Looking for outdoor temp sensor

Hi,

I’m looking for a reliable non-wifi outdoor temperature (& humidity) sensor.
I now have a Netatmo outdoor sensor but the connection is not very stable altough there is only 15m (straight line, no walls, only a big window) between the outdoor sensor and the Netatmo indoor station.

Any recommendations?

thanks,
Tim

But which radio protocol do you prefer?
For example, if you don’t have any Zigbee devices in use yet, then it probably makes no sense to recommend Zigbee outdoor temperature sensors. The same goes for Z-Wave.
Or what about sensors that require an additional bridge/hub? Not everyone wants additional bridges/hubs.

Zigbee if possible (lots of Zigbee bulbs & sensors in use)

I’ve used the Aqara multisensors (temperature, humidity, pressure) outside for many years, and as long as you shield them from the elements a bit, they will work just fine (you can find many 3D-printable enclosures on sites like Thingiverse and Printables, but there are also DIY solutions with plastic bottles that you can use).

However, 15 meters for a battery-powered Zigbee sensor might just not be entirely realistic.

Except of the Philips Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor, which also measures the temperature, I honestly don’t know of any other sensor.
However, the Philips sensor is very reliable, but it’s not cheap.

15 meters is the distance from the Netatmo outdoor sensor to the Netatmo indoor station.

I have 40+ Hue lamps in & outdoor. So a zigbee sensor is always nearby a Hue lamp and not 15m away from the nearest zigbee device.

Can a non-Hue zigbee device use the Hue network without being on the same channel?

If your Hue lights are managed by the Hue hub they will not act as repeaters for Zigbee devices that are managed by Homey, those are completely separate networks (even if they would use the same channel).

1 Like

I use both Netatmo and Philips Hue Outdoor Motion as temperature and humidity sensors.
I also experience my Netatmo to lose connection once in a while despite good range etc. But my Hue sensor is rock solid.

What is the update interval for the Hue sensor?

1 Like

5 min, I think. Looking at the insights