Controlling devices at Google Home from Homey?

Hello,

Is there a way other than IFTTT to control the devices at the Google Home hub from Homey?

Thanks,

Yes there is. Thanks to Ria (in Dutch) Wasmachine in Homey koppelen via Google - #4 by Ria_Banis

2 Likes

Thanks but I need to trigger a device in Google Home from Homey… this is the reverse…

Nope.
The washing machine is in GH only.
A virtual switch in Homey, makes the washing machine start by GH.

I’ll try to write a manual.

1 Like

Hmm ,

Well I created a virtual switch and I can see at GH but there is no way to link the on/puff status of Virtual switch to reflect the actual on/off status of the actual device at GH.

Ah, so you want the status of a device get returned to a Homey virtual device. I think that is not possible, while you can’t add devices to Homey from GH.
I think turning a GH device on/off from Homey, is a one way ‘shoot and forget’ command.

But did you manage to control the device in GH by your virtual switch in Homey?
Your Q was “Controlling devices at Google Home from Homey”

Thanks for the help and here is the whole situation:

I have a Tuya Hub with Zigbee Garage Door opener connected to GH. At GH I can see the zigbee garage door opener and I can control.

Unfortunately this is not possible at Homey.

So now I need to turn ON/OFF a device at GH from Homey.

Thanks,

You’re welcome, Senad.

Okay, my example.
Device to control: Arris TV settop box

For the OFF switch I made a similar routine.

Offtopic:
In your particular case, you can also choose to use the Tuya cloud app tap-to-run method. A garagedoor opener is not directly supported by the app yet, but you can always make a request here.

2 Likes

I tried this for you. I changed the status in google home and then the status in homey also changed. And visa versa ( the change in google home takes some time, from Google home to homey is instantly)

2 Likes

Maybe I’m allowed to give this thread a kick.
My question is, is it true that homey virtual devices can’t be used as starters in Google home routines (so that you can use Google home devices manually or in flows in homey) or am I missing something?

No,
“Homey virtual devices can be used as starters in Google home routines”
See the original post by @Ria_Banis :

When starting a routine, make sure you choose routine-type “household” and not “personal”.

Thx. for your reply, again. I saw that topic, but I can’t get it done. I use harmony hub for my audio Video activities in homey. The activity “TV kijken” appears in GH. Since I switched from Ziggo to KPN I have a new settopbox obviously. The sagemcom DIV7022 doesn’t have IR. It uses BT en is neither available in harmony, nor in homey. It is however available in GH. I wanted to use the activity “TV kijken” to switch de DIV 7022 settopbox on or off with google routines. However, “TV kijken” is not available as a starter. It is available as an action. I solved this now bij using a spoken phrase as a starter to activate both DIV 7022 and “TV kijken” (two routines 1for on and 1 for off). This is not ideal, because wen you switch “TV kijken” on or off in the homey, or GH app the settopbox stays on.

So I thought lets make a virtual device tot turn “TV kijken” and the settopbox on or off. I tried different virtual devices (Modus, device as “knop”, “stopcontact”, “Afstandbediening”). The don’t become available as starters in a routine, they all do on the action side.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a specific VD I should use? Is there a specific icon I should use? I’m lost!

Yes, did that. Doesn’t change anything.

1 Like

To me it’s quite a difficult story…
I’ll give it a go.

I have to stand corrected: I just checked, something’s appears to be changed (again) in GH routines…

My virtual switches can no longer be used as routine starter :roll_eyes::woozy_face:, it accepts now the (virtual) capabilities lights, curtains, alarm clocks, (motion) sensors, media players, robovacs.

But a virtual light just won’t appear in GH in the starter list.
Too bad.

Hi,
What I don’t understand,
How does GH send BT signals? I thought you need a BT blaster of some kind for that?

I was suprised too. GH uses Wi-Fi to control settopbox I think. The set-topbox is android TV based I was let to believe.

I see. You can try this app?: Android TV App for Homey | Homey

It seems Google got rid of using homey virtual socket as a starter. Is there any alternative? I have some devices that aren’t supported on homey and I’d like to be able to control them.

Is there any other alternatives to control a Google home device inside of homey?

Yeah that seems to be the case, unfortunately.

But, after quite a while of experimenting, I found out it still works with a virtual lock - literally ‘lock’. There’s no ‘unlock’ available for Ggl routines as far as I could find.

The advanced virtual device:

With the avd settings, I use the shower light (“Spiegel lamp Badkamer”) to control the lock, without any flows:

Google Home:

The lock triggers the routine which starts a Spotify playlist on a Ggl mini speaker:

1 Like

Oooh nice find!! That could probably work. I’ll try it.

Thank you!

2 Likes

YW, It works here :blush:

1 Like

I ended up finding a better option. Essentially, use the device for kettle. And then a button with on/off will allow running Google automation with on and off

4 Likes