Aqara FP2, mmWave presence detection on WiFi

HA also relies on homekit integration. good thing you don’t need to have an apple device to make it work with HA.

1 Like

More lack of time, they already have difficulty with keeping their own apps up to date, let alone create a new one for just 1 device, not very time efficiënt.

If I can get one and no one else is going to make an app then I will do it.

26 Likes

Think about the manufactores of the PIR’s. This sensor makes them absolete!!!

There came out so many devices that were “you don’t need anything else”, but it is still only 1 device, a motion sensor, nothing more. (See the Bluetooth beacons for positional presence as example)
These type of sensors have been there for a while btw, this isn’t the first one that has it, maybe the first battery one that’s affordable, but the Mains powered ones didn’t take off either.

IMHO And them also being WiFi is for me a no go, adding 8-10 extra WiFi devices just for motion sensing, no thank you.

If you make a app i donate 10 euro

3 Likes

with fp2 basically I can replace many sensors. like the many hue one and door sensors. maybe you need to have 3 to 6 to cover your whole house.
basically it works with zones. also I think they are adding support for pets. Also confirmed after you are done you can disable outside traffic and keep it local.

I’m about to buy for each room in my new home.

If you build an app, 50€

1 Like

If you make one i donate 20 euro’s

1 Like

Maybe in your eyes, but in my eyes: of course not, some / most people have a limited budget. For instance, I have DIY basic mmwave sensors, ESP based (wifi), which cost E14 incl. housing.
AND just ONE Aqara FP2 costs more than my used NUC for HomeAssistant…
And I’m not planning on spending E500,- to replace my PIR sensors.
AND not everyone likes the idea to provide for a 5V PSU for each and every FP2 in the house.

Go ahead, but I’ve combined HA with Homey it’s a perfect combo for me. Both have pro’s and con’s.

Could be, can you show @TedTolboom 's statement about it please?

If you build an app, 20€ :+1: and if it works like a charm, 20€ more :wink:

2 Likes

I just have to get one but everywhere in the UK is sold out.

1 Like

Is the new FP2 sensor working without internet?
I don’t like cloud based solutions. For all WiFi devices I’m blocking the datacommunication in the firewall of the router.

1 Like

It was told that it should work local. But what i remembered someone on youtube tried it out, but then everything got blocked. But maybe there is a local api inside the FP2 that there can be spoken to. But i’m not sure that it works and how. When making a automation in the aqara home app i’m sure it is cloud based. So then you need to use the internet. But maybe homey can make it local.

Same problem here in the Netherlands. Sold out in 2 days on several stores.
At some stores they are saying that they will get it back in store on Q3!!!
I don’t know if Aqara has them on stock…

for me it works (drop wan out on fp2 ip) . nothing in the app but homekit on ha still get their data/events.

make sure you are done with the zones etc.

Hmmmm. It seems that i then must rely on the cloud. Cause zone detection will be the most used feature for me. Table light comes on when siting at the table. Light comes on in the kitchen when i go to the kitchen.

I mean you have to do this once in the app. then those zones will show up in HA , after that you can block wan out. By an update , remove the rule , do your changes in the app again.

3 Likes

Aaaah. That sounds great @Edwin_Biemond. Thank you for finding out and sharing this.

1 Like

what are your 1st step in making this app? want to monitor traffic or have access to it? I can setup some vpn for you if it helps.

2 Likes