Ethernet (LAN) Adapter

Really hope this is something that they will take serious if they come out with a new model. This is the reason why I don`t put a homey in my Cabin that is in another country, just another thing that can go wrong when far away.

9992 to go

Also sent the feature request form. 9991 to go. :nerd_face:

Sent another feature request. 990 to go. Thanks

Nope. 9990

1 Like

Almostā€¦
And 990 also was closeā€¦ I started with a hypothetical 1000 and nobody noticed in 12 months they started countdown from 9997ā€¦
I also stated 1000 extra Homeys WITHIN THE NEXT TWO MONTHS.
So I guess we are getting somewhere. ā€¦ already 22 users reacted in 18 months.

Athom didnā€™t have to do anything and they know enough. Thanks!

1 Like

:slight_smile: I agree, even regardless of #users; the whole point of homey is to go wireless. The Ethernet adapter will never happen.

1 Like

If Athom reads any of the wifi dropout topics, they should know this is urgent. Homey only accepts the 2.4GHz band, and that is way to crowded in urban areas. Many channels are utterly useless in my area, and everyone then goes to the few channels that seem to work a bit. I suspect wireless security systems are drowning out most other channels. If I force my router on those, wifi drops out about every 10 secs. And that is not just for one brand of access point. This is an example from Amsterdam:

1 Like

The SoCā€™s/SoMā€™s Athom uses are 2.4Ghz only, so they canā€™t do a simple upgrade to 5Ghz WiFi (the upcoming ā€œHomey Bridgeā€ is also limited to 2.4Ghz). Technically it should be possible to add ethernet support, but that would require a redesign of the outer shell.

Afaik the original SOM was 2.4 Ghz only but the latest revision could be used with 5Ghz.
It is just more that need to be done than only the chipset.
With the average traphic a Homey needs I think it is not high on the priority for Athom.
The number of SSIDs should not be the issue, network load could beā€¦

A USB otg cable with usb to Ethernet adapter could be a pretty simple hack if Athom enabled the drivers in the firmware kernel.

2 Likes

I canā€™t find any references to the MicroSOM supporting 5Ghz, Solidrun states that their products only support 2.4Ghz. The modules do support ethernet out of the box, although it probably requires installing the required magnetics.

The number of SSIDā€™s is only not an issue if all the other transceivers on the same channel arenā€™t doing anything, which isnā€™t realistic. The number of available channels on 2.4Ghz is limited and especially in populated areas you will have so many different networks that interference can be a real thing (and Homey seems to be particularly sensitive to it).

They could support an usb ethernet dongle. I have them on my Chromecasts too, although they have the wrong USB connector and not enough Amps. Would be nice if they combined the two in a reliable adapter :wink:

1 Like

Hello Community, is there any news about USB LAN adapters? Because I donā€™t have 2.4 GHz WiFi here ā€¦
After there have been problems with ā€œthose with the Zā€ for years, I took a look at Homey and Homeyā€™s namesake.
Unfortunately, if Homey cannot use LAN, I cannot use it -
and I think thatā€™s a shame, because the system basically doesnā€™t seem wrong to me ā€¦

No news, but to be honest, donā€™t think itā€™ll ever come. Not having 2.4ghz is pretty unusual so Iā€™d say; just enable it again.

In regards to the future, iā€™d say it would be more likely for the next homey (assuming there will be a next) to support 5ghz than supporting a USB NIC.

I really believe a home automation controller should use wired ethernet - itā€™s such a key part of the whole implementation and an additional point of failure. Whilst also having WiFi is nice omitting wired was a big oversight. Supporting a USB adapter would be a way of remedying that.

7 Likes

Is there any reaction from homey on this request?
A USB lan adapter would be a great thing to go wired.

It is a central component in our network, such central component should be wired by LAN for the most stable connection.

If it can be done on a chromecast then itā€™s not rocket scienceā€¦

1 Like

The only way is ask Athom
https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/requests/new

I like to have ethernet connectors too, and if Tuya can do it (ā‚¬ 27,- Zigbee hub) ā€¦

Note: in the vids for the Homey Cloud bridge, Athom stated: ā€œThereā€™s no RJ-45 while we wanted the price to be as low as possible, and everyone has good wifi these daysā€.

We donā€™t even need a built in port. Just some adapter like the one that is used for using a chromecast wired.

But instead of a micro usb with a minis usb port (or with a micro usb to mini usb adapter on it like this one: Micro USB to Mini USB Adapter F/M - Micro USB Cables | Belgium) but most of all the homey needs to support such usb to LAN adapter:

I know :grimacing:

And via Homey CLI on a PC, you can connect to and power Homey with USB-ethernet ?
So it is there in some way.

I think we can agree that we donā€™t want a pc/mini pcā€¦ running all the time just to provide LAN capabilities to Homey.

Connecting a Y cable withe a lan adapter on homey is in my opinion a simple, easy to achieve, and professional solution.