Z-Wave network reliability

Ok, thanks for sharing the video. This behavior is new to me and I cross my fingers that this will not happen to mine Walli Roller Shutter. :wink:
Also crossing my fingers for you, that Athom is able to help you acc. this issue.

@DirkG I sincerely cross my fingers as well that this does not happen to you because it is very annoying. I thought the issue was mostly related to the Walli Roller shutters but actually I saw on a forum that also users with the fibaro roller shutters have experienced the same ā€œBlockā€.

After having invested time and money into this it is quite disappointing and frustrating at the moment. I know Homey is in Beta but the fact that Zwave network is not sustained overtime is quite basic in my mindā€¦anywayā€¦

Just to keep you informed, I have removed all the Unkown nodes and performed the PTP according to the instructions.

I left Homey for one hour without doing anything and I gained back couple of Walli light switches that were unavailable before.

The very strange thing is that if i go into the developer tool and I test the nodes of the devices that are currently not working in Homey, the developer site tells me the node is reachable.
Yet, when i try to operate or reach the node via the homey app i get either timed-out or with Transmit_Complete_no_Ack or other error messages related to network.

Overall there are still few devices that appear to be unreachable and even when i test them i got the message about them being unreachable.

For example, Tapparella Flavio 2 is actually reachable but it does not respond at all to homeyā€¦In parallel there are the devices that are still unreachable that are completely in between other reachable ones.

Do you think i can try any other action? I see there are other options when clicking on the three dots in the dev toolā€¦Do you believe i should also try to factory reset and then load one of the old backup (even though i am not sure the back ups I have belong to scenarios where all was working)ā€¦?
Should I restart homey and fibaro app again? Should I bring homey more in the center of the house although some of the non working devices are also in close proximity with Homey ?

Still waiting an answer by Athom thoughā€¦the ticket has now been opened for three long daysā€¦maybe they have found some anomalies they are trying to change before respondingā€¦

Thanks a lot for all your help on this!

@DirkG these are the screenshots from my Zwave network after I performed all the tasks you suggested:

There are still devices whose Route is unknown and those are the ones not working together with Tapparella 1 and Corridoio that are unreachable and I have not found the way to make them reachable again despite everything i tried.

In addition there are devices that have a Route and they are reachable but also not working. Tapparella Flavio 2 - as example - I can see that Homey receives the input becuase the Tx Queued Tx Sent Rx move when i give the instruction in the homey app but the blind does not move at allā€¦

As said, i have already given all these info to @Athom_homey since a week and did not get any response to my ticketā€¦

Thanks for your consideration

Puhā€¦ Iā€™m not a Z-Wave expert and Iā€™m running out of ideasā€¦
The positive thing is that the Unknown NodeIDs (4, 5, 7, 10,ā€¦) are gone. So weā€™re one step further.

If I understand you correctly, no ā€œTestā€ or ā€œHealā€ will help with the devices that have an ā€œUnknownā€ route? And the PTP didnā€™t help either, correct?

What you can trie is to exclude the devices and include them again, but UNSECURE (please see this support article). You can try it with one device first and then test it.

Unfortunately this is the case. no ā€œTestā€ or ā€œHealā€ helps resolving the unknown routes. The PTP helped to restore some of the broken links but did not resolve them all. I do not know if i should try PTP again. The issue is also that some of the devices without Unknown route also do not respondā€¦what i mean by that is that if i give a command via Homey app i can see that the command is received via the developer tool but the command does not reach to the device at all.

Just to be clear and avoid i make mistakes, should I exclude the devices by removing the node and then try to re-add them or i need to follow the process via the ā€œremove deviceā€ option in homey app? I am asking this because as you know I had issues with the removal of the fibaro roller shutter which went in block and so i would like to avoid that from happening again.

ā€¦besides the fact i think you already helped me a lot, would you have someone coming to your mind with even greater Z-Wave expertise that we can involve in this thread?
I am still waiting to receive answer from Homey. It is almost a week now and nobody responded to my ticketā€¦they either found something big to fix as a consequence of my ticket or nobody is looking at it :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hi @Mike_de_Vries how is your Homey and Zwave network doing? Is it still working after your factory reset?

I am still waiting for an answer by Homey but i was seriously considering also a factory reset.
Can you share a little bit more details on the steps you followed?
Did you remove all devices by Homey before the factory reset or you just did the factory reset?

Also to add the devices back do you have to do the factory reset of the devices or you can just re-add them as they are?

Thanks

You can trie more PTP, why not?

As far as I can see, the devices with an Unknown route are not used as repeaters for other devices. So that canā€™t be the reason.
It seems to be a big problem. Iā€™m afraid that only Athom can help you. Maybe the HP23 is also defective.

I always exclude Z-Wave devices via the Homey smartphone app (Device ā†’ :gear: ā†’ Remove device ā†’ follow the instructions, e.g. press the button 3x).
I have Fibaro Roller Shutter in use myself, but currently still on the HP19 Pro and not on the HP23 Pro. Therefore, I can not say from personal experience that it comes to this ā€œblockingā€ or can give you an advice, sorry.

@Caseda, sorry to mention you, but here is someone who needs help from a Z-Wave expert. Do you maybe have another idea what he can try?

I canā€™t imagine that. I always get a machine confirmation, and a human reply the same, or next business day.
Did you use the proper channel?

Did you leave a correct email address?

When you used the Pro 2023 beta channels:
When the developers donā€™t need additional info, you wonā€™t get a reply.

Hi,

My network is still running but my aeotec smart switch 7 (with 700 chipset) still act up.
They start blinking blue (not in network) just like that ,and 2 of them just turn on and off without commands given to do that.

But autobackup is still disabled and still z-wave works fine and quick!

I did the following:

Make a backup (cloud) from the app
Then find a small pin and push the button on the bottom for 30 seconds (led ring turns red)
Then start the app on phone and click on homey pro, setup wifi and then the question comes if you want to setup as new or select backup.
Choose backup and select the one you want to use, then it will download and restart homey pro.

Then all the devices and flows etc are back and where working just like before.

(unless the backup is not correct then there might be issues)

Hi @Peter_Kawa I am very surprised as well because they are normally very fast and quick.
I also received the confirmation when the ticket was first submitted and I have been writing a lot of follow-up updates.
This is the screenshot of the tool i used for the ticket which is the usual one i used so far

I posted the last update yesterday

I do not know if i need to open another ticket!

This is the right place indeed, Gianmarco.
I canā€™t tell why you donā€™t get a response.

@Boaz Bas_L Sorry for tagging you here, but can you check if thereā€™s any update for ticket 101827?

Open new tickets to get a response on other tickets donā€™t seem a good idea to me, it will slow down the system even more.

1 Like

@Caseda I am very sorry to bother you but could you be so kind to have a look at this thread and check if there is something i can do to improve my Z-wave network?

@Boaz @Bas_L any news on my tickets?

Thanks a lot for your support all!

Sorry guys, i think you have the wrong Bas. Iā€™m new to Homey and my first new pro seems to arrive next week.

2 Likes

Just 1 small verification question, is there anything under or near Homey that is magnetic (IE a speaker) or metal that can interfere with wireless signals?

1 Like

@Caseda - yes - homey is close to my sonos speaker at the moment.
What is the minimum distance i should respect? I am asking this because I am planning to move homey from this location and i will put it on a table with another sonos speakerā€¦so if this is an issue i would like to know what is the eventually recommended distance.

Thanks

Itā€™s definitely an issue. At the moment I use my HP23 just for testing proposes. So in the beginning I chose a place also near a Sonos One, ca. 40 cm away. I had a lot problems with the WiFi connection. Since I have only 2 battery-powered Z-Wave devices in use so far, I canā€™t say how much the Z-Wave signal has been affected.
Now the HP23 is more or less right next to the HP19 and I have no more problems. There are no speakers or larger metallic objects nearby at all.

As far as possibleā€¦ :wink:
It also depends on the Sonos speaker, if it is a Roam, an Arc or a Sub. The bigger, the further.

Iā€™m not sure about a minimum distance, it is different per speaker/brand as some cause lots of magnetic junk nearby, or elektric interference because of cheap internal parts.
You could of course try and put it farter away and put is closer each (2x) day to see what the limit is. (I say day as it interference might need some build up)

@DirkG & @Caseda thanks a lot.
I will clearly pay attention to this when i will move my Homey this week end as i want to bring it more at the center of the house. In any case my sonos speakers in question are sonos 1 (so the small ones). Still i will take it as far as possible from speakers.

@Caseda i would like to refresh my Zwave network and also fix the nodes whose last working route is unknown (if you see the picture in previous posts) because those are clearly not working. I also assume that I should remove those devices and then re-add them. however if i remove them using the normal ā€œremove deviceā€ procedure they go in block and become totally unusable? Could I therefore remove the devices by resetting the devices to factory conditions and then add them back to homey via the usual pairing or it is better to remove the faulty node from zwave netowrk and then re-add the device via pairing with Homey again?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions

If they didnā€™t leave the network they should just connect again on its own when the interference is gone, perhaps hold them close to Homey (or Homey close to the device to ensure a direct connection, use it a few times so it reasablishes the connection, then put them back.

But to answer the question should you still want/need to re-pair.
No, unless Athom implements a ā€œrepairā€ function for Z-Wave it will always break all your flows, there is a HomeyScript on the forum that should make it easy to swap the device though.

@Caseda sorry i do not want to abuse your time and experience but since i am not receiving answers from Homey on the issues I am facing I am trying to equip myself to have interventions to repair my status.

At the moment i am facing the following two issues:

1. There are devices that are not responding to homey because their last working route is Unknown
  2. I have almost all Fibaro walli devices. When i try to remove fibaro walli devices from homey (i had this two times) using the remove procedures, these devices go in ā€œblockā€ i.e. they are unusable and they do not respond any input and I had to send them those back to fibaro.
  1. There are couple of devices whose last working Route is NOT unknown but they are not responding to Homey like the one below. Testing and sending other pings does not make them respond into homey.

Bottom line i would like to restore my Zwave network and i just do not know what steps to take.

I am not afraid of loosing my flows because i honestly do not have any and i also think i have a back up where things were still working fine.

These are the actions I am considering taking:

1. Perform another PTP
  2. Move homey away from Sonos or other interference
  3. Wait 24 hours to see if Zwave self restore
  4. at this point do you suggest i Factory reset homey if things do not go back in place? OR
    4.1. I should try to remove the devices that are not working (however i would please need your help on how i can remove devices without necessarily following the ā€œremove deviceā€ option via Homey). Can i just remove the node and then add back the device or I need to reset the device to factory and then add it back to homey?
    4.2. Should I try to re-add all devices as unsecure using the 00000 code?
    4.3. any other idea?

Thanks a lot again