Reinstalling Homeykit and refreshing the Apple Home view

Hi, HomeKit Home App got really messed up when I set HomeKit Experimentations in the Homey App and having Homeykit installed at the same time.
I removed the Hubs and Bridges in HomeKit, turned experimentations off and reinstalled the Homeykit App on Homey.
Now I can’t get my Homey devices to be visible in Apple Home again.

Can anyone, perhaps @Bas, advise how to get my devices back into HomeKit?

What does that mean, specifically? Can you add Homey to iOS, but you don’t get any devices? Is iOS unable to find Homey?

You can try and reset Homeykit. Go to its configuration page, Settings, and then “Clear HomeKit Storage and start over”.

I have tried this but it doesn’t do anything. It seems that once you have turned on HomeKit experiments and theon turned it off, and turned off HomeyKit App there is no going back. I have tried everything but HomeyKit no longer works. If I turn on experiments again that works, but it takes across a lot of devices I don’t want it to, and one in HomeKit they cannot be removed.

I assume that you removed the old home from iOS and created a new home for Homeykit? Also try changing the bridge identifier (from the aforementioned Settings page).

Thanks Robert, I’ll give that a try.

I finally got around to setting this up again. Have been learning a lot about how things work in the mean time. The renaming of the bridge identifier worked.

A couple of further questions @robertklep on devices supported. I have two devices which are visible in Apple Home but aren’t working.

1. Remotetec zwave to IR air conditioner controller. Has all the right controls, and when operated you can hear the AC beeping as it receives signals but they aren’t working. Cannot turn off or on.

2. Fibaro Smart Implant.

Peter

I don’t have any of these devices so I can’t say definitively why they’re not working (or if they are supposed to work at all).

For the Remotetec device, it seems Homeykit is working (because the iOS action causes the app to send signals to the AC). Homeykit isn’t in control of which signals are sent, it just toggles the onoff capability of the device.

Smart implant: what exactly isn’t working?

The smart implant device is supposed to toggle the output to operate gates and garage doors. It doesn’t do that from Home. I have worked around this however by creating virtual devices. The virtual devices operate across the bridge and you can therefore set them up to perform specific tasks from Home.

With Remotetec are you saying that the only function supported by HomeyKit is to turn the AC On and Off? You can’t select Heat/Cool or change the temperature?
Still, I must admit I don’t fully understand why you think it is working. If I operate it from the Homey App I can control the device properly, while if I operate it from the Home App the controls are all there, but they don’t translate across to Homey.

Peter

| robertklep
July 8 |

• | - |

I don’t have any of these devices so I can’t say definitively why they’re not working (or if they are supposed to work at all).

For the Remotetec device, it seems Homeykit is working (because the iOS action causes the app to send signals to the AC). Homeykit isn’t in control of which signals are sent, it just toggles the onoff capability of the device.

Smart implant: what exactly isn’t working?

I have no idea. Homeykit doesn’t implement specific device support, it just looks at all devices and tries to match the Homey device class and capabilities to something that translates to Homekit. If the Remotetec device doesn’t have specific climate controls, Homeykit have no idea that it’s a climate control device.

Because you wrote “Has all the right controls, and when operated you can hear the AC beeping as it receives signals”.

I assumed that “when operated” you mean “when operated from iOS”. If so, then apparently Homeykit is doing its job passing signals between iOS and the Remotetec app.

Thanks Robert. I have come to the conclusion that I will use Homey to do all the complex stuff and use the Home App just to allow me to use Siri and my iPhone location for home/away. So I have been creating quite a few VD’s and activating them via Siri and HomeKit. I guess when I started I had the wrong idea about the Bridges capability. This seems to be working quite well and I can control all my devices using voice.

Robert, I had the discussion above with you a few years back. I currently have Homeykit installed but I also have the Apple Homekit enabled in Experiments. Is this correct or should I disable it? I can’t quite work that out from my discussion above.

No, that’s not correct, you should use either Homeykit or the Homekit experiment, but not both.

Thanks, it is now disabled. But maybe I took one step too far. I removed the bridge in Apples Home App. Is this something I should not have done?

It depends which bridge it was, the one provided by Homeykit or the one provided by the Experiment. If it was Homeykit’s, you have to add it back again and re-create your room assignments etc

Ok, so remove the App and start again? Will that take me through those steps?

It may not be necessary to remove the app, try to add it back to Home again (Add Accessory). You may have to perform some additional steps if Home can’t find it, like performing a reset (which you can do from Homeykit’s settings page).

Thanks for your help. What is the setup code asked for?

200-20-200, as mentioned on the app page.

Thanks again Robert, I was looking in the wrong place. All back working correctly.

I thought that it was something I have been doing that has led to my links between homey and the home app being lost. Not all devices though. All lights (Aeotec SW 6) go. But my towel rails using a different switch stay. I have re set this up several times now.
Is there anything I can do to try and work out why this is happening?