Question regarding dashboards

I’ve been thinking about playing around with a dashboard. Summer vacation is coming up, and I have no plans - one of my dogs just got an operation for a bad shoulder, so I’m not leaving him behind to go somewhere warm and he’s not in any shape for camping yet. That leaves me with playing with my Homey :wink:

So…as far as I’ve gathered, there are three options (please add if you know any other good options): Node Red, SharpTools and The Home Remote. SharpTools is ridiculously expensive, but also seems really good.

My question then is if anyone have and pros and cons for the different options - or other options to look into. I tried searching for something like this, but I’ve only found SharpTools gospel.

2 Likes

Homeydash.com

1 Like

HomeAssistant on a Raspi or using Docker on a NAS.
Then publish all Homey devices via Mqtt using MqttClient and MqttHub app.
It’s a bit of work to start with but you can create nice Dashkoards in HomeAssistant.

There are several topics in the forum and some detaiiled HowTos in the german part.

1 Like

Homeydash.com is indeed a good choice, very easy to configure, free of charge.

I made my own flavor from it, while I wanted to view the values on the tiles for instance.

Home Assistant creates a default dashboard for you, when all’s been set up, but if you want it more fancy, there’s endless possibilities (The used hardware determine the costs)
Peek 2023-05-31 14-58

1 Like

Thanks. Might have to look into homeydash again. I have it running on a pad, but only the basics. How’d you manage to get larger tiles with weather forecast?

1 Like

Here are some topics about HA

Second one shows my (older version) of a dashboard.

Homeydash ist the smart way to start. HA is for nerds :innocent:

1 Like

Just follow the ‘own flavor’ link in my prev. post :blush:
It has to run locally, but it’s no problem with Micro Web Server app.
An extended how-to is also available.

1 Like

@Peter_Kawa
I followed the own flavor, and the installation was really easy :slight_smile:

However, I didn’t get the new icons, and I was wondering how to change the weather location. Mine’s not for the location the Homey’s in and I cannot find how to change this in the “how to change all values” or whatever that doc was called.

Looks awesome, so think I’ll be going with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve tried homeydash, but it really can’t be customized in a way that fit my needs. Node-red is ok, but it’s complicated and less smart-home friendly then Home Assistant in my opinion.

I use home assistant now, and I believe it’s the best option that exists today.

I was sceptical at first because I thought it would be very difficult to learn. However, I proved myself wrong. In one afternoon, I set up a highly functional dashboard. Just read a guide posted on this community to set up mqtt and home assistant and a bit of googling to form the dashboard the way I wanted it.

While most of my devices are shared from homey via mqtt, some of my devices are directly connected to Home Assistant, just because HA’s integrations give you more options. Like the roborock vacuum integration, get’s me a controllable touch map on the dashboard just like the roborock app on your phone.
Home assistant discovers alot of devices in your home automatically and they are easy to add.

I run HA on a raspberry pi, and use an Android tablet to display the dashboard. Fully Kiosk on Android is supported by homey, and this also gives homey access to the camera on the tablet so it can function as surveillance.

I’ll post screenshots of my dashboard when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean. Device tile icons?

No it is hardcoded, I don’t know how to make it location dependent. It’s also a Dutch service I used
The code is in the app/index.html file:

Here’s the url for the map I used:
https://gadgets.buienradar.nl/gadget/zoommap/?lat=52.7875&lng=4.79861&overname=2&zoom=8&naam=schagen&size=2&voor=1

Here you can create a local map yourself, enter a city and generate a link to a local map on different zoom levels: (Europe)
https://gadgets.buienradar.nl/gadget/zoommap

And the url for the forecast:
https://gadgets.buienradar.nl/gadget/forecastandstationportrait/6249

Here you can select a Dutch only forecast weatherstation:
https://gadgets.buienradar.nl/gadget/forecastandstationform

This is how the top left looks. From the project page I believe there were new icons for indoor and outdoor temps…?..

@Torbjorn_Melbye Not sure I really want to add another device to my setup, but…are there available packages for both HA and mqtt for raspi? I might look into it if Peter’s tip don’t give the results I’m hoping for.

Should work, did you select your outdoor and indoor temp sensors?

It’s possible there’s no icon yet for every weather description. Also most of them are in Dutch.
So here is the used weather condition:

Here you’ll see the icons folder and the matching weather icon

I think you’ll have to rename them to match the weather descriptions in your language.

I’m no expert or coder, I just managed to edit it all to how I like it better :upside_down_face:

The Homepage views things like weather, home-status of the household (incuding the cat), postal delivery and trash pickup and temperatures around the house.

The energy-tab gives me an overview of realtime energy usage. Per device, and total.

The cost tab, displays energy prices, current and feature and shows me the status of my energy bill in realtime.

The battery tab shows all battery devices sorted into categories and by percentage.

As you can see, there are very few elements of controll on my dashboard. Of course it is possible to add things like thermostats and lights, but I have found that I would never go to my dashboard to turn on a light. So dashboard is mostly to precent the most relevant info in an organized fashon.

Pressing any element on the dashboard gives you charts of the devices history. Kind of like homeys insights.

This is HA?

yes

You wouldn’t happen to have the English names for them? Or at least some sort of translation (that could later be fixed)? My Dutch isn’t all that good :wink: My Homey info is in Norwegian, though.

The temps in my picture are correct, but there should be different icons over them. The inside should have a roof or something, and it looks correct in the html. As for the suns in the left column, I think these should have the times for sun up and sun down, but that doesn’t show.

For some of them.
There should be a list of English weather descriptions somewhere.
Have to dig into that…
You can use a .SVG viewer and change the matching icon names according to the weather description at my.homey.app (is that description in EN or in NO language?)

Not sure, it works with Chrome and Firefox here. And maybe the used layout type (tablet, hub etc.) makes a difference?

I’m using google translate now and hope to fix as many of them as possible - but…what’s the difference between hevigeesneeuw and hevigesneeuw? Might be more, but as far as I can see it’s “hevige esneeuw” and “hevige sneeuw”…?..

Hi @Tiwas - I’m the founder of SharpTools.io so feel free to tag me if you have any questions.

Is €2.33/mo ridiculously expensive? Also keep in mind that we have a free tier which includes one dashboard for free. :smiley:

A key thing with SharpTools is we wanted to make things easy to use while still having a deep set of customization options. The result of that is it’s plug-and-play, has drag-and-drop functionality, and can be configured as you desire right from the UI.

If you’re not already part of the SharpTools↔Homey beta, join the SharpTools community and I can grant you access. :slight_smile: