Homey Pro 2023 Zwave issues

Regarding ZWave issues and Unknown Nodes here is a copy of an email I sent to Athom support on the process I followed. Note that before I did this I reset Homey23 back to factory defaults and reloaded one of my previous backups. Things are getting better.

Removing Unknown Nodes:

1. Remove Unknown Nodes command

This worked for two of my Unknown Nodes but two remained. It looks like it only removes one node at a time so you need to run it multiple times. It does come back with a Node Removed message when it works but doesn’t say which node was removed.

1. Using … at the end of the Node details

This got rid of the remaining two nodes but it isn’t straight forward.

You have to toggle between Heal and Test until the Remove label is active.

There was one occasion where the Test told me the Node was Reachable - weird. On this occasion I kept healing and testing until it showed as unreachable. Then I pressed Remove.

Pressing Remove isn’t always successful. You just need to keep repeating it until you don’t get an error.

I don’t believe that using the remove button gave me a success message, but it didn’t give an error. I had to refresh the page to see if the node was removed. If it wasn’t I repeated the process.

After all Unknown Nodes were removed I then removed power for Homey for 10 minutes. The first time I did this one of the Unknown Nodes came back so I repeated the process. On the next attempt, after powering down the node was gone. They haven’t come back to date.

1. Unreachable Nodes

I then went to each node showing as Unreachable and Healed them. Again this often needs to be done multiple times to get a successful outcome. So far all nodes remain reachable but if I get a failure on a device I repeat the Heal process for that node.

Is anyone else having issues since the firmware update last night?
Now all my z wave devices give an error ‘transmit complete fail’
Does not seem to matter which manufacture of device or its app.
Zigbee is still working.
The z wave devices that report power are still doing that.
If i go to the developer page and test the devices, they report node reachable.

Anyone any ideas?

If you have automatic updates enabled, which I generally don’t recommend, it can take a little longer to update sometimes. There are also experimental and stable firmware versions. Updates for experimental firmware versions are only available if you enable this in Developer Tools → Settings.
Summary: We do not know which firmware version you are referring to.

According to the changelog, within the last two firmware updates v10.0.0-rc.105 (stable) and v10.0.0-rc.107 (experimental) nothing was changed related to Z-Wave.
So my recommendation is to contact Athom.

Thank you fantross

I have got it set up to auto update but only to the stable release candidates, not the experimentals.

The release candidate is the one from last night (105 stable) that seems to have caused the problems in that it was ok yesterday and today not working.

I have sent a support request to athom but haven’t heard anything back yet. It said it could take two days. Hope it doesn’t, with the whole house now not working.

Wonder why its just mine that seems to have stopped working.

This happened to me also. I reset Homey back to factory default and then loaded the oldest backup I had when I set it back up. After the restore it came up empty of devices until I did a restart.

thank you Peter for that contribution.

Ive been at work all day, but messing about with homey remotely from time to time.
Most of the day with it doing the ‘transmit complete fail’ every time switch a z wave device.
Then early evening I restarted it again remotely, because fantross said the updates can take a long time to process, so give it a go (although a whole day seems a long time)
and … behold, it suddenly started working again.

So far, it’s working really fast, already installed a lot of z wave devices, a few zigbee, the car charger, the Miele dishwasher, so quite a few apps really. have even installed some old Oregon scientific temp/humidity sensors and they work fine as well. Never thought I would be getting them out of the box again but they work well.

Its a mystery.

I can’t get my Danalock to work, there is an error when connecting “transmit_complete_noroute”.
I contacted Athomi and the response was just… “This looks like a known issue which has been fixed in the newest firmware” it was rc 100, now it’s rc 107 but it still doesn’t work

Did you checked in Developer Tools → Z-Wave if the DanaLock is still listed?

What I meant was, that after the release of a new firmware it can take a while until Autoupdate recognizes the new firmware and then starts the installation. The installation itself does not take longer.
Sorry for the confusion.

No, it is not, As a result of repeated tests, there have been a unknown node, which I have deleted. Now Athom replied…

Thank you for your reply. I have shared your issue with our development team and placed it on the ealry access beta list.

I can’t tell you exactly when this issue will be solved but please know that it has been reported at the right place now and will receive attention.

I had the same problem with a POPP door/window sensor. After some time it didn’t report the state of the window anymore, if it’s open or closed. While the door/window sensor was still in the Homey app existing, in Developer Tools → Z-Wave it was completely gone. So I had to delete the sensor in the Homey app and include it again. This happened several times.
But actually it still works with no problems since several days. I’m on v10.0.0-rc.107.

I received this email from Athom support today

I’ve forwarded information regarding the Z-wave issues to development. They will start looking into this issue next week. There seems to be some issue where certain Aeotec devices keep giving updates about their power measurements continuously which is clogging up the Z-wave communication.

So indeed as you state all other devices then sometimes can send messages and sometimes can’t because the Z-wave Queue is too big. This also means that device can’t send update message about their health state to Homey Pro which makes them either unavailable or the ACK message can’t get through generating the No_ack error.

We will thus be looking into this issue to see where it goes wrong. But so far we’ve seen mostly Aeotec devices being the culprit for this but we can’t rule out others having the same issue.

1 Like

I sent Athom a copy of my Z-Wave network Log. Here is their response.

As you maybe can see for yourself in this log as well. It seems there are some issues with the COMMAND_CLASS_METER devices. For example in this log from just a few minutes there are more than 100 entries from node 94 for example about the update of the measured power. This should not happen and is clogging up the Z-wave chip which creates the errors like TRANSMIT_COMPLETE_FAIL and TRANSMIT_COMPLETE_NO_ACK.

I can confirm that. Just have a look into Developer Toole → Z-Wave and compare the amount of the Rx value of the Aeotec devices with similar devices of other brands:

(NodeID 218 and 220 are Aeotec Smart Switch 6)

(NodeID 2 and 6 are Fibaro Wall Plugs)

It should be noted, however, that unlike the Fibaro Wall Switch, the Smart Switch 6 additionally measures the voltage and current. The settings (measure intervals) must also be taken into account.
Nevertheless, the Smart Switch 6 generate an unusually high traffic in my opinion.

So now there are 3 paths to follow:

1. Wait and see what Athom comes up with to solve the issue
  2. Reach out to Aeotec with logs and zwave overviews to see what they can do to contribute to a solution,
  3. Find out from this community if there is anything we can do to temporarily inhibit Aeotec device metering messages, or turn off metering in the device.

@Caseda could you have a look at this?

Aeotec does have a lot of (meter) information that can be send (wattage, kWh, Voltage and Amperage) and has them send pretty frequently by default, so a bit higher number isn’t that weird.
you can turn these off or at least decrease the send frequency, the setting for it is right in the advanced settings.

But as it is with HP2023 then I’m not going to burn my fingers on it currently by giving lots of “tips”, there is just too much that can be wrong software wise working with this new Z-Wave chip.

I found the same situation with my Aeotec switches. They were sending a large number (hundreds per minute) of messages all related to metering which flooded the z-wave network and made it unresponsive for other control signals.

2023-05-18T21:31:15.278Z
Node[33]: [COMMAND_CLASS_METER] {“Properties1 (Raw)”:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[161]},“Properties1”:{“Meter Type”:1,“Rate Type”:1,“Scale bit 2”:true},“Properties2 (Raw)”:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[108]},“Properties2”:{“Size”:4,“Scale bits 10”:1,“Precision”:3},“Meter Value (Raw)”:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[0,0,0,10]},“Meter Value”:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[0,0,0,10]},“Delta Time (Raw)”:{“type”:“Buffer”,“data”:[0,0]},“Delta Time”:0}

Since these messages were all related to reporting meters, I experimented a bit with the advanced settings of the switches and was able to turn off the meter reports temporarily.

This seems to have calmed down the messages and made the network responsive again.

Athom Technical Support also recommended to tweak the interval times of the reports. I changed that setting too for good measure.

I have the following Aeotec devices

• Nano Dimmer (ZW111-B)
  • Nano Switch (ZW116-B)
  • Nano Dual Switch (ZW-132-B)

Their advanced settings all look a little different but here is one example for a Dual Switch (they were sending the most messages in my case)

The red circles disable the reports, the blue circle reduces the report intervals (the value was set to 34, I’m assuming these are seconds, but I definitely got more than two messages / min out of these devices).

I modified all my switches through the homey iPhone app settings. Then unplugged homey for 10 minutes and turned it back on.

The devices are much less chatty now, the Rx numbers are in the hundreds (before they could go into hundred thousands) and my z-wave network is as responsive as with the old Homey Po, if not quicker because of the faster processing.

Eventually I would like power metering back, but this seems like an acceptable compromise for now until Athom and/or Aeotec can fix these issues.

Is see people talk about network flooding.

However … would we then also not have issues with other zwave devices?

All my fibaro products work perfectly… i only have issues with aeotec smart switches ( not even the aeotec smart sensor that is in a worse location considering range and walls )

Is it just not an error in aeotec ?

I already did. We have written many emails back and forth, unfortunately without much success. I even updated the SS6’s firmware and changed some device settings, but also with no success.

What I forgot to mention, the screenshots I posted are from the HP19, not from the HP23. As you can see from the other posts, it doesn’t seem to matter if HP19 or HP23.

@rueckstiess, sure, this is an acceptable compromise. But if you want to monitor a washing machine, dryer or a dishwasher with a smart plug, to be notified when they are done, then you have to find out which data (e.g. only watts) are useful in which interval.

No, not necessarily. As mentioned before, it depends among other things on how many different data are sent in which interval.