[BUG] TP-Link Kasa devices get "rate limited" error every day

Hi same issue.

4 tp-link HS110 with metering.
And they do not ansered anymore with Alexa.
Only working with the kasa app

1 Like

You do understand that TP-Link is doing the rate limiting, right?

2 Likes

So, there you have your fix!
But because you donā€™t want to do anything, and others should in your eyes?

Hmmmā€¦ so yeah, thatā€™s at least 5 minutes of work. Less than writing your post :relieved:

You can consider increasing the DHCP lease time to 1 year (can come with downsides, but it is a way.)
And it saves you 5 minutes! :sunglasses::facepunch::beers:

Peter, while itā€™s fine and helpful to suggest workarounds, it is perfectly reasonable to want to have the app fixed (if possible). Not everyone wants to tinker.

Fact remains that this has been an issue since Homey Bridge launched (going on 2 years now), and the app is an official app by Athom. If it doesnā€™t work as advertised, it should not be put up on the app store.

I can understand that Athom want to advertise the Bridge as working with Kasa (itā€™s a big brand), but it really doesnā€™t work out of the box. Simple as that.

1 Like

@fohswe

So not much Athom can do except pulling the App from the store for everyoneā€¦

Well according to Doeske above. He says that tp link is not doing any rate limiting and seeing as this issue doesnt happen with other apps and smart home setups, yes I would say this is an Athom issue that they should be communicating directly with TP Link to resolve. And seeing that this has been an issue since 2019ā€¦ kind of ridiculous. Get my point of view now? Or should this just still be considered my fault and i should just figure it out myself.

No one said that afaik, just start bugging TP-LINK and Kasa. The community canā€™t do anything, Athom says it is kasa and choose your battles

Do you want Homey or TP-LINK more? Replace the one you want.

Tp-link is a horrible company when it comes to support, i had a lot of different devices from them because they where relatively cheap and neat looking. But after a few issues with the devices and support not even responding or just acknowledging the problem and never fixing it i dumped everything in the garbage bin and switched to different brands. Ubiquity for networking, ikea for the plugs, and a synology nas with some quality 4k cameras instead of the tp-link ā€œHDā€ junk.

I get that, Martin. But itā€™s not a specific Kasa LAN app issue here.
Also, when using wifi enabled smart home stuff, youā€™d best gather some knowledge about reserving IP addresses imho.

And, having wifi devices with ever changing IP addresses is very annoying, isnā€™t it? To me it is.

Unfortunately, for any device which uses wifi with Homey, itā€™s best practice to use a reserved IP address. Somehow Homey canā€™t find devices which change IP adresses along the way.
This results in ā€œDevice unavailableā€ errors.

So, just to prevent headaches, itā€™s best practice to use reserved IP addresses for any wifi enabled device on Homey (and Homey itself).

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure what reserved IP addresses has to do with it. It hasnā€™t been working for me. I reserve IPs for all my smart devices too.

@Dijker
Iā€™m not sure why the combination of TP-Link and Homey is an issue, seems other platforms make it work? Maybe it is the number of Homey users and devices that causes the rate limiting.

In my opinion it doesnā€™t really matter if it is Athoms implementation or TP-Link ā€œnot playing niceā€. Fact is the app doesnā€™t work properly and as such there should at the very least be some kind of disclaimer.

Personally, I think Iā€™m gonna try adding the Kasa devices to Home Assistant and then add them to Homey through the Home Assistant add-on, just to see if that works.

1 Like

There is solution in the Kasa LAN App for dynamic IPs but never tested it - personally using statically assigned IPs for everything. You can give a try and let me know in the Kasa LAN App thread, if you want.
Please note there is test version, which has improved auto-discovery for new plugs/bulb (except of HS300), currently in TEST

2 Likes

how do i get the new version of kasa lan the homey app store only shows 0.2.7

And yet I can find posts from people using completely different platforms that are running into rate limiting when using the TP Link API :man_shrugging:t3:

Also, heā€™s not saying that theyā€™re not doing any rate limiting, heā€™s saying that ā€œwe arenā€™t hitting any rate limitsā€. Which suggests that they are rate limiting.

I mean, it would be surprising if TP-Link didnā€™t rate limit, wouldnā€™t it? Seems reasonable as a protective measure.

That doesnā€™t make this a user problem to fix, unless this limit is acknowledged by Athom. If Athom canā€™t work around this, they need to put a disclaimer on the Kasa app :man_shrugging:

Current ā€œworkaroundsā€ as suggested in the thread:

• Use Kasa LAN app if you have a Homey Pro
  • Add the devices through a third party service like Alexa (Homey Pro) or Home Assistant (probably works)

If you are on Homey Bridge you are pretty much :poop: out of luck.

This was very helpful. I am new to Homey (installed Homey Pro today) and was thinking the control was entirely local.

Is the Kasa app on Homey Pro connecting to TP-Kasa through the cloud, exclusively? Not using local WiFi to control the devices?

If so, is the best solution to do the Kasa LAN app, and deal with the static IP assignment?

{My goal is to move my IoTs to a local-only network and manage with Homey Pro (which will have outbound access). Trying to derisk and de-latency my smart home}

This topic is forr the bug in the Athom official app

Please use the community app on a Homey Pro for local connections

Homey itself isnā€™t entirely local.

Thatā€™s where Iā€™d start. The other Kasa app is too unreliable because of the rate limiting problem which seems specific to that app (according to my experimentation - see above).

I also managed to connect successfully via Alexa.

Andy

1 Like

Totally understand. I have this error and was trying workarounds. More than half of my TP-Link Kasa devices have the ā€œRate Limitedā€ error.

Someone in this thread mentioned that it is Kasa limiting the connections on their cloud API, as opposed to it being on the Homey Pro side.

I have tried the other community supported app, and found it to be a viable workaround, but it does not solve the problem with the official app.

Is there something as a user experiencing this error I can contribute to the community to help troubleshoot or resolve the error? Iā€™m happy to do whatever I can.

So far, so good. Iā€™m able to connect the handful of devices that Iā€™ve tried, and control them locally using the community supported app. So far, discovery has worked pretty well. Optimistic.