Homey Pro (Early 2023) - (P)Review Alpha Testing

Not sure why, there are flow cards that you can’t do with apps, as example:
Change the led ring’s brightness.
Restart an app.
Change the speakers volume (not valid for Homey Pro (early 2023).

Flows that Athom can build in have way more possibilities then app makers have (they aren’t depended on API endpoints), even with web API access which increases those abilities from native apps API

1 Like

Emile said what he said, that’s not only theory, it is what they want to create.
The LED Apps still have one function: Eat up space and compute resources.

You can use these Apps on a Homey model Pre 2023.
You can’t use these Apps on a Homey Pro (Early 2023).
On Homey Pro (Early 2023) You get a couple of default Flow cards from Athom out of the box for short term animations and that is it.

Nothing strange or contradictory for me.

Edit corrected / clarified.

1 Like

The Undertaker is prepared.
The Raspberry Pi CM4 computing module is connected to two multipin connectors. If the new Homey has these connections under the original computing module, it will be very easy to change the heart.
In any case, a CM4 with 8 GB RAM is waiting for the new Homey.

3 Likes

Where do you think Homey’s OS is stored?

That’s where USB backup comes around the corner:

Create Backup

This action will create a full-system backup of Homey Pro, including settings, apps, experiments and the system software. A file that ends with .homeyprobackup will be created.

2 Likes

Correct,
Athom (I think Emile) said or answered somewhere that it should be possible that way,
Not sure if it really functions that way.

But anyone feel free to send me an RPI 8GB Ram Compute module, I can probably test it for you. (PM me for delivery address.)
Not sure if you need the one With or Without embedded WiFi but my best guess is with.
CM4108032 - Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, BCM2711, ARM Cortex-A72, 8GB RAM, 32GB EMMC, WiFi

Just as @Dijker has described it.
I assume that a module with Wlan and EMMC memory is needed. The software will then be restored via the USB backup.
Ultimately, however, no one can say yet whether it works and the connections fit. It will take some time, but I will take a close look, test it and report back.

3 Likes

I’ll call it. @Undertaker Homey Pro with the best CM4 Module and 20 antennas sticking out for maximum coverage and giving a s**t about the warranty.

2 Likes

I qouted Emile, the theory and assumptions what I was talking about is, that the led ring apps should not work on the 2023.
But later on, Emile said

So I just wanted to know what works and what doesn’t while you have the actual Homey 2023 on your desk.
But nevermind, you seem to be in a bad temper.

1 Like

Interesting to see that people are talking about modding something before the base product arrived on their doorstep :smiley:

5 Likes

One question: can you easily add the pro to your current setup (cloud/bridge) or do you have to create a new environment with the pro and add the bridge to it? A backup and restore from cloud to pro is not possible in my opinion namely.

There is a German saying:
“The early bird catches the worm.”
In the German forum they would be disappointed if there was no new section in:
“Uncle Undertaker’s Tinkering Lesson” on this topic.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Homey (cloud) and (any) Homey Pro are 2 entirely different things, and you’ll have to start new when you receive your Homey Pro.
Homey Bridge can’t be connected yet to Homey Pro (Early 2023), this will be added later in Q1 (according to the current timeline).

3 Likes

As more developers are receiving their Homey Pro early 2023 more bugs are probably found and reported the coming days, and hopefully also fixed in the next weeks.

One difference that I reported but probably not going to be fixed ̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶H̶o̶m̶e̶y̶ ̶A̶l̶a̶r̶m̶s̶.̶
̶
̶W̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶H̶o̶m̶e̶y̶’̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶A̶l̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶M̶o̶r̶e̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶m̶e̶n̶u̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶l̶o̶d̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶F̶l̶o̶w̶-̶t̶r̶i̶g̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶a̶r̶m̶.̶
̶
̶F̶o̶r̶ ̶H̶o̶m̶e̶y̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶ ̶E̶a̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶l̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶o̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶A̶c̶c̶o̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶l̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶(̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶s̶t̶a̶n̶d̶)̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶s̶i̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶a̶k̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶

Beside that a couple of things are shuffled to a more logical location,
but that is let’s say more cosmetic in the Mobile Apps.
The New mobile App will become later available for all Homey’s (Older Pro’s, Cloud and New Pro.)

Here the differences on the current Beta, that is needed to setup the new Homey Pro.

Left to Right

• Old App/Homey Pro (2018) (as Manager)
  • New App/Same Homey Pro (as Owner, So +Backup option)
  • New App/Homey (Pro Early 2023) (as Owner)

Note:

• Homey Selector is moved
  • Account setting Menu moved
  • Batteries Menu Added (was down below Energy)
  • Family Menu (Moved out of Settings)

(other things maybe because of different phones used.)
Don’t pin me on things that maybe still change in the Beta later.!

EDIT:

3 Likes

Quite a distinct iOS look (even though you’re on Android).

3 Likes

Alarms going away is dissapointing, not that using them to make a sound on Homey, but to trigger flows they are great. Alarms are currently the nicest way to have dynamic weekly scheduling where time for an alarm could change based on the environment.

I hope ManagerAlarms will remain, even though Homey Pro 2023 wont be able to sound it.

2 Likes

+1! Alarms is the fastest way to control some flows like heating up the bathroom in the morning depending on what time you get up.

2 Likes

Same for me, use Sonos an Googlehome speakers and start other time depended flows with it.

Please contact Athom about that but I was surprised also and expected it was a bug. But what I understood Athom doesn’t want to implement it as it is hardly used.

Will do.