Ethernet (LAN) Adapter

Homey isn’t a professional solution. Adding an ethernet port will not make it one, either.

4 Likes

Robert, just saying it ain’t a professional solution doesn’t make it true.

Explain yourself please what facts you have that it isn’t a (semi) pro solution for home use.

Let me turn that question around: just saying that adding an ethernet port would make Homey a professional solution doesn’t make it true. Explain yourself please what facts you have that it is a (semi) pro solution for home use.

Some reasons why I think Homey isn’t a professional solution:

• everything (hardware, apps) is “best effort”, so an installer cannot guarantuee that a particular home automation setup they create for a client will keep working
  • a lot of apps are created by community members that cannot offer any guarantees on how well their integration works; some apps use unofficial API’s, which can be closed by the vendor, stopping an app from working entirely (see “installer cannot guarantee”)
  • Athom doesn’t seem to be on the radar of the big companies (case in point: Signify changing their API’s without Athom knowing, causing Hue outages for a lot of Homey users)
  • there is no “installer mode” with which, for instance, issues can be debugged or where a professional installer can remotely manage the Homey’s they installed.
  • in fact, there’s hardly any user separation, where you can limit access to devices/flows to specific people
  • no upgrade path (if you run into Homey’s hardware limits there’s nothing you can do)
  • no official peripherals (like touch screen terminals)
9 Likes

Plus you just can’t rely on Athom for support in a timely manner or at all.
They just choose to ignore customers and issues.
Nobody would install Homey as a professional device with that absence of support from the manufacturer

I agree, I remember after using homey pro for week or so, i was frustrated on the offline message, i tried every possible way to contact them but with no answer at all, after that i got in touch with one of their resellers in our region and i forwarded my concerns which he forwarded it to homey support, they replied the next day with a decent answer which didnt solve the issue, tbh i got a better support from the community .

1 Like

We and others I know deploy Homey Pro as professional.

Show me an other wireless smart home platform which is not best effort? No guarantee can be done of course for an open smart home concept, however a huge part of customers want an open smart home.

There are a lot of offical, vendor handled apps, so these are what we, installers can count on.

Yes, there is no installer mode sadly, but remotely managing and programming a Homey driven smart home is doable.

Homey Pro has its limits, but which other wired or wireless system does not? It’s a very good option from user perspective. With good experience of apps, actors, sensors, and others a good system can be built for tech savvy, even for not techy customers.

So are those systems professional? I wouldn’t say so. Professional in my definition not only means installed by professionals, but with all the tools and requirements that will allow those installers to completely manage the system.

Homey is fun, it will do for most people, but it’s basically a white black box (Homey isn’t “open”) that you as installer have no access to when things fail. You can’t call Athom, you can’t look at logfiles, you don’t get crash reports, you can’t call an app developer if their app fails, and even if the app was created by the brand, there’s almost 0% chance you can get help with your problem within a reasonable amount of time.

Really? Because from where I’m sitting, community apps usually have better support than “official” apps (and even then, a lot of those official apps are still made by community developers or Athom).

No doubt, but again, that doesn’t make it a professional system IMO.

1 Like

I have a complete different experience.
All my messages got replied on the same day or next working day.
Did you use this?
https://support.athom.com/hc/en-us/requests/new