[Homey Pro (Early 2023)] App unsupported list

Hey Robert,

Then transfer your (source) code over to another developer. I am sure there are many more developers like me, who don’t make an issue about it, and are willing to update old Apps from sdk2 to sdk3 for apps that have been that long behind on updates.
Without getting paid.

I mean, for you it’s also all about helping other users who are forced by Athom, right; it has nothing to do with getting a new Homey out of it you said.

So, please really help other users by transfering your app (or updating it yourself ofc. :wink: )

4 Likes

Sure, I have a few apps that I can transfer to you:

Let me know your user ID and Github account so I can transfer them to you.

As for HomeyKit, I’m not going to transfer that app to another developer, at least not until I’ve either received enough donations for a rewrite to SDK3 or until I no longer want to wait.

1 Like

So, not actually forced by Athom (SDK3 is out there a long time), but forced by an App Developer, who knew from the start it is build for free!

And yes, i do understand your many (sometimes even valid) reasons for dislike about how Athom handled a lott of stuff.

But right now, you, not Athom, are using the upcomming changes to “blackmail” users.

And yes, i trully believe that people like you, who have spend that much resources into helping Athom grow, should be compensated on a more regular basis.

I personally have still donated more to other developers then i recieved myself, which i find pretty straigns.

But, still, i hope that nobody donates to you for this SDK2 to SDK3 migration, because if users will cave to this kind of pressure, not only from Athom, but also from App Developers, this could be the end of the Community App Development.

Plus, it would be ridiculous if the way for App Developers to make money would be: Not upgrade your app to the new SDK and just wait for Athom to require it on the new devices and then aks for donations to do the job.

Because that would mean that trying it nicely would go out of the window: Blackmail cannot be allowed to become the Community App Developers main business model.

So, please Robert, i beg you, knee on the floor (showing you the respect you deserve for your long service to the Homey Community): rewrite to SDK3 for free and hope for gratidute or transfer this hughly(?) used App over to someone who will.

6 Likes

I disagree. This whole ordeal wouldn’t be necessary if Athom decided to keep SDK2 apps in the store, like they are now, for existing Homey users. But they want developers to support their new toy, so they’re forcing them to upgrade their apps, by way of the community. If only enough users will complain to the developer, they’re hoping the developer feels forced to put in the work. For free, obviously, because that’s how it’s always been: Athom will reap the benefits and the app developer (maybe) gets a hoody.

And you’re doing exactly what they are hoping for, guilt-shaming other developers into either doing the work for free or to simply transfer their hours and hours of work to another developer (who, no doubt, will then receive a bunch of donations because they spent a few hours).

Let’s start with transferring the apps that I mentioned to your account.

1 Like

Indeed: This is there business model. Always has been. As far as i know, this has never been a secret.

But Robert, may i let you in on a thing, and yes this is my business :slight_smile:

You are requiring people to donate to do a certain thing: This is, by dutch law(!), not allowed, and all donations you get for this are required to be submitted to the IRS as Taxable Income.
Just so you know. :slight_smile:
This is a public topic, and some readers might not like to be blackmailed into donating, so i might be more carefull.

Now, let’s make it a package deal: i’ll happely take over these (unused?) apps including HomeyKit App.

1 Like

Sue me.

@Arie_J_Godschalk I’ve seen you’ve taken over the Chronograph app, is the apps code still available to look into? I’ve seen the code of your other apps are mostly hidden, if that’s your policy I’d urge every developer to not transfer apps to you.

It’s no longer mandatory to open source apps, but this has been changed by Athom to get companies onboard for development. It is however an unwritten rule between community developers that we keep our code open source so we can help each other out.

Sorry Danee, i’ll put it all on open again right now.

I have a business account for BitBucket where i store my repos, and because of some business i had closed of all open repos.
Just a sec!

Edit:

They are all opensourced again:
https://bitbucket.org/QlusterIT

And the specific link to this is QlusterIT / nl.qluster-it.chronograph — Bitbucket

Also, an Update to the Chronograp app in test, version 1.2.3, including the link in the App Store to the Repo (as i have with all my apps, just silly forgot to put them back open last week (the were always open, ask around :wink: )

Hey @robertklep ,

I have started a topic: [Discussion to Sulotion] How can community App builders be rewarded? - Developers - Homey Community Forum

Perhaps you think it is silly or it is way to late for you, but i really hope you could share your valueable insights in how developers can get rewarded more to there likings.

I understand if you think it would be waste of time, but i personally try to achive my goals (in a positive way) and i trully hope you will join there to help discuss this together to get to a solution!

3 Likes

Thanks

Wow, and you tell me not to make assumptions :rofl:

Wow :man_facepalming:

Nice job of taking things out of context.

Sorry, i now feel like i have opened up a bear-hole , getting people on the edge of there irritation level.

Perhaps i should have not posted stuff here, especially since i don’t even use that app.

Danee said “If […]”, so it ain’t an assumptions yet, and i had the possibility to react and clarify, so no harm done.

I am glad he reminded me that most of them were closed, only the Homesh (just created apps) were open. Because i also very much dislike it when Homey Apps are not open-sourced.

The sun is shining here, how about there?

You should not argue here. Every developer does very good work and without you Homey would not have this success for a long time. You are a huge advantage for Athom because many Homeys would never have been sold without the apps of the community developers.
The biggest donations to you should come from Athom because they also get the money your work generates.
For all developers, at least a big discount on the new Homey would be appropriate.
Be a team and don’t fight. Without you Athom would have a serious problem!

4 Likes

The advantage is more early access to it (priority on ordering). For myself it is still a lot of money vs family costs these days with energy and grocery increases.

2 Likes

Thats more an advantage for Athom then developers :wink:

1 Like

Had contact with Athom about Mi-light whether this app will also be transferred to SDK3. This is what I got as an answer from them.

For now there are no plans to update the MI-Light app to SDK 3.

I have given an answer.

Somewhat surprised. Last time I was asked which lamps I would like to have added. In fact, I was made happy with a dead bird. What I’m surprised about is that athom let me buy all the lamps from Mi-light because they support that in the homey and now they abandon me and leave me with the lamps.

Their response to this

*We mainly focus on the development of Homey itself. When we asked which devices you were missing in our app, it was also clearly stated that we can’t make any promises about these devices being added at all. At the moment it has unfortunately been decided not to develop the app further. We hope that MI-light or a community developer will eventually take over the app. The best way to realize adding new devices is to contact MIlight directly. *

Homey is an open platform, so this brand can jump in and develop an integration itself. The more people send this brand their requests, the faster this process goes, so your message helps too!
*You can easily make your request known to MI-light Contact Us via the following link . *

Perhaps time can be found in the future to still work on the Mi-light app. But for now there are unfortunately no plans for this.

my answer:

Where I’m also surprised that you expect the developers to transfer it to SDK3 and you don’t do it yourself.

2 Likes

Wow… this gets more cringe by the day… now they want paying customers to pressure company’s to fund the creation of apps for a device that doesn’t even have a track record to begin with.

how?

SDK3 is going to be a shit show…

Alarmeringendroid is updated :grinning:

1 Like