Setting up a brand new Homey Pro (early 2019) from backup

Hi,

I got myself another Homey Pro (early 2019) because the first one doesn’t work.

Set it up with the wifi and it found my backup. There was a message that said I had to reset the other one to be able to setup the new one. This is weird and impossible since the old one is dead.

Now, my new Homey has not restored anything and all the components looks like this:

Also, how do you get the advanced flow that you bought to the new device?

What is happening now?

Just that you do not run them both…

Wait until all Apps are re-downloaded and started. ’

See here: and check everything (like CLI installed apps. ) [HowTo] Homey Backup and Restore - Homey Migration

Contact Athom Support, ask them kindly if they will transfer it for you due to defect of the other one. (or you have to buy it again)

Thank you!

What would happen if actually both is running?

I have unplugged the old one to be sure, but the new Homey has been standing still and loading since I wrote this post. It hasn’t installed a single app.

Shall I set it up with recovery mode and make it download the backup again?

I have not done anything with the old one, just unplugged it.

New Homey after several hours with loading, still no apps:

Yep, try Again…

Why do I need to power off the old Homey?
Z-Wave and Zigbee, two wireless protocols that Homey uses, create their own internal mesh networks to manage the devices. These networks can only have one Homey in them to control everything. Having two of them with the same network details will likely cause conflicts. To be sure, you can reset the old Homey to factory settings afterward.

1 Like

Okay, thank you very much!

I have reinstalled on my old Homey a few times through recovery [10 sec upside down] and everything is being installed again just fine.

Another thing is, how do you change the name of a Homey? Let’s say you have different apartments and need to define which is where?

More … - Settings - General. - Homey Name

Thank you!

So I got it back online with everything, but Athom says the advanced flow belongs to the first Homey Pro.
As this is broken, they should refund me for this so I can buy it on the new one.

Secondly, It looks like the backup didn’t bring with the apps from the Community Store, is that true?

I guess they don’t trust you :thinking:

You did read read the link above?

You mean about this:

• Homey Pro (all white models)
    – will support ALL apps, from Athom, verified Developers and many Community apps.
    (unless Developer only published for ‘Cloud’)

I have the Homey Pro version, shouldn’t “many Community apps” cover it? :smiley:

All Community Store apps are “CLI installed”

What is there to trust? They just sent me a new Homey because they investigated the diagnostic report and found that my previous one has a communication issue. It’s warranty and there should be warranty for the addon for extra software aswell?

1 Like

Your story is a bit confusing: you’re saying that you now have two Homey’s, one that was dead and a new one that Athom sent you under warranty because the old one stopped working.

You’re also saying that the old one started working again (“I have reinstalled on my old Homey a few times through recovery [10 sec upside down] and everything is being installed again just fine”).

So now you have two working Homey’s? If so, it’s not completely strange that Athom doesn’t want to reimburse you for the advanced flows subscription that’s attached to the old one (although they could always transfer it to the new one, no loss for them).

It is confusing because I am talking about how I tried to reinstall the first Homey in the past.
Until they found out what was causing the disconnections and the lack of response, I entered wifi-setup mode and recovery mode several times. Every time, I was able to connect and open the Homey phone app until the message of “Homey disconnected, Homey is offline, Can’t find your Homey” appears.
The last time, the LED ring showing it had power was lit, but I can’t connect to it.

When I got the new one, I followed the step of setting up a new Homey, not migrating between two Homeys. When you turn on a new Homey the first time, it automatically creates a wifi hotspot so you can connect it to wifi.

But I had to set the new Homey in recovery mode to fully download the backup and proceed from there.

There is no problem for me to buy another advanced flow, I would very much like to support them for the products they make. It was just a question if it was possible to do.

I agree that if your first Homey was sent back due to under-warranty issues, Athom should transfer your Advanced Flow to the new Homey too. Because they acknowledged that the Advanced Flow belongs to the first (broken) Homey, you can argue that it falls under the same warranty.

1 Like