How to clear logging (diagnostic reports) on Homey pro 2023?

Filing multiple issues with diagnostic reports results in 2.1 gig of log files on my homey pro 2023 and disk full. Tried to google to find help to erase them, but can’t find it. Does anyone know how to clear/remove these diagnostic reports?

Uninstalling an app should erase all related items?

That’s a good suggestion, thank you. And I would also like to clear all the system diagnostic reports, because I think that’s taking the most space on disk, because I’ve generated mainly system diagnostic reports.

Any ideas how to erase those?

Well, that’s what I meant, the diagnostic reports should dissapear as well, in theory.
AFAIK they gather data in a temp file, and mail it to the dev or to Athom?
So it should be temporary data which should disappear after sending is completed / after a reboot.
I think you should inform Athom about this.
(There’s a lot of ‘shoulds’ here :upside_down_face:)

That’s a good suggestion too. I’ve filed a ticket about it, unfortunately without diagnostic report because it failed to generate because of the full disk.

And after restarting, the whole system crashed (red led ring pulsating) and restoring my online backup caused all my zigbee devices to become unreachable (error message: are you sure they are powered on? ). That’s another issue and I’ve filed it as well.

So beware: don’t rely on cloud backups (paying for it!) for homey 2023 yet but only on USB backup.

1 Like

All this points to other issues. I checked and it looks like diagnostics reports aren’t saved locally at all (at least I wasn’t able to find any), so there might be other (internal) issues that are filling up the system logfiles (which you can’t remove).

Do you have a USB-made backup that was made before the issues started?

Robert, thank you for your reply.

Yes I’ve got a USB backup of 10 days ago, but I’ll lose several full days of repairing, migration and flow reprogramming work. So I am looking for a way to restore my most recent cloud or usb backup, get rid of the log files AND get back working zibee devices. I tried many things but upto now I didn’t succeed…

Let me give you some of todays tries/test results, executed in chronological order:

• USB backup of crashed system with full disk and 2,1gb of logs

• many irrelevant backup and restore tries

• USB restore backup of crashed system → system managed to start up! 2,1gb of log files, disk full, zigbee devices working

• disabled SSH experiment → 125mb of disk space available

• made cloud backup

• uninstalling all apps → 2,1 gb log files remain

• factory reset initiated by app → 2,1 gb log files remain

• USB firmware upgrade (reinstalled rc.65) → 2,1 gb log files remain

• USB factory reset → all logfiles are cleared

• restoring cloud backup → logfiles remain cleared, but none of my (100+) zigbee devices are responding

• restoring USB backup of 10 days earlier → 11,6 mb of logfiles, 2Gb free diskspace, zigbee devices work fine (but some were not yet added and I lose a lot of logic)

• generating three system diagnostic reports → 12,1mb of logfiles, 2gb free diskspace

Because three diagnostic reports only use 0,5mb of diskspace and uninstalling all apps do not diminish the space taken up by logs I agree with you that something else in the system must have created 2,1 gigs of logs.

Do you know if it could be caused by some apps in test phase like groups? Or other apps recently released in 3.x API like Capabilities and Flow Utilities?

So at what point after this does the system start filling up?

Good question, but I don’t know, because I restored to latest USB backup now with experiments disabled and see the system is filling up at a rate of approximately 4mb/hour.

If I disable all apps: filling up stops. If I enable one app, doesn’t matter which one (extrapolating: tried icasa and tradfri apps alternately). Filling up starts again but slower, approximately 0,5mb/hour.

Don’t know what to do to stop it filling up and also don’t know how to clear the logs. Any ideas?

It was already mentioned: contact Athom. The logs that are filling up your system are almost certainly system logs, and there’s something going on with your Homey. It could be a hardware issue, it could be related to the power supply issues, who knows.

Homey Pro v10.0.0-rc.69 has been released to the experimental channel!
System

• Fixed an issue where system logs would grow too large in size.

@Eric_Richters so this should be fixed

@robertklep thanks for your advice. I did contact athom and I’ve sent them an usb backup to investigate. Rc.69 is their (fast) response to the issue.

@spkesDE thank you for notifying me about the rc.69 experimental update.

@Emile thank you for your help. Unfortunately the issue is not yet resolved with this update. Although you’ve worned me that it takes upto three reboots to clear the logs, after 3 software initiated and 3 hardpowered reboots the logs have only grown in size (filled up the space available after disabling the ssh experiment)

Hope you’ll acknowledge and fix the other issue too (restoring homey 2023 cloud backup makes all Zigbee devices unresponsive). Customers paying for cloud backup should be able to rely on it for restoring a 100% working and healthy system.

Rc.70 seems to solve this issue, thanks Athom. The logs are cleared and I now have 2,3gb disk space available.

Hope Athom will fix the above mentioned backup issue too soon.