[BUG] TP-Link Kasa devices get "rate limited" error every day

That app is listed as not compatible with the HP (2023).

Agree with your sentiments.

FWIW, I believe through experimentation the rate limit is cleared by restarting the Kasa app. You could maybe use an advanced flow to detect the error, restart the app, and then try again.

Horrible, but it might work for you.

Andy

Thanks for this workaround advice. Iā€™ll try this, but I will also keep this thread alive until this problem is fixed, or at the very least acknowledged.

1 Like

Donā€™t count on Athom acknowledging this issue here, itā€™s a community forum.

Right, I have already submitted a support ticket. I mean acknowledged in that respect. (Although, it would also be nice if someone acknowledged it here.)

And here I am acknowledging the problem! We are in contact with TP-Link and they are saying that we arenā€™t hitting any rate limits, so weā€™ll have to look further for a solution. :melting_face:

What would help us tremendously is some extra information like:

• How many devices do you have connected?
  • What type of devices do you have connected?
2 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since I tested, probably during the Homey Bridge beta, so I donā€™t know how useful this information is:

• 3 devices
  • All of them HS100 wall plugs

(I moved away from my TP-Link devices to 433 Mhz due to the lacking reliability. And only now found this thread since I was about to test the devices again.)

1 Like

I have four TP-Link devices. Three are the 3-way dimmer switch (KS230), and one is the single pole switch (HS200).

I have 7 HS220ā€™s and an HS210. I had to stop using the app due to the rate limit errors,

FYI, some of the supported devices might be used locally - TP-Link KASA LAN App for Homey | Homey

I get this issue, randomly

Iā€™ve got

4x TP-Link Kasa Smart RGBW Bulb KL130

What else can we do to provide additional information to help?

I have just one HS100 which I switched on and off maybe a couple of times a night! FWIW, I saw the problem only using the Homey TP-Link Kasa Smart app. It was simply too unreliable, so Iā€™ve switched to a different method.

The same flow using:

• The Homey Amazon Alexa app to expose the device registered with Alexaā€™s TP-link Kasa skill
  • The TP-link KASA LAN appā€¦

ā€¦ has no problems.

Also Iā€™ve never seen an issue using the Kasa phone app or operating the device via Alexa.

Given the response from TP-Link, it seems to me the problem lies in the TP-Link Kasa Smart app or the way it interfaces with TP-Link.

Andy

@Doekse

I should also have said the issue is cleared immediately when restarting the Homey app. Further indicating the problem is in the app.

Andy

I would like to try this work around. I have 80 kasa switches in my home.

How did you do this? I removed the kasa app in homey. Then added the kasa skill in alexa and also the homey skill and the kasa switches dont show up?

Or if anyone else has an update with this issue. If i cannot get it resolved ill have to return the homey unfortunately has its not feasible for me to replace 80 switches.

Thanks

Do they works locally ? Which switches are those ? You may want to check Kasa LAN solution - TP-Link KASA LAN App for Homey | Homey

All work flawless with kasa app.

I looked into that other community app and its doesnt add them all i need to add every single IP one by one unless theres an easier way let me know and ill tryā€¦

Can anyone from Homey advise of this issue, i would really like to keep this device but i cannot if these doesnā€™t work.

I understand your issue but the app works well and doesnā€™t require internet access because - as the title says - it is local. It definitely fixes the ā€˜rate limitedā€™ problem.

Maybe enough benefit to justify the effort.

Before I switched to the ā€˜localā€™ app I by-passed the error using an Alexa device.

Andy

This is a community forum, if you need to contact Athom you have to go through the support request procedure.

If you have questions about the community app, post them in the app thread.

I too have these issues. I have a lot of Kasa devices. A few three way switches, lots of single switches, smart outlets and wall plugs too. Iā€™m coming from Home Assistant where everything worked fine there, but there was a lot to manage with it. And even through Google Home or the direct Kasa App, all works fine. But not with Homey which sucks because I switched to Homey for its simplicity and ease of use. But it is quite stupid that these devices get rate limited every single day, and sometimes multiple times a day.

For as much as the Homey costs, it shouldnā€™t have these kind of problems that you can tell have been on-going for years for other users. I did submit my own support ticket as well but still awaiting a response.

I tried to come up with a work around to detect if the device was offline / not working, then restart the app but it doesnā€™t appear there is an IF/When statement available for ā€œrate limited, offlineā€ unless Iā€™m just missing something somewhere.

And while the LAN app sounds like an option, it would not be a quick/easy task for someone like myself who probably has 20 devices, then needing to set up static ip addresses, and connect all that over again. IF I absolutely have to go that route, I guess I will but preferred not to.

Itā€™d just be nice if Athom team would acknowledge this more and actively work on a fix or open it up for third party development and let some other team fix it.

/endrant