Charging EV with Advanced Flows

Hello everyone!

I would like to share with you the result I achieved in charging my EV (electric vehicles) with my solar panels, using Homey as a management box and Advanced Flows. This way of doing things allows you to save the purchase of a specific management device which usually costs between € 500.- and 1000.-, and which in most cases never pays for itself. The method presented here goes a little further than simply charging when there is enough sun, and stopping everything when there is not enough. The goal was to vary the charging amperage according to the available current. This Topic is an evolution of the Topic I had already written on the subject with Standard Flows. These flows work perfectly well and I have been charging two EVs only with my solar panels since late February 2022. Feel free to ask me any questions if something is not clear.

Calculation Flows

Solar Charge Flows

Night Charge Flows

Manual Charge Flow

STOP Charge Flow

11 Likes

Hello :blush: are you sharing your flows in the way that I can import it via device capability? If yes I’m currently don’t have a clue where :flushed:
I would appreciate any support. Thank u.
Regards Marco

Hello and thank you for your message.
I have to admit that I don’t know how to share an Advanced Flow, but if you do, I’d love to hear from you.
For a good understanding of how the flows work, I’d advise you to start from the beginning, using the images of my flows as a basis. You might even be able to improve or simplify them that way. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve been working perfectly well for a long time now, and I use them practically every day to charge two electric cars.
I don’t use the Night Charge flow any more because, since the beginning of 2023, the price of electricity at my place is now the same during the day and at night (before, it was cheaper at night…). So if there’s no sun, I use the Manual Charge whenever I want.
As for Calculation Flows, it’s not compulsory, but it does help to smooth out the excess electricity curve. The problem is that the Insight Trends averaging app is no longer available, having been replaced by another… which doesn’t work properly. So I’ve cobbled together a flow that does an average and works well. If you like, I can share the image with you here.
Finally, I’d like to point out that my flows don’t take into account the change from 1 to 3 phases, and vice-versa, although the Go-e Charger terminal does and so does the Homey app for the Go-e Charger. It would be enough to complete the Solar Charge Flows flow according to the same logic, but in fact I have no use for it because a maximum charge of 16A on one phase (3.7 kW) is enough for me. Changing phase takes time, and my solar installation isn’t powerful enough to supply enough excess power over a long period to make it worthwhile switching to 3 phases.

1 Like