Overloaded Homey Pro 2019 ?please help

Hi,
Im using a alt. power supply. Connected a Charger with: Output USB-A: 5V/4.5A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A to my Homey. Something happend, it whent in to just showing a blue light and its not responding to the app. I have tryed to reset it by turning it up side down, but nothing happends. Did i overload it somehow? Is it possible to fix it? Please help

Even though QC/PD chargers should never put more than 5V on the output unless specifically requested, I’ve heard from some other users that they used such a charger and fried their Homey :frowning:

Did you put it upside down while a (normal) power supply was connected to it?

Hi,
No i havet tryed that. I onley tryed to reset in with the stronger charger.
I will try it to night!
It so stranges that is gives a blue coloure. I mean if its fried it should just be dead?
Is it possible to fix it?

Yes, if the LED ring is showing a color you would think it still gets power. But if you can’t get it in recovery mode I don’t know of any other way to fix it.

That happened to my brother in low … was not able to find the broken component yet, a pity there isn’t anyone having some experience with fixing it.

Re upside down - keep it like that even for longer time - eg. 2 min. - if nothing will happen, your Homey is dead ;-(

Looking at the PCB there’s a fuse in the power supply area and also what looks to be a switching power supply IC. I would start checking those.

1 Like

Robert thank you - do you mean those two parts?
In my case, I checked them, but seems to be somewhere deeper as I can measure 3.3V on Zigbee/ZWave and 5V on LED, if I’m not mistaken… also 5V on sound amplifier
But LED are dead, HP19 takes only 300mA, naturally it do not respond to the reset…I have measured all the capacitors for shortcuts, all resistors if they are not blown up…but as I’m not expert, it’s where I can just stop :frowning: Also based on visual inspection, nothing

Yes, those are the ones.

It’s quite possible that this is a 3.3V power supply (which could have survived a higher voltage) but that other parts of Homey are directly powered by the USB power supply and got blown up. Worse case, the SoM module is dead :grimacing:

1 Like

That’s what I suspect as well… it’s a pity there isn’t any carrier board for that module

It’s a carrier board in itself, see this page for the single core/512MB module and this page for the dual core/1GB module. You can see it has three connectors that I assume connect to the main Homey PCB.

1 Like

Maybe I did not express well myself, I meant something like this for CM4 : The Ultimate Raspberry Pi Compute Module Carrier - JFrog Connect

(basically for some trivial diagnostic, connect via USB and see if it works etc.)

But anyway, I gave up already, probably other working HP19 would be the way.

1 Like

Like this? HUMMINGBOARD-I1 BASE SOLIDRUN - Single-board computer | RAM: 512MB; i.MX6 Solo; 85x56mm; 5VDC; DDR3; SR-HB01B00000 | TME - Electronic components (WFS)

(coincidently, it looks a lot like the Raspberry Pi 1 :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes