My new out of the box Homey-Pro will not connect to my WiFi

If the situation is exactly, as described above - then suspecting, that even firmware is not sufficient. I bet on hardware.

Yes, in theory it’s possible improve some SDR firmware algorithms to fight against the inductions… but this all is a theoretic philosophizing.

In practice… first of all, i’d attempt to find some other location for Homey. Even half meter[1] may change the game drastically. Not so good for final solution, but the 3 cm move may also give a sign (5Ghz wavelength ~6cm - half=>3cm). Yeah, not so final-good, as 3cm back-move can be happened very randomly :wink:

[1] RF weakening by square of the distance…

1 Like

I recently bought the same Asus XT8 set and had some problems at first. Since updating the routers firmware to the latest beta, I had no problems anymore. I left WiFi 6 and Smart Connect on, so I have 1 combined SSID for all WiFi bands. Works flawlessly now!
I even activated the second 5GHz band for connecting clients since I wired both nodes.

Changelog of the XT8 beta firmware says it solved issues with IoT compatibility.
See:

1 Like

Not saying Athom/Homey isn’t at fault in some way for this, but it isn’t Homey that is disconnecting from 2.4GHz when the 5GHz radio is switched from 50% to 100% power. Homey does not have a 5GHz radio so there is no way Homey could tell at what power 5GHz is transmitting.

What happens is that the Mesh router kicks Homey of 2.4 thinking it supports 5GHz and will do better when it reconnects to that, only it doesn’t because it can’t. Some routers have options to disable that behavior for certain devices so maybe your router does too?

In that case any 2.4Ghz device would be kicked off the network, and that would be a major bug. Band steering only works when clients explicitly tell the router it supports both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, so if the mesh router thinks Homey supports 5Ghz it was told it does by Homey itself (although I doubt that this is the actual issue, it’s more likely that Homey gets confused by the mesh arrangement).

Hi Guys,

Is this still ongoing.
I have a brand new Homey Pro (2019) from Athom and am having a similar issue. Where it will fall off my wifi for hours or untill I restart it or the router.

Seperate 2.4 and 5ghz said names.
Wireless power set to 50% on both.

I have had a Homey (2016) and (2019) and they have operated fine. Is this a hardware issue with new wifi chip in Pro (2019) or could I just have a dud?

Cheers
Gary

Set 2.4 wireless power to 100% maybe?

This hardware isn’t smart enough to utilise the below features for a 2.4Ghz network?

1. WiFi Agile Multiband
  2. Target Wake Time
  3. Various WMM Settings?

Already done. Plus it has been moved from right beside to 10 metres away.

Temporary turn 5GHz off while trying to add Homey.
More hints:

I got permanent problem with detecting WiFi 2.4GHz by Homey.
I also got Asus XT8, and I’ve bought a Homey Pro for 4 months ago. Everything went well but sometime ago I got problems with connecting to Homey via app (Android phone) and website.
Both 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks were still visible.
I’ve resetted Homey Pro and started a setup, but Homey didn’t show my 2.4GHz wifi in the list!
Combining of bands didn’t help - neither “2.4, 5+5”, “2.4+5+5” or “2.4, 5, 5” combos help my Homey to detect a wifi. Homey sees though other networks…
I tried also to turn off and turn on router; I tried to switch off radios for both 5GHz (via app), that didn’t help.

Because Homey sees other wifi networks in my house, then I suppose that the problem is in router… I don’t know what to do… Router is also pretty new, I’ve bought it about a year ago, I cannot throw it and buy a new one…

So now my Homey is resetted, it doesn’t detect my network and cannot complete setup. That’s why some devices don’t work at all without Homey Pro.

Homey’s WiFi is a snowflake, just look at it wrong and it won’t work. Typically, once Homey is connected to a network, it will work, but it’s the initial connection setup that seems to be the biggest problem.

If it sees other networks in your house, would it be possible to use one of those AP’s to temporarily act as a bridge for your main WiFi network? Or temporarily configure one to have the same SSID/password as your main network and change the SSID on your main router to something else temporarily), and when Homey has successfully connected with the temporary AP, switch things back again.

1 Like

Those are not mine routers Homey sees… :frowning: These are neighbour’s routers…

Oh meh :frowning: Perhaps you can use your phone as a temporary access point?

1 Like

Perhaps you can use your ISP’s modem? If it is not only a modem but router too, you can enable it’s 2.4 GHz wifi and use that as a temporary network.

I have noticed that newer firmware in the XT8 has improved connecting IoT devices at some points too. The changelog also mentions this. Perhaps it improves connecting Homey too.
I always keep my XT8’s firmware up to date and have never had problem, I must say…

1 Like

I’ve updated firmware not so long time ago, couple of months ago, and it still has latest version.

Do you mean that I could connect both routers? You mean, connect WAN to TX8 and from it connect to native router? And then use this native router’s wifi?

I tried my wife’s iPhone 6s tethering mode, Homey didn’t see it (but I could connect with my Android phone to her network).

Have you tried replacing your Homey’s power supply? The original one is a known cause for all kinds of random issues (even if it’s relatively new).

1 Like

Latest update is from Aug, 22nd 2022, so if you updated a few months ago, you can’t have the latest version… :wink:

No.
Not in every way totally correct, but to keep it simple:
Your modem is the device that “receives” the internet signal from your internet provider. A router “routes” this signal throughout your house. This can be the same device as your modem, but doesn’t have to.
If your modem is a router too, a lot of people use it that way and use the XT8 only as an access point only. That is a device that only “translates” the cabled internet into a wireless wifi-signal (and vv).

If you log on to the modem, is there an option to enable wifi? Then it is a router too. If so, enable 2.4 GHz wifi and give it the same network name (SSID) and password as your XT8 uses. Shut down your XT8’s temporarily and see if you can connect your Homey to the modem/router’s wifi.

If it does, disable the modem/router’s wifi again and power up the XT8’s. Good chance Homey then automatically connects to the XT8.

1 Like

Oh mamma mia. I made it work. While I was trying to fix AP with my native router, I powered off Homey for 15-20 minutes. When I turned it back to check new WiFi, it showed all networks, including my old wifi which was invisible! Probably, I needed to leave Homey unpowered for that time so it restarted properly. :smiley:

2 Likes