[App][Pro] HomeKitty šŸ˜ø (aka HomeyKit 3.0)

Do we need the HomyKit app for that or will the experimental HomeKit support (in homey settings) be enough?

Donā€™t use Athomā€™s experimentell HomeKit myself, but in generell this should be enough.
But the big advantage of the HomeKitty app is, that you can choose which devices do you want to use in Apple Home. With Athomā€™s HomeKit integration, all devices are transferred to Appleā€™s Home/HomeKit.
And, afaik, the HomeKitty app supports more device classes, right @robertklep?

I think so, but I never tested Athomā€™s implementation :sweat_smile:

Ok. Choose which devices are exposed to homekit is interesting :slight_smile:

Does the app expose Virtual devices as well?

Yes, using them myself in HomeKit

ā€œApple pulls new Home app architecture in iOS 16.2 as users complain about HomeKit issuesā€ :flushed:

As mentioned before I had no problems with Homey and the HomeKitty app. Everything is working as it should.
However, my wife was deleted from the Apple Home/HomeKit user group, and I send her a new invitation. That was all.
Other users certainly seem to have more problems. If the problems can also affect Homey and the HomeKitty app, I donā€™t know.

There is at least one user with a strange issue with HomeKitty that I canā€™t figure out and might be caused by it, although itā€™s really difficult to say (and I donā€™t even know if that user has already updated to the new architecture).

I had problems with the v1.2.0 and v1.2.1 HomeKitty update (Homey FW 8.1.1-rc.3). But this was 2 days after I updated to iOS 16.2.

The Homey devices in Home/HomeKitt all showed ā€œNo responseā€. I realized then that Home/HomeKitt was using the Apple TV as control center, and not the HomePod as before. After I ā€œturned offā€ both control centers and ā€œturned onā€ the HomePod first, the HomePod was used as the active control center and everything worked again.

The problem with Home/HomeKitt and multiple control centers is that you canā€™t choose the ā€œmainā€ control center. So I donā€™t know what happens when Home/HomeKitt changes the control center back to the Apple TV.

HomeKitty is completely unaware of any Home hubs, itā€™s all managed by iOS (and I also have no idea how it picks which hub to use) :worried:

Nothing to do with HomeKitty but a little side story of mine, and now I realise it has to be this bug Apple created for usā€¦

I had to rebuild my entire Home in HomeKit all over again because my son couldnā€™t see our Home, and when I wanted to invite him he accepted the invite but nothing happens. On my wifeā€™s iPhone I could see him but couldnā€™t remove him because I wasnā€™t the owner on my wifeā€™s phone :smirk:

Deleted all the Homes on his phone, wanted to create the first Home but got the message that I canā€™t create a Home because it already exists. Try multiple apps to see where it got stuck. No luckā€¦ Sometimes I saw him multiple times as a user and after a view seconds it shrunk to just one user, I guess all those users were those times I invited him and he accepted it.

So I decided to start fresh and this gave me the perfect opportunity to clear out all the stuff in Homekit. To reorganise my Home to let most automations be done by Homey and some by HomeKit as I was moving from HomeKit only to Homey and HomeKit(ty). And I had a feeling that building a Home from scratch on the new Home architecture wouldnā€™t be that bad, maybe even be the best thing to do.

This transition came to life because I found HomeKitty a view weeks back. HomeKitty made me choose which devises are visible in Homekit and that was exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

Any chance to get the video (or at least a screenshot) from my Blick Outdoor cameras to HomeKit via the Blink App and HomeKitty?

Video: no.

Images: possibly (though not likely), but a prerequisite for that is that they are already available from here: Homey Developer Tools (but I donā€™t really know how camera apps for Homey deal with images) I just installed the ONVIF app and it stores images there, so Iā€™ll try and see if itā€™s possible to do anything meaningful with them from HomeKitty.

The images I create hourly from my Blink cameras do appear here, so it would be possibly a good basis.

Another topic (I switched from HomeyKit to HomeKitty):
I noticed a strange behavior with my Somfy RTS blinds, which are integrated via the official Somfy app:
Under HomeyKit, the operation worked as expected:

(Homey-App) āˆ§ = Up, ā—Ž = My-Position, āˆØ = Down

(Home-App) Top = Up, Middle = My-Position, Bottom = Down .

After I switched to HomeKitty, the blinds reappeared in HomeKit but their operation had changed, both in the Homey app and in the Home-App:
āˆ§ = Up, ā—Ž = very short movement of the blind, āˆØ = Down (Homey app)
Top = Up, Middle = very short movement of the blind, Bottom = Down (Home app).
And: Some blinds moved randomly (open, My or close) only by opening the Home App or without any interaction.

I solved the problem for now by removing the blinds from HomeKitty again and reactivating HomeyKit for this purpose.
Maybe youā€™ll find an opportunity to address this issue?

Please post issues on Github: Issues Ā· robertklep/name.klep.homekitty Ā· GitHub

Iā€™ve already looked at it, but it might be difficult. HomeKit only supports actual cameras, with streaming video. There are some HomeBridge plugins that ā€œfakeā€ a camera so they can use only images, but I havenā€™t gotten them to work the way I need to (yet).

I looked into this a bit more and using images without a video feed isnā€™t possible in a useful way.

Thank you for a really great app!
Iā€™m having issues with using scenes in homekit.
All my lights is connected to Homey and iā€™m using homekitty to be able to control them through Apples native homekit app. When choosing a scene that dims several lights down, some of them dont reach the desired dim level. I have to press the scene Ā«buttonĀ» 4-5 times before all lights reach the desired level. I have some physical buttons connected to Homey that activates the same scene (sets the same lights to the same dim level as the scene) and this works om the first try every time. It seems as this is a HomeKit/homekitty issue. Am i the only one with this issue? And is the issue known?

I only briefly looked at scenes, and it seemed that HomeKit was only sending updates to a single device, but Iā€™ll have to investigate further.

1 Like