IKEA Vallhorn Motion sensor

I have 8 of these and can’t get any to pair, it’s a real bummer.

Also, the Vallhorn instructions are different from what the Homey app tells me to do. The Vallhorn instructions say:
Getting started without DIRIGERA hub

1. Make sure the smart product you want to connect is installed and powered on.
  2. Hold the motion sensor close to the smart product (less than 5 cm away).
  3. Press and hold the Pairing button for at least 10 seconds. A red LED will steadily shine under the lens of the motion sensor. The smart product will pulse with a white LED once connected.
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/manuals/vallhorn-wireless-motion-sensor-smart-white__AA-2402442-4-100.pdf

But the prompt in Homey tells me to hit the pair button 4 times in 5 seconds and wait for it to pulse, instead of holding for 10 seconds and waiting for a steady shine of the LED. Does anyone know which is correct?

Both. See also here.

Hello everyone,

I can absolutely confirm the comments. I also bought 2 motion sensors and have the same problems with one of them. The big problem with the workaround with batteries is that most of those sold in Germany simply have 1.5 volts.

Regards,
Bender

NiMH rechargeables won’t.

Hey Robert,

Yes, you’re right. But actually it is not an option for me to buy rechargeables only for testing. Anyway i’m testing now with the night mode of the sensor and for at least 30 minutes i’ve got no false-positive detections yet!

Regards,
Bender

Edit: that’s no solution.
Edit2: problem solved with buying the rechargeables :frowning:

Hi All,

I figured I’d update. I made a support ticket against the app, and after a little back and forth, they asked me to enable experimental updates, since they believe there was an issue with the zigbee pairing and it was fixed in the next patch. Turns out they were right. I’m now able to pair the motion sensors when I was unable to before.

Does anyone get battery status?
I have two Vallhorn and none of them shows battery status.
Tried to repair and also remove/add again a few times.
Have tried both 1.5V and 1.2V batteries.
Have activated “Enable battery alarm” under properties.

Edit: I get OK on battery in the Homey app on my phone (android) but not in the webUI (just a ?)

None of my Ikea devices show their battery status correctly. I bought them in January, replaced their AA 1900 or AAA 750 Ikea batteries several times, and still I have this:

Interestingly, the devices work fine most of the time, it’s just the battery status that’s confusing.

I had the same experience with false positives. I placed one in my office as a second motion sensor. My first motion sensor is an Aqara that has been working great. However, it doesn’t always see me when I’m sitting at my computer, and after 20 minutes the lights go out. So I thought I’d set one of these Vallhorn’s up right next to the computer so my advanced flow would continually have an active zone. Unfortunately, although it worked to keep my office zone active while I was there, after I left my office, the lights kept turning back on. In my Homey app I could see the sensor spontaneously activating. After reading this thread, I’ve decided to return it, because I don’t want to have to mess around with 1.2V batteries.

Hello,

I’ve been using EBL AAA 1100mAh rechargeable batteries for over 2 months now, and the sensors are still functioning without any false alerts. I had tried using non-rechargeable batteries, and I was experiencing false alerts every 20 minutes. However, it’s impossible to know the remaining battery life because the battery percentage always stays at 1% on the sensors in the web application and on the iPhone, only indicating “OK,” whether using rechargeable batteries or not. I’ve also opened a ticket with Homey to address this issue.

Yes, I have the same problem :frowning:

This unfortunately isn’t something we can fix from our side. Battery monitoring on these devices basically works by looking at the battery voltage, this makes it pretty unreliable. Besides that the IKEA devices seem notoriously bad at monitoring the voltages, the same issues arises when using the devices with the offical IKEA bridge :melting_face:

Have the same issue. Bought 2 in December last year and pairing them took a minute.
Now I bought 2 new ones and they are impossible to pair.
I see that have been 2 updates of the app with relation to Vallhorn.
, could there be a problem there?

If by “impossible to pair” you mean the pairing process times out or is unable to find the devices: that part is handled by Homey’s core, not by apps.

It doesn’t even start the pairing process so I’d say it doesn’t find it

Still unclear: you can’t put the device in pairing mode, you can’t get Homey to start the pairing process? That’s both different from not being able to find the device, or the pairing process timing out, because you’d get feedback for both from the Homey app.

]

:slightly_smiling_face: restarted Homey, app, again and now it workes

1 Like

Hi,
I’m stil stuck in the paring process. How did you solve it? 4 short klicks or 10s klick? Should there be a light flashing? It only flashes when I insert my 1,2V rechargeable Ansmann batteries.
Hope you can help me out :slight_smile:

You can find instructions on how to put the device in pairing mode here: IKEA E2134 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT