[TUTORIAL] Setting up MQTT on Homey for configuring Home Assistant for dashboard purposes

@Casper181 Did you try restarting the MQTT Client & Hub apps (in this order; via cog settings menu)?

1 Like

This worked for me. Restarted both and itā€™s working both ways now. Seems very cool and can now play with the HA dashboard buttons. Will try to add some more info to the OP when I have some spare time.

Is there a way to activate Flows from HA?
I see my devices but not any flow.

1 Like

Probably the easiest is to create a virtual device on Homey that triggers a flow.

K

1 Like

I notice sometimes in MQTT explorer the HA topics are gone, mostly after I restarted HA. I can fix this by restarting the MQTT hub and client.

Like I said in message above, I think I configured the last will and testament, but not sure if its configured correctly

Can someone help me to fix this?

Birth & last will are correctly configured if the hub automatically starts a broadcast when restarting ha.

To test: clear all homeassistant topics in MQTT explorer & restart ha. Al topics should reappear and the broadcast progressbar in Hub app settings should move.

Hi,

I try to install the MQTT client on the homey (where it all starts :-)) but when I click the install button, my homey turns blue and got the message that homey is not reachable. After 10 seconds I can again access my homey. Everytime I try to install the client, he is unreachable :-/

Anyone has a clue ?

Thanks !

Bart

Hi,

I installaed client & hub on homey, and Iā€™m using the HA broker add-on. I configured the configuration.yaml file as follows:
mqtt:
broker: 192.168.0.159
username: weemaba
password: mysecret
discovery: true
discovery_prefix: homeassistant

The broker IP is the IP from my raspberry pi where I installaed HA and the broker on.

The client on my homey is using the same username and password, I filled in the same IP in the home MQTT client as the ip from the broker above, with port 1883

I always get the message (from the mqtt integration page) that the integration has no devicesā€¦ Please advice, I have no hair, but Iā€™ve had any, they were gone by nowā€¦

Thanks in advance !

Kr,

Bart

Is it possible, (to make a flow or something) to re-broadcast when the Broker comes available ?? (at reboot of broker??)

@anon2681894 Itā€™s not possible to trigger a broadcast via flow, but I like the suggestion. A shortcut for now is to enable Home Assistent Discovery and configure the status topic & online message. A broadcast is triggered when the value (e.g. online) is published on this topic.

thatā€™s the thing, the messages are on, but broadcast does not get triggered, need to do it manually

@anon2681894 Just did a small test, everything works as expected :thinking:.

I published the payload online on topic hass/status. A broadcast is triggered immediately.

My app settings (default)

Did you try restarting the app: settings > more > apps > MQTT Hub > cog wheel > restart app?

HASSIO sets the flag with the red arrow
Homey sets the flag with the green arrow

Thats why i canā€™t control my devices from HASSIOā€¦ any suggestions?

@Stefan_Wempe.

That behaviour is correct. . The status of the ventilator is reported in the /onoff topic and the command to request a change is sent to the /set topic . The MQTT app monitors the /set topic and if it changes it updates the device to the new state and then publishes this out on /onoff. HassIO sees that /onoff has now changed and updates itā€™s internal state and the UI to reflect this.

You canā€™t use the same topic for state and set (cmd) because it can easily cause loops in the handling of updates.

If HA is correctly setting the /set payload to say ā€˜trueā€™ when you ask for the device to turn ā€˜onā€™ but the /onoff payload still remains ā€˜falseā€™ then the issue is on the Homey side. It has either not seen the /set command, isnā€™t processing it, canā€™t turn the device ā€˜onā€™ or canā€™t publish back to /onoff, I assume the device does turn off and on OK from Homey ?

Have you got this working OK with a simple onoff light ?

Homey didnā€™t react to this. so thatā€™s why i started wonderingā€¦
did a PtP on homey and now it magically seems to work. Thank you for addressing my issue!

I have had this happen too. Itā€™s a concern.

I believe it may be to do with the internal linkage to the Homey MQTT client app. The log shows issues as something gets broken in that path , either publishing or event subscriptions. Then it breaks. I donā€™t know if this is MQTT Hub or the client, could even be the broker but as Iā€™ve experienced this and I use external Mosquitto I donā€™t think so.

Whichever it would be nice to get it resolved as any lack of resilience here has big repercussions if youā€™re relying on MQTT.

@HarriedeGroot @scanno - what can we do to move forward on his ?

thanks for the tutorial it works very good!

Hi, i have installed my PS4 in HA. And also installed The HA app in Homey. But i cant add The ps4 in Homey with a switch. Anyone has fixed this ?

Hi,

Can this be used for sending sensor data from Openhab on MQTT back to Homey? I want to use homey as the front end, but need modbus data, and can use openhab as the gateway.

How would this work? By making virtual sensors in Homey? Then linking up the virtual object with Modbus data in Openhab/Home Assistant?

it will work with a vd, thatā€™s how I switched my PS4. if you let the VD switch and then build the flows with logic