Homey Pro latest upgrade 7.1.6 ... crashed my Zigbee protocol

Hi everybody
Since the latest upgrade for Homey Pro to the version 7.1.6, The Zigbee is not working anymore !
Grr, It’s not the first time I experienced Zigbee crash …
I’m the only one or is-it same situation for everybody ?

I had exactly the same… Needed to reset the Homey (again) and after restoring the back-up (twice) it worked again. I’m using Homey for 2.5 years now, but it seems that it’s getting more unstable overtime…

3 Likes

I restored a backup done with the previous version of Homey Pro 7.1.5 and … and finally it works.

Rm: for Homey developers:
Restore procedure from laptop with Win10 20H2 build 19042.1348 in Edge browser was not possible. Angular code executed in the browser has been blocked because the ip 10.199.198.1 has been blocked by the browser for security reasons! I think you will have to adapt your restore procedure to comply with the security policy now in place on the Microsoft platform.
Otherwise, good luck with non-technical users.

Then you were running v7.1.6 RC?
From what I understand you can’t go back from a live firmware version to a previous live version

You have to support@athom.com for that I guess. They’re (almost) not reading our msgs in here

1 Like

Yes it’s possible to rollback to the previous version ;

1. Hold your Homey upside down for 1 minute to enter recovery mode.
  2. When Homey enters the recovery, please go to setup.athom.com with a laptop or desktop.
  3. Select your preferred language, Press the ALT button to make continue in browser visible and click “continue in browser”, shown in grey.
  4. While entering your WiFi information hold your ALT button and keep holding it until you get the “Download full update” option.
  5. When this process is done, please press the button “keep your data”, and let Homey finish the setup process.

Thank you for your suggestion … I have writen an email to support …

It seems like i’m doing something wrong.
Everytime I’m getting the latest firmware. Which was already installed. I’m nog using experimental firmware, is it even possible then? I only have one backup left which is 7.1.5. all the rest is 7.1.6.

You can’t go back to a previous version of Homey’s firmware using backups (or any other way, for that matter).

That’s too bad.

So there is no other solution to get back all my ZigBee products?

It has already been mentioned here: support@athom.com

1 Like

@Franz_Boterdael says he pulled the trick :upside_down_face:
Yes, I’m very curious too about the how-to :grimacing:

Yes it is true, well it was my error, you cannot downgrade the firmware when you are on a live firmware (therefore, you are out of “experimental scope”).

Too fast, after restoring the backup, I thought I was in version 7.1.5

But in fact I was fine in version 7.1.6:

But after I restored the backup, although I was still on version 7.1.6, my Zigbee network issue was gone … all of my devices were back to working. Restoring the backup therefore solved the problem.

If you are not in live firmware but in “experimental mode”, when you start a restore procedure, this rollback functionality is available: under firmware verification, you must keep the ALT button pressed, you will be able to return to the ** latest stable version **. Which is the current version !

1 Like

You bought a lot of troubles with homey.
No logs.
Just a ‘not working blackbox’.
Just guess what is happening.
Reset and reinstall all you’re devices.

So, what are you still doing here? :grin: :wave:

When you say black box, are you referring this …

(sorry , just thought it was ironic.)

Hi all, thanks for sharing the information but i am also experiencing issues with my Homey 7.2.1 Pro version where i regulary need to reset the homeu because the Zigbee crashes. Am i the only one, also looking at the last message of nov 2021?
What would be the logical next step, reset network and restore an backup? Thanks all

I also have Homey 7.2.1
I have no problem with Zigbee Whatsoever before my first reboot, however if I reboot Homey Zigbee is completely lost and I have to do a factory reset to get it back up again. (removing all zigbee devices doesn’t work either, it just leaves the zigbee driver hanging.) Strange thing is that I can add all zigbee devices and it works fine up until the point where it is rebooted and I have to do a factory reset again.

I just learned that whenever Zigbee devices are first connected to the controller there will be a firmware upgrade downloaded from the controller to the device. Thus I have a theory that when I tried to connect 20 devices at once it might cause the Zigbee network to be overwhelmed for a while and as such maybe Homey might have issues trying to sort out everything during early reboot of the network. I will for this reason try to give every device some time and connect only one new device to the network every day. Hopefully this will sort out my problems.

I also read that it is a common misconception that the mesh controller should always be configured on the primary controller. Moving the mesh controller configuration to a secondary controller can free up processing power on Homey. Not sure if this is really required for me but it is likely that I have misunderstood this. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a secondary controller that will make Zigbee control on Homey more reliable?

That’s not correct, at least not in a general sense. Some controllers may do that, but (typically) only for devices of the same brand as the controller. Homey is a generic controller that has no abilities to update Zigbee device firmware.

You read the Control4 document, I understand (from this question and also your firmware remark above).

The same document also states the following: “Each mesh has one mesh controller that connects the mesh devices to the Control4 platform. […] A project may include multiple mesh controllers, but each mesh can have only one mesh controller.”

With Homey, you can also have multiple “mesh controllers”. For instance, the Hue Bridge also creates its own mesh. So that could be considered as a “secondary controller”. However, just like with Control4, a Zigbee device can only be part of one mesh, and each mesh is completely separate.

Thank you,
I am pretty new to this so I learn along the way.
Yes, it was the Control4 document, but it is the best document I have seen to explain how Zigbee works. And I assumed that the protocol would work or at least supposed to work the same way on every brand. Maybe it was a false assumption, but I guess most of it still is quite relevant. (If you have suggestions for further reading that may be more relevant I would be very happy)

Not sure if my strategy of only adding 1-2 devices every day to the mesh is the way to solve my problems, but it’s still working nicely and I’m up in 8 devices now. I am a little bit worried that the problems might re-emerge when I cross 10 but I guess I will know in a few days.

Another thought that crossed my mind about reasons for Zigbee acting up when I reboot:
The issues started when the homey was rebooted by unplugging it’s power. Although this should be safe according to the manual I keep wondering if there might be some unsaved Zigbee state in the Homey device that got lost. Every time when I add new devices now I only reboot through the app in order to test if it still works so I guess this reboot is a bit safer than the other, is it?