Pairing Ikea tradfri problems

Hi,

I’m trying to expand my homey system with two Ikea Tradfri gu10 dimmable spots. First I had problemen that homey didn’t find the spots but after resseting the spots homey starts the pairing persoon. Only of stops at that point to. Homey says something like: appliance will be added. And after sometime it says no zigbee device detected. Or of say something went wrong try another time

1 Like

I’ve had Ikea Trådfri running in Homey before, tried for a while having them connected via the bridge, but decided to go back to direct connection yesterday after updating to latest Homey FW and the beta of the Trådfri app as I need them as repeaters - and have had absolutely no luck adding the bulbs to Homey again…
Have tried both RGB and two different types of adjustable white - no success whatsoever - resetting them and re-adding them to the Trådfri bridge works without any problems at first try…

I haven’t managed yet, but looking at this thread might help: Smartthings

Gave up - moved all Trådfri to run via Deconz in a Docker container controlling them via an integration in Home Assistant…

I had the same problem. Solved by first pairing the lamps to Ikea Gateway and waiting for all the lamps to update their firmware.

Afterwards I had no issues pairing them to Homey.

Note: Also had the lamps very close to Homey during pairing.

I finally managed by setting up every bulb right next to Homey. They wouldn’t connect to Homey for the first time or be reset anywhere else. I just put a lamp with an E27 and a lamp with an E14 socket next to Homey. After setting up a bulb next to Homey (setting it for the intended zone straight away) I moved it to the intended spot and it kept working.

I have two GU10 spots which are located in the kitchen where Homey is, so no problem there. For lamps that are controlled by the same wall switch I had to remove the lamps that were set up to be able to set up the other ones one by one. Only when all of them were set up I could add the lamps I previously set up and control them individually using Homey.

Right now I’m trying to figure out whether I can use the Tradfri RGB switches and motion sensors with Homey, but no luck yet.

I also cannot get my e14 dimmable bulb to connect, or to reset even. I don’t understand what im doing wrong, also the image of the dimmable e14 shows a bulb while my lamp is a candle shape. Anyone know if it might be even not supported, or any tips?

Pairing Ikea devices seems to be a common problem. I have tried pairing Ikea floalt tradlos for quite a time without success. Tried with homey closed up to the lamp and all other recomended tricks. Seems that their Zigbee protocol dosn’t follow the standard.

No, Homey doesn’t support all Zigbee protocols/profiles.

I have a connected question. I’ve got an Ikea light set with the coloured bulb and remote control (wall switch for turning on/off, dimming, changing colour etc) which are automatically paired with each other out of the box. To pair the bulb to homey requires a reset. Am I correct in thinking I can either pair with homey or pair with the remote?

Ideally I want to control and automate via homey but my wife wants a physical switch. Can I have both or not?

You can try to use the Ikea Tradfri Gateway app for that!

Does require having the gateway, though :wink: but I can confirm that it works very well!

Sadly, the IKEA remote isn’t directly supported by Homey, otherwise you could have connected both the remote and the bulb with Homey, and use flows to control the bulb using the remote (through Homey). Right now, that’s not possible.

Thanks guys for the helpful replies! I’ll buy a gateway! Ikea’s pricing is very reasonable so I’ll keep adding Ikea trådfri units. Hopefully the remote will be added to the homey app one day too.

I would not buy the Tradfri gateway but buy an support wall switch for homey… you do not need the same brand to connect and use all devices. For example I use the Neo Coolcam touch wallswitch for turning on/off my Ikea and Philips Hue lights and then you can setup whatever it needs to do when you “push the button”. An cheaper solution is the Xiaomi Aqara wall switch.

Neo Coolcam Touch Switch: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-Home-Z-wave-Wall-Light-Switch-Home-Automation-Z-Wave-Wireless-Smart-Remote-Control-Light/32795668194.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7b974c4drc2deu

Anyone here who paired the plug succesfully?

Mine was added, but doesn’t work. And I cannot remove it again…

Tried again, and was able to pair after deleting device, when it failed to remove it properly.
The text says “on” all the time though.

Could you please describe how you paired the device?

Plugged the unit in a socket, moved Homey so it was approx 1m from unit, held the button on it for 12 seconds and released. It clicked, then started dimming up/down its LED.
I then added the device through the Homey app.
I kept touching the screen so it didn’t go to sleep, took approx 30 seconds to add it.

1 Like

I give up. IKEA has changed something in the plugs or something. They can’t be added anymore.

1 Like