Aqara sensors stopped working?

unfortunately @DirkG adding it againg without removing it first did not work for me :frowning: The sensor still does not report anything

my motion sensors were both working for a good month, the the one that is about 3m away from Homey stopped reporting again (4th or 5th time now).
Zigbee more so battery powered units (mains ones seem less buggy) has always been rubbish on Homey, my wifi and zwave units havent missed a beat

Het is dramatisch met dat Aqara spul. Deursensoren, temperatuur sensoren, beweging sensoren, zelfs een draadloze double rocker knop, inmiddels werkt 90% van mijn aqara spul niet meer.
Al het overige spul, Osram, Ledvance, Ecodim, INNR, Tuya, werkt allemaal prima. De Coolcam zwave sensoren doen het ook allemaal prima.

Dit topic draait al een tijdje, je zou zeggen dat er wel een keer een oplossing zou moeten zijn? Ik word nu in ieder geval niet blij van mijn niet werkende aqara spul.

Same here. I gave up on Aqara… The only devices that work for me are Aqara Opple buttons… These work even more reliable than Fibaro z-wave buttons.

Let’s keep in in English in this part of the community… :slight_smile:

Strange that my Aqara’s have worked for years without any problems here… So that should be possible for you too then, one should think.

Can it be that the Aqara’s rely more on a good Zigbee network? I have a lot of Zigbee routers in my home (light bulbs, smart plugs). Perhaps try to add some? They don’t have to be expensive; Ikea works flawlessly here.

Or try to switch the batteries as suggested here above, even though the app reports them as not empty (at all). There are some complaints about the battery percentage being off. Especially the ones they come with.

2 Likes

Sorry, but none of my Aqara pir/contact/temperature sensors stopped working. Very reliable.
PIR and contact sensor battery level is still 100% after 10 months, according to Homey, so that’s probably bogus.
The temperature sensor report slow decreasing values, what could be realistic.

2 Likes

I have more routing devices than Homey can handle. Adding more would not help I’m afraid.

I remember this (100% battery ‘forever’) from the first few months. Suddenly the devices started becoming non-responsive. Since then only one or 2 are working. Tried reconnects, new batteries, everything. Whatever the root cause, I could not find it and I stopped using them eventually.

I’m glad they work for you!

1 Like

I have more or less the same experience. Seems for me, if the Aqara sensor is not communicating directly to my homey, it losses communication after a few hours.
I do not have the knowlegde to determine whether this is happens due to bug in Homey or in the sensor.
I fixed this by pairing the sensor serveral times, until it was communicating directly.
Using latest Homy version 8.0.2

I’ve connected Ikea lights a while ago, and randomly and sometimes the Aqara temperature- and PIR sensors stop responding when they’re routed via such a light.
Odd: Ikea sockets work fine with the sensors…
Odd: Aqara contact sensors just don’t use the Ikea lights as hub
Non-responsive sensors are brought to life by

• disabling the Ikea app
  • add the sensor without removing it prior to pairing
  • “Sensor is already added” message can be ignored
  • restart the Aqara app
  • enable the Ikea app

The only time I have issues with Aqara sensors is when their battery is getting too low. I also have a lot of IKEA devices that are routing those sensors. I don’t use Homey for Zigbee.

I have the same issue with one of my contact sensor. Both of them are speaking directly to Homey, but one of them stops working after a couple of days. The other is still going strong. I have re-added the one that is not working, and it then starts working again, but failed again after a couple of days.

After reading about all the problems people are having with Aqara here, Im thinking I should just switch to another brand, since I only use two sensor. Fibaro is twice the price, but I guess it’s worth it.

At least Homey’s Z-Wave seems to be much more stable than Homey’s Zigbee.

I wrote a short homeycript which collects all alarm_contact sensors and send them date ordered of its last usage as a notification.

Depending on the date I got a good feeling which one is a Sleeper.

let array = [];

const devices = await Homey.devices.getDevices({ filter: {class: 'sensor', capabilities: 'alarm_contact'} });
_.forEach(devices, device => {
array.push( device.capabilitiesObj.alarm_contact.lastUpdated.substring(0,10) + ' ' + device.name);
});

//oldest date on top sort array = ["time_stemp device", "time_stemp device", "time_stemp device" ]
const array_sorted = array.slice().sort(function(time_stemp, device) { 
 const firsttime_stemp = time_stemp.split(" ")[0];
 const secondtime_stemp = device.split(" ")[0];
 if(firsttime_stemp < secondtime_stemp) return -1;
 if(firsttime_stemp > secondtime_stemp) return 1;
 return 0;
});

console.log(array_sorted);

Homey.flow.runFlowCardAction({
        uri: 'homey:manager:notifications',
        id: 'create_notification',
        args: {
          text: array_sorted.join('\n')
        },
      });
2 Likes

Yeah, and the Fibaro app is developed by Fibaro/Athom, that should help a lot too. Decition made, already ordered two new Fibaro contact sensor.

Homey’s Zigbee stack is made by Athom too :grimacing: The issues with Aqara sensors aren’t related to the Aqara app.

Indeed, you shall not face such issues. However I’m having 70 Zigbee devices and they works fine, except of some Xiaomi temperature sensor, which gets updated once per 2 hours.

So anyway, with such few devices :

• what is the distance between them or what will happen, if you keep them temporarily closer to Homey
  • have you tried to replace battery ?

I have 4 door/window sensors and used 2 of them 17 januari and 2 19 of March.
Just tested them and all 4 of them still worked.
Homey in the living room and the sensors first floor.

EDIT Found it by trial-and-error. Solved by removing .substring(0,10) from the script to find alarm_contact and alarm_motion devices.

Hi JoKa, I was playing around with your nice script.
But I get an error when I use bool capabilities:

⚠️ TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'substring')
    at Sensor.Motion_Check.js:5:62

When I replace alarm_contact with alarm_motion I get the same error.
But, replacing it with measure_temperature works, also with any measure_ or meter_ capability.

Any thoughts?

Hi Peter!

I test it with alarm_motion, works:

Are you sure you replaced it at both position in the code?