a signal received by my projector one out of 5 times. Once again, this device costs a fortune but let’s go for the cheapest IR blaster avail.

The dodgy wifi forced me to not only spend time in my router configuration (which has been working perfectly for the past 3 years even with a washing machine), but also to disable completely the 5GHz. I’m going to repeat myself but this device costs a lot and putting the cheapest wifi chip around is the stupidest idea ever since it is the ONLY way to connect it to the internet. Forget about he good old RJ45 which costs basically nothing, forget about an OTG adapter with POE which would require some work and basically forget about connecting to this device in any reliable 24/7 way.
When you the wife goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night and the lights only turn on AFTER whe’s back to bed, you can be sure to hear about it for a while.

I had to move back all my Hue devices back to the bridge as Homey was just too slow to do anything with them (43 devices).

I originally wanted to record/send signals to my central heating but I did not test this as I was so disappointed with the everything else.

A wonderful product on paper. It could do everything I wanted it to if, and that’s the biggest if, they did not go for the cheapest route for components.

The only positive in the end is the good looks of it which I don’t care about since it’s supposed to be in my technical room with all other home devices.

I’ll come back when there’s a proper “pro” version that’s actually reliable (pro without rj45, come on) and if the feedbacks are better.

Until then, good bye!

1 Like

I always wonder if the problems are still there when Homey is placed near the WiFi router, assuming that the WiFi is on 20mhz and 2.4 only.. .

I only recently found out that Homey sometimes had inexplicable delays on my TPLink Deco wifi mesh network and the App felt sluggish at times. While checking basic connectivity from my NAS (wired) to Homey (2.4Ghz wifi) I noticed ping times were all over the place, ranging from 10-500ms (average 150ms)! In comparison: to other wifi devices like a laptop I would see values around 3ms.

I suspected this is caused by the 2.4GHz 40MHz channel width that all TP-Link APs use, which unfortunately is not configurable! I ended up connecting Homey to the short-range Wifi of my Firewalla router, and ping times are now much better: around 10ms.

BTW: Even a simple repeater might help in this case, just make sure it’s 2.4GHz.