Power supply can cause slow Homey Pro 2023

Alright, that makes sense. So “shipped with the new Homey Pro” belongs to the second sentence. :slight_smile:

Also quite interesting, recommended power supply from Raspberry is not compatible with the Ethernet USB-C adapter due to the nondetachable cable- or did I miss something ?

That’s why they say

If you do not have or use the Homey Pro Ethernet Adapter …

1 Like

I’m idiot or it’s because I didn’t sleep today much and can’t read - you are right, sorry. :wink: I understood USB-C adapter and not other USB-C power supply :wink:

Yes, my email didn’t say that

I’m getting this with the original power adapter. So… I don’t need to use a different one? Or could it still be that things wil run better with a different power supply… I mean, is the cpu clockspeed the only reference?

This is a better reference:

“You can also check the Developer Tools for videoCoreUnderVoltageCurrently — it should be false .”

1 Like

I just received an original Raspberry Pi 4 15W USB-C power supply, as suggested by @Emile.

But the graphics look the same as with my iPad charger. Still drops in CPU clock frequency. The straight line around 15.00h is where I changed the power supply (I would expect to see a clock frequency of 0, not 1.5 GHz at that time).
Both before and after 15.00h my ethernet adapter was not connected (due to wrong connectors for that situation).

I ask my self if these drops are normal or that anything else can be wrong…

i got the same lines but with the original adapter

I have no idea how the cpu of a RPI is controlled but it -may- very well be that when there is not much need for CPU cycles the CPU lowers (is lowered) its frequency to save power/heat build up.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on these CPU’s/ the Kernel can comment on this.

Edit:

Tried ChatGPT, 3rd alinea seems to cover it:

Question
Please explain the Raspberry PI CPU Clock to me, I see drops in the graph

Answer
The Raspberry Pi is a single-board computer that uses a central processing unit (CPU) to carry out instructions and perform computations. The CPU clock on the Raspberry Pi is the rate at which the CPU performs instructions and is measured in Hertz (Hz). The higher the clock speed, the faster the CPU can perform instructions.

The Raspberry Pi CPU clock speed can vary depending on a number of factors such as the workload, temperature, and power management settings. The CPU clock speed is typically set to a default value, but it can be dynamically adjusted up or down based on the system’s needs.

You may see drops in the graph of the CPU clock speed because the Raspberry Pi’s CPU clock speed is not constant, but rather varies based on the system’s needs. For example, when the workload is low, the CPU clock speed may be reduced to save power and reduce heat. When the workload increases, the CPU clock speed may be increased to handle the additional workload.

The Raspberry Pi also has built-in power management features that can adjust the CPU clock speed based on the temperature of the CPU. If the CPU temperature exceeds a certain threshold, the clock speed may be reduced to prevent damage to the CPU.

In summary, the Raspberry Pi’s CPU clock speed can vary based on a number of factors, and drops in the graph are likely due to the dynamic adjustment of the clock speed to optimize performance, power consumption, and temperature.

1 Like

I’m using “Mini DC UPS” as a PSU, and I don’t experience any throttling on the CPU.

|videoCoreUnderVoltageCurrently|false|
|videoCoreUndervoltageOccured|false|
|videoCoreThrottleCurrently|false|
|videoCoreThrottleOccured|false|

This is what I use.

Hmm, sounds reasonable.
My HP23 is not in “production” yet and disabled all flows yesterday. Only got a few devices configured, so it might very well be that my Homey isn’t very busy and CPU clock just peaks for checking for updates or other things like that once in a while.

All (relevant) values in Developer Tools are still on “false”.

You are posting to a community forum, so not adressing Athom. But would you rather have a product delivered that is non-functionable because of being not tested enough? And would you rather have a underdimensioned power-supply?

Aaah forgot to mention, but that is also false indeed. So, no troubles. Still strange that some have this problem, and some don’t. I can dmsee also stressed my cpu some times, but still no low clockspeed. Maybe a bad quality check? Some power adapters are better than others?

Can we use Anker 511 charger (nano3)

@Emile has responded on Slack that the following graph is normal when HP23 isn’t very much loaded.

(I rebooted around 15.00h)

See:

1 Like

We asked about the temperatures of the Raspi.
At 80°C, the Raspi starts to clock down. At 85°C, it reduces the clock even further.
At 90°C, there is a red alert and at 95°C, the CPU burns out.

With the normal Raspi 4, the current CPU temperature can be read out with on-board tools.

(Raspi 4, 8GB, Temp min/max over 24 hours, Active cooling with fan)
Perhaps it would be a suggestion for Athom to make the temperature visible via the Homey firmware.

1 Like

It’s available in Insights:

And on the dev pages:

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. My 23 hasn’t arrived yet. But I planned to put Homey 19, Homey 23 and the Raspi 4 with SSD on a laptop cooler. At least with the Raspi, this has brought about a reduction of 10°C.

51oO+peTsoL.AC

Yesterday I have been cooling down using Stella Artois (I’m not joking), as the temps were reaching about 80C…but it did not prevent HP2023 crashing constantly

1 Like