The mystery of Zigbee

Hi everyone!

Zigbee mesh networks seems to be a hassle for many. But I would like to understand more about what is going on under the hood.

Is it possible to enable some kind of logging from a Homey-perspective that could make it easier to understand why some devices suddenly don’t work anymore? Just resetting and re-pairing devices all the time is not constructive.

Do anyone know if there is a method for providing Zigbee debug logs from Homey? Any other ideas / insight is also appreciated.

2 Likes

Don’t hold your beer…
I guess they just can’t find the culprit, or the zigbee chip supplier (Silicon Labs) is not cooperating as expected/hoped for

Yesterday’s news:
Q

A

2 Likes

I have a sneaking suspicion that there’s a specific reason the LG Homey only supports Thread and not Zigbee. You might be able to fill in the blanks there…

2 Likes

You can jailbreak your Homey, but it won’t do much good because there isn’t a lot being logged anyway:

/var/log # ls -altr *zigbee*
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 114 Sep  5 00:00 matter-thread-zigbee.log.2
-rw-r----- 1 root adm   0 Sep  6 00:00 matter-thread-zigbee.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 root adm   0 Sep  6 00:00 matter-thread-zigbee.log

Hi Robert,

Do you think the developer’s from Homey are going to do something about the weird behavior from ZigBee on a Homey Pro 2019 because it’s very awkward to restart the ZigBee app every 2 hour’s to keep the contact with the device’s or sometimes to Restart or Recover the complete Homey again.
Johan Bentz told me earlier that it had something to do with a memory leak as well.

Best regards Peter.

1 Like

I don’t think so. Athom’s has historically prioritised introducing shiny new features (like the upcoming dashboards), not to fix older issues or to fundamentally improve core technologies.

2 Likes

Athom isn’t even addressing the Zigbee problems op HP23, let alone on HP19…

3 Likes

Denmark here :O) I have the same problem whit zigbee, kind of like, a couple of months ago, Flows dont turn on/off , and some lights dont turn of etc etc. Hopefully they will soon look into this.

1 Like

Hi Robert,

That’s really bad aftersales, if you develop something and that doesn’t work properly then you should fix it with a patch. So it’s just wait and see if they going to do something about it, that’s not where we payed for, I hope they take it serious and realize that an update is needed for the ZigBee software or drivers.

Best regards Peter.

3 Likes

3 Likes

They are but it takes time and usually depends on the attention. If there are just few users reporting issues, it’s not their prio list (I’m keeping them busy as well)

That’s very weird issue I never heard of nor experienced myself with ~70 ZigBee devices - I even reach phase where Zigbee was very stable for me with that config for months. I wonder, what their support is saying ? It almost sounds like your HP19 is maybe dying. Anyway, haven’t seen any thread from you on this issue, where you would share all the details. Who knows, maybe someone might advise.

Hi Sharky,

I don’t know what’s wrong but I hooked in on this thread and I’ve been mentioning it several times in the ZigBee app thread from Johan Bentz where he said that there is a memory leak what’s causing the problems.
I also changed my power adapter to a 3 Amp one but no change and about dying of the HP19 is also strange because sometimes it’s working all fine.

Best regards Peter.

Just to have some positive feedback; I have loads of Zigbee devices and never have any problems so far (Homey 2023).

1 Like

Are you running latest update…

Hi Anders,

A HP23 is totally different from the HP19 and I’ve running 39 ZigBee devices and 12 Z-Wave devices.
And not the only one that’s having problems with the ZigBee being unstable.

Best regards Peter.

1 Like

Hello, I would say that Homey Pro has some issues with the firmware. I had the Homey Pro 2019 without major problems, then I upgraded to the Homey Pro 2023, and everything was running smoothly up until version 10.3. After this update, I started having extreme issues with Zigbee (Homey Pro 2023 firmware 10.3.0 - zigbee is broken).

Most of these issues have been resolved… but I still have a problem with the Philips Hue outdoor motion sensors (connected without the bridge) – I have about 6 of them around the house, and all 6 disconnect every time Homey restarts. For some of them, a device repair helps. For others, I have to remove the device and add it again, as the repair process reports that the device I’m trying to add is different from the one that was originally added.

All 3 lights are added using Homey’s default Zigbee driver. If I add them through the Lidl app, the lights work without this error… However, the control is terrible. Color changes do not happen across the full spectrum as they do with the default Zigbee driver, and controlling the white temperature is stuck somewhere between 100% white and 95% white (when set to 100% yellow). On the other hand, with the default Zigbee driver, I can easily move from 100% white to 100% yellow, and the light responds correctly.

2 Likes

Knock knock…who’s there…well not Homey… Since latest update :rage:@&#. I have a lot of trouble, whit Zigbee, and it just keep growing…does not seems like Homey, is doing anything…
This is very frustrating…:woozy_face::woozy_face:

1 Like

And what the support says about that ?

Which last update please and what Athom support says about that?

As mentioned, they are not aware of any bigger issues simply they got not enough reports…

That they are communicating with manufacturer :smiley:

1 Like