[Homeyduino] E-paper for Homey

for now use my homey app. which will work with 1,2,3 that will be a big difference.

1.2.3 sends 2 udp packets, too many values or data , goes over 1460 bytes , my app will use tcp when there is packet loss. This is now very stable.

1 Like

Suggestion for @Edwin_Biemond update the version number to v2.0.1… to distinguish your from mine version…

Hi everyone!
Those who have already realized this great project by sebyldino will certainly not learn anything here, but maybe this post will help those who have not yet done it.

3D printing of the case
The STL files are available in the GitHub of sebyldino’s project.
Personally, I printed the case by reducing the size to 99% in the slicer. This makes it a little easier to align the screen with the frame without the grey lines at the edge of the screen showing too much. It should be aligned at the top left, as there is a little margin at the bottom and right. Be careful, if you reduce it to 98% for example, you might have a problem with lack of space on the right (screen connection, see second to last photo below). So 99% seems to me a good balance.

Actually, I don’t use it with the cover on the back. I put a small nail in the wall and just hung the box up and left it open.

I think there is a small potential for improvement of the case (unfortunately I don’t master Fusion 360 :wink:, but most of the improvements mentioned here could be done directly with the slicer). Firstly, the thickness of the frame at the front could be reduced so that the screen is “closer” to the front. Secondly, at least with the battery I’m using here, the case could be 5mm thinner and there would still be enough room. Finally, the holes for the screws and the rear cover attachment could be directly integrated.

Battery
Regarding the battery, I installed a LiPo 1S 1500mAh with a JST 2.0 plug. Be careful, once the plug is in, it is very difficult to remove it, at least for me I did not find how to do it, even if I forced a little. A tip: buy the battery from a local dealer. Indeed, the batteries ordered in particular in China do not always arrive at their destination, it remains a particular merchandise not necessarily appreciated by the airline companies (this is my personal experience…).

The battery doesn’t need to have a JST 2.0 plug, as a JST 2.0 plug is supplied with the display, so you just have to replace it if necessary (but you have to get the soldering iron out…).

I fixed the battery with insulating tape:

Finally, I fixed the screen in the frame with modelling paste. This allows to position the screen easily and especially to make small corrections of alignment very easily (which is not possible with tape).

Final result:

Thank you sebyldino for this great project :smiley:

8 Likes

@Picsou621 thx for sharing this experiences. Very helpful and encouraging to do the next steps.

I’m new to LiPo batteries. Any idea how long this battery will last? And how do you recharge this battery?

I see you have enabled deep sleep. Which combination of e-paper softwareversion and homeyduino app are you using?

I don’t have the distance yet to know how long the battery lasts, it clearly depends on the refresh rate (which I personally have on 10 minutes), and obviously on the battery capacity in mAh. My current estimate is 1-2 weeks with 1500mAh and 10 minutes, but I think it’s too early to make a concrete statement. Homey’s Insights data is not very stable yet.

Recharging is done simply by plugging in a USB-C cable and a smartphone charger :slight_smile: By the way, you can also power the screen continuously this way.

:rotating_light: Please note! I don’t know with which amperage the charging is done. If it’s 1A, I wouldn’t put a too small battery (like 250mAh), because otherwise the recharge will be too strong and it wouldn’t be good at all for the battery heating (which could catch fire in the worst case). I don’t know if the screen manages the charging power, but I would avoid in any case a too small battery.

1 Like

I don’t have any particular knowledge in programming, I simply followed the guide of sebyldino. The code version is 1.2.2. Concerning the Homeyduino app, it’s just the one available on the store. I know we will have a problem if it is not updated when the new Homey 2023 is released, but for the moment and whatever some people say who pretend they already received their new Homey 2023 box, it is not released yet and there is no real hurry :wink:

I am not an expert of LiPo batteries, but I know from RC models that LiPo batteries must be charged with special chargers and with certain parameters. Also, charging should never be done unattended and unused LiPo batteries should be stored in a fireproof container.
But I don’t know if the board is designed to be able to charge LiPo batteries via the USB-C port. That’s why I chose the board with the 18650 battery holder.

Small wake-up call, your mobile phone has the same type of lipo battery as is being used by @Picsou621.

Batteries used by RC cars are way bigger and usually consist of 2 or more in parallel batteries (also called cells), which is why a special charger is needed, to charge these 2 cell with and to the same voltage charge.

The screen has a charge controller chip build in that futures all safety precautions (over charge, over voltage, short circuit, etc) as is needed.

But do agree, charging should be done when you are there, but that is with all things you charge, though most people usually don’t.

1 Like

You are right in everything you say (I actually have about 25 years of experience with RC models and LiPo recharging), but in the end, the 18650 battery is nothing more than a LiPo with even more capacity than the one I mentioned. The battery I use did not heat up when I first charged it in a supervised manner. But I wouldn’t risk charging a smaller battery that way.

1 Like

Some follow up on my issue’s:

This is solved bij reverting back to version 1.2.2 (still with standard Homeyduino app)

I solved this. Looks like this is a bug in the e-paper code. :thinking:
When changing the deep sleep time to zero (to disable deep sleep), this value isn’t stored in preferences. So after restarting (what the screen does when changing deep sleep), this value is lost and the screen finds the previous value in preferences :frowning:

So I added 2 lines of code after row 43 (inspired by the code above from row 37) in File HomeyFunction.ino, function setTimeDeepSleep.

Old code:

if (value.toInt() == 0) {
    preferences.putBool("deepSleepEnable", false);
    ESP.restart();

New code:

if (value.toInt() == 0) {
    preferences.putInt("timeToSleep", value.toInt());
    preferences.putBool("deepSleepEnable", false);
    delay(1000);
    ESP.restart();

Now it works :crazy_face:

@sebyldino can you fix this in new version of homey e-paper code? Or do you want to have a GitHub bug report on this?

1 Like

Hello,

@JPe4619 , i have an idea to get custom icon on header. It is to remove the action language and i get a place for a new action. Language can be configurate at the same time of wifi directly in the code. I will try it…

I cant add another action but the font can be modify in the code. However you will can display less caracters on screen. I can explain you how do that.

I will see that. Thanks

1 Like

Yes, already figured that out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ok, I suppose you mean I have to issue defect on GitHub.

I’m also working on Dutch translation for weather icons (for KNMI weather app). Will add that to GitHub also later on.

No need. I noted that.

Great! I can add it when you finish it.

1 Like

Got myself a display to use it for the measurements in my sauna!

But still getting frustrated to get te code uploaded. Still get the error:

Compilation error: epd_driver.h: No such file or directory

Searched for 1,5 hour but could not find a solution for this. Anyone…?

Looks like the “ LilyGo-EPD47” files cannot be found (installation guide page 4). Did you install them on the “sketchbook location” (installation guide page 2)?

Hi, I bought a Lilygo T5 and followed the installation manual. This all went fine, the upload was successful. Arduino now shows the text “leaving…Hard resetting via RTS pin…”.
And now?
Linking to Homey is not possible, Lilygo is not found, is not connected to the WiFi.
I’ve been searching the internet for a while for a solution, but haven’t found anything that helps me.

Can someone help me?

After this the e-paper device connects to the wifi network you entered.
Can you check in wifi router if device is connected?
If no, check SSID and password you entered.
If yes, note the ip-address
On homey add device in homeyduino app. If your e-paper device isn’t found automatically, enter the ip-address
Did you come this far?

if it is wifi you will see an error on the screen that it cannot connect, I had that. After that you should see some homey screen that you need to connect.

There is no wifi connection, as i can see in the modem.
Screen Lilygo is still:

Ssid and password in .ino file are correct.