Which EV charger with Homey?

Hi all,

I’m about the buy an electric car (Skoda Enyaq) and therefor I am looking for a charger on the wall of my garage. I have narrowed it down to two models, which have a Homey app; MyEnergi Zappi v2 and Easee Home. The Easee looks much better, but I have read the Zappi does a better job with solar panels (I have 30). Any experience (together with Homey) with any of these that can help me make the best choice?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks. That is indeed possible, but since my charger will have more options and will probably outlive the car, I’m also looking for a good charger integration.

1 Like

A Go-e Charger, without any hesitation. The ADAC in Germany has just named it the best charger among all those tested. I also have this charger since almost a year and a Skoda Enyaq (and a Skoda Citigo iV…). I manage the charge with Homey, I invite you to read this topic if you are interested. A lot of fun!

The only “flaw” of the excellent Go-E Charger app for Homey is that it doesn’t take into account the switch between 1 phase and 3 phases charging, which could be interesting if you have a very large solar installation. Tim_Willemsen, if you can hear me, this is the only thing missing from your excellent app :wink: Personally, I charge with 1 phase between 6A and 16A, and that is more than enough, but switch support would be great :wink:

2 Likes

A little clarification: if you have a Fronius solar panel system, it can be interesting to take a Fronius Wattpilot charger, which is nothing else than a rebranded Go-e Charger but which allows to manage the charge in relation to the solar panels without any intermediate device (and without Homey…).

Does the homey app for Go-e work with it?

I’m not sure, but unless I’m mistaken no, the Go-E Charger Homey app doesn’t work with the Fronius Wattpilot. However, Fronius has programmed itself to charge with surplus power and to dynamically adapt the charging power. The Fronius inverter communicates directly with the charging station, without an intermediate device. So in fact the ultimate goal is already covered and a Homey box is no longer necessary. In addition, the Fronius smartphone app also allows a number of programming and adaptation options, so in my opinion there is no need for a Homey box in this case.

It is still very rare on the market to find an inverter that communicates directly with the charging station to manage the charging with excess power, correctly, and at an acceptable price.

Personally I already had a SolarEdge inverter (supported by Homey) so I had to find another solution. The Go-E Charger is very inexpensive for everything it does, and most importantly its system is very open and communicates with many other devices on the market. I would take such a charging station again without any hesitation. If you have a inverter that is not supported by a Homey app, just install a Shelly 3EM (which is perfectly supported by Homey and many other services) to get the excess power data, and you’re done.

I have a “dumb” EV 3 phase charger.

How can the Shelly 3EM be set up to see the energy going through the charger?
And can I use a Shelly 1 to turn the charger on/off through the pilot cable?

Hello!
If your charger is connected to your electrical panel, you can install a Shelly 3EM just before the output to the charger, so you can measure the instantaneous power, and also accumulate what is going out.
But if the charging current is fixed on your charger (e.g. 6A on three phases, so 4’100 W), you don’t need a meter… The example of the Shelly 3EM I gave above was more for measuring the excess current of its solar system if the inverter is not already doing so.
Unfortunately I don’t know the Shelly 1 and what it can do.

Hi,

Thank you!

It is powered with 3 phases + N, 400V
22kw charger, but the car is only using 1 phase, maximum 6,6kw.

I have posted a question here with images of the internal energy meter of the charger.
Would it be possible to get that data out somehow?

It seems to me that you already have the answer to your question in the other post. If your charging station is not Homey compatible, the only remaining solution is to measure the current going out to the charging station. For this purpose the Shelly 3EM is an excellent solution, though for 3 phases, but in Homey you see the 3 phases separately and with Insights or the “Power by the Hour” app you can cumulate the power that goes out.