Latest update 7.1.4 position homey

I have switched this option off, but even then it does not work any more.
For the time being I make use of the geofence of HomeKit and trigger via HomeKit 2 virtual buttons in Homey to set Home/Away.

Something you could also try is sign up for the testflight beta to see if anpother Homey app version will change anything, or if you are signed up for that - stop and go back to the official one. That, and make sure Homey can access location in the background is about all you can do to see if Homey app is the culprit. And do not close the Homey app by swiping it from the task switcher.

1 Like

I think it is not possible right now to sign up for a beta test. Or maybe I used the wrong link. :sweat_smile:

I stepped out of testflight just the other day. I had updates from it every so often. But I cannot sign back on too it seems.

You know I can’t … There is to much non-info, assumptions and even BS in this Topic.

Guess there are at least 2 complet different issues, not related to Homey FW.

1. the online DB used by Homey assumes your Homey is ~ 10 KM away.
  • maybe a new neighbor is moved from that point 10 KM, sending out his SSID still on that other location in the DB.
  1. iOS new version icm Homey Mobile App update
  • Probably <v15 with App was “Stable” but maybe New App with Old FW and/or Old version Mobile App on New iOS.

I just Shot this Screenshot, Where am I now? yes At the RED arrow, ~10 km from this Homey.
This is functioning 100% OK now, The Homey from a relative is Positioned automatically less than 100 Meters from the correct place. And I am not there because I am Here

Possibly moving one or a couple WiFi routers from there (Family) to my Home will let My Homey “think” it is moved to Bennekom.

Solution for 1) Disable Auto detect Homey’s location.

You can’t see Your location in the Homey App!

Testing of 2 is not a thing you can test one time but need to test several times.
Testing was described by Roco.

But there is to much misinformation in this topic.
From GPS in Homey (No there is NO GPS in Homey), confusion about different issues and assumptions community members think they talk about the same but probably didn’t verify.

and assumptions that Athom hides fixes without telling in updates from 7.1.4-rc.2 to 7.1.4
While the update of 4xx bytes is just renaming a experimental release to stable without any functional change. (Why would Athom test a Experimental release at at least ~ a couple of 1000 Homey’s and then bring a change immediate to 10x or 100x that number of Homey’s . Sorry, if you believe that get a tinfoil hat and sell your Homey. )

O, and Sorry Ria

You would probably have the first Router presenting a Location. I would be surprised.
I think you have been affected by something from the IP/SSID Database.

Before we know we have a solution that describes that you need to walk the dog at least 11.2 km

1 Like

Agreed, and not only in this topic unfortunately.

1 Like

Sorry but I never ment that Homey has GPS. I was referring to the app on my phone. :sweat_smile:

That was my words😆 couldn’t explain it better ways…

I understand it is complex for some consumers, but some things are just unrelated and put here in one sentence. This quote just as an example, has been done many times.
I try to explain the technique and possible issues as clear as possible, I understand that some users have problems not denying that.

I hope you now understand that comparing the GPS of other Apps on your phone doesn’t make sense if you observe in the Homey App that Homey is 10 km away according to it’s autodetect location.

1. It could be just OK (as I tried to explain in my example above. )
  2. Or maybe there is a problem like by some others (where the Location of Autodetect in Homey is more than lest say ~500 meters off) but still unrelated. (And Athom can’t do anything about that issues in the Database service used for Autodetect)

And not denying here now, doesn’t help you and make that we have a risk that in a couple of months someone opens a topic with something like : “Why Did Atome remove the GPSchip in the new Homys…” or worse reply’s in this Topic after 2 years silence, “I have EXACTLY the same issue in Firmeware 24.4.5-rc23”

(Typo’s intended :wink: )

@Dijker Thanks for the feedback. I have updated some of my posts in this topic.

For now I rest my case. I made a temporally solution with HomeKit.
We know something is not ok. We do not know the root cause yet, so we have to wait for a solution from Athom.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think we’ve exhausted all theory’s.

This horse has well and truly been whipped…

I still have a gut feeling though the whole issue lays between the Homey App and IOS…

Being that every thing was working fine before the new IOS update and the only thing that has changed is IOS , then perhaps the Homey App just needs to be updated to suit the new IOS update.

Also as I mentioned before whenever I restart the App it then correctly recognises where I am. I personally think the app is the problem.

Will just have to wait and see what happens when the new offical Homey App update comes out …

For now I might also try that clever trick with HomeKit.

Please excuse me for making assumptions (no assertion!).
The assumption is based on the fact that the only change I made was to upgrade from v7.1.4-rc.2 to v.7.1.4. Other than that, I definitely did not make any changes. My wife’s phone also still has iOS 14.7.1 installed. So it’s not an iOS 15 problem on her end.

So what would you think the problem is in my case?
(This is a serious question.)

It depends on what you experience because different people here have a different “only” and as said before - it is the only thing you -know- that changed. Also please remember no two phones are the same. App updates get rolled out at different times to different devices, settings may not be the same, phones may kill running apps due to memory shortage, users themselves have different behaviour.

If the Homey app shows your Homey away from your Home, then use manual positioning and all should be well again.

If Homey is shown in the right place, it is probably phone/app/permission related. There’s a lot that can go wrong on Android phones but also IOS can have similar problems, it just has less options to tweak behaviour. Look at sites like Geofencing can level up your smart home if you set it up properly for tips on things you should check.

You could also try to remove the Homey app on the phone and reinstall. I’ve had cases where permissions seemed fine but weren’t until I reinstalled.

1 Like

If your Homey’s location is ok…
I still think in iOS vs the Homey mobile app.

Maybe you didn’t notice directly or the issues are not consequently.
On Android I have seen differences if someone had fe navigation open or the phone not used and locked.

2 Likes

Please replace should with could

1 Like

Should implies that in most cases it will, but not always. If Homey has the wrong home location, that definitely will mean geofencing won’t work. So if you found a proven reason why it doesn’t work, then the chances of there being more problems at the same time is small. So indeed changing the home location -should- fix it. If your home position was right, the chances it -could-fix it are small.

Will everybody read it like that?
Because that’s the reason for my remark, without explicitly describing which problem it can solve people will see this as the answer to everything. The same with the before mentioned magic 11,2 minutes, this is used over and over for all sorts of fixes and has become sort of an inside joke nowadays, but there was a specific z-wave related problem it could fix bit nothing more than that.

1 Like

I did:

Like Geurt mentioned: gaat weer nergens over!

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips and explanations, even if they have already been mentioned several times (this isn’t meant in a bad way, I just want to express that I’ve read all the other comments).

Probably for the currently Home/Away problems (not the location of Homey!) the only solution is to use a 3rd party app (e.g. HomeKit, Geofency, Locative).
Let’s wait, drink tea and calm down…

3 Likes