Homey Community App Store

To clarify Athom pointed to the HCS as the cause. There has not been any changes to the hcs app recently. So I cannot comment on if the hcs was really the cause.

If it indeed was the hcs app then I am sorry, however, I have asked multiple times for (api) keys the hcs could use. This all could have been prevented easily. If only they put their money where their mouth was.

I do not make any changes to the HCS due to lack of time and interested in my side. I have asked someone else to take over if they want and they are interested. He already has access to all the code and brought you access to all hcs apps from within the homey app so he is familiair with the code.

For example: I created a new version for the hcs 3 years ago and never released it.

In other words, I decided to transfer the HCS to someone who wants to give it the love it needs. I just cannot find the time while expanding my familiy at the same time. I hope everyone understands and who knows, maybe I’ll join HCS again when the kids are a bit older.

Last time I checked there were over 3k homeys using the HCS and I want to thank each and every one! :heart:

20 Likes

Thank you Max for all your hard work ! :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::de:

2 Likes

Also many thanks from me, Max! Wishing you many patience and joy with your family.

EDIT: I withdraw the following, while Max posted some additional background info
I don’t know how Athom communicates or warns developers about stuff, but I cannot really get the blunt forced taking down of the HCS.

I hope they publish a statement why other ways of fixing issues did not succeed.
I have very mixed feelings about Athom right now.

Well the HCS was using credentials without official approval. I used the cli keys because I knew if they wanted to block the store via the keys it would take down their own cli. So no blame there.

If the hcs was indeed causing issues for the api I fully understand their deciding and they reached out to me before they revoked the keys. I was simply not (and still not) in the position to change anything on my end. The only thing I question is if the hcs app was indeed the problem because in my opinion, it could only happen if their api was causing issues. I do agree this bug should be fixed within the hcs app. I am just not the person to do it.

I do think they should have just given the hcs its own credentials so it would have been prevented. I guess the hcs could just use the new cli keys now :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m sorry if my hasty reply earlier caused a stir. It wasn’t meant to sound so blunt. I thought I had included a link to the issue on slack but with hindsight I should have pasted the text so it was available to everyone.

Great news that Max has found someone to take over the work to get it running again in some way.

And a big thanks to Max for all his work on it over the last few years.

Also, I in no way meant to ‘blame’ Athom for doing anything unfriendly as they had to act to protect their systems. But as Max has said, it would be strange if the HCS was responsible after all this time.

1 Like

So that’s why the HCS has been flickering like hell in the mobile app ?

Anyway, I’m little but lost in all the explanation, so does it mean HCS is gone, or will work only for existing installations, or key has to be fixed?

@MaxvandeLaar I also appreciate what you have done, HCS has been great idea - yet I’m not sure who is the “winner” here ;-( But fully understand the point about family, no issues there at all :wink:

Probably not, guess I have seen a Issue in the Mobile App loading the Image and seen it with other apps. That interface issue looks unrelated to me.

2 Likes

The flickering started long before the revoked credentials, so not related.
The key issue will need to be fixed somehow as the app will not be able to install other apps from the store.

IMO there is at least no winner as there was no competition in my opinion. The only thing lost in my interest to develop community things for the Homey.

This has not a lot to do with the community here nor Athom but just life happening. There is at least someone interested in taking over the HCS and maybe there are others. Let me know so you might be able to join your effort.

At this point in time, homeys with the HCS installed should be able to continue to install apps for a short period. Until the authorization of their HCS app expires.

At this point it is not possible to install/update the HCS app on your homey due to the revoked credentials.

I will at least keep everything up and running until someone takes over all the hosting or until I feel I have given it enough time (a month or 3 maybe, I don’t know).

Sorry if I am going to reply slowly from now on as I am going to spend time with my newborn son and the rest of my family :smiling_face:

17 Likes

Hi,

A quick update for everyone.

Currently I’m working to fix the Homey app to meet Athom’s requirements to keep it more secure. The fix I’m working on is also discussed with the Athom team and validated. I hope to finish it this weekend. I will keep in touch with y’all.

21 Likes

I try to login to the Homey Community Store by providing my homey credentials.
However when logging in, I always get the following error:

Any idea what could be wrong?

Just read above.

1 Like

Hi, The Samsung SmartThings app is exactly the app I would like to install, however as you can see in this thread below you can’t install the Homey Community Store Homey App anymore if you hadn’t installed it. So is there another location where I can download and install this?

If you are familiar with using the Homey CLI then you can get the code form my GitHub repo and install it from using the CLI.

I am not familiar with the Homey CLI, but I can find out.
However before doing that, can you please confirm that the SmartThings app also support the Samsung Jet Bot vacuumer, as that is the one I am interested in?

I have no idea :grin:
The app supports capabilities rather than devices, so it’s possible there are features it will find.
Also once you have the app installed, there are diagnostics features that can collect information from the API. You can then send the results to me and I can try to map more features/ capabilities.

Instruction for setting up the CLI are here

I don’t know the reasons why some apps are not released by Athom for the official App Store, and I don’t want to discuss it. But is this still the current status?

Yep. For one reason or another, some apps are rejected.
Some apps in the HCS have since been accepted, hence they are in both.

But some restrictions like “only one app for a brand” were abandoned.
So perhaps some apps could be accepted now (like HomeAssistant app).

1 Like