[Homeyduino] E-paper for Homey

Question
For some reason my LiPo battery is not charging.
When the battery is connected there is a green LED that is glows dimly.
If the battery is disconnected the same LED is bright.
It is a single cell 3.7v 1250mAH LiPo.

Does someone have a suggestion what could be wrong?

Are you sure the wires are connected right? When I measure the voltage on PY2, the +voltage is where your Black wire is.

Measuring = Knowing

I hope so. The battery did come with the connector on it.
Bud thx for the tip and I go measure it.

Are you powering from your PC or a 10Watt power adapter?

@Arnold_vd_Linden i dont’t know where you ordered your battery, but on the site of
Tinytronics they warn you to always check polarity

What the others are saying is correct, the cable with connector that comes with the screen has the positive (red) on the left side of the connector.

Also visible on several pictures of one of the users in this topic:
https://community.homey.app/t/homeyduino-e-paper-for-homey/74640/106

Hopefully you didn’t leave it on like that for long, not sure what quality battery you have, if it doesn’t have a protection circuit build it, connecting it reverse might have damaged it permanently.
You should be able to take out the wires from the connector though, it locks the pin on the bottom of the connector.

Thank you guys.
I swapped the wires in the connector and it is working now.
So stupid not to check first :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Just an update: after all kinds of different error messages (see #119) I finally installed Arduino IDE on another computer (Surface). Then uploading to Lilygo went without problems. Thanks everyone for thinking along.

Now i want to change a zone every 60 seconds (text, value, icon). However, after 1 change this only works if I execute action "timesleep =0 after each change. The disadvantage is that the screen flickers every time.
Anyone have a solution for this?

Unfortunately I damaged the screen :grimacing:

. (bumped). So just ordered a new one.

Did you try to opload the application again?
Or tried to upload a different example ?

I had some problems when uploading data too short time after another

No, buy an LCD screen :wink: Updating an e-paper every 60 sec is kind of a strange use case, well just my 2 cents.

ah well, just trying som things :slight_smile: .
Value zone “Youless” updates max every 10 seconds and thats works well.

Who has a nice use case and flow to use the screen for?

My own use case is monitoring my electricity (high/low tarrif, kWh used for charging the car) and gas consumption per day (updates every hour) as well as the current month (updates at midnight). Advanced flows and scripts are used.

I use it to monitor my house.
Like Heimdal, is there any window open, power consumption and solar.
Hereby I noticed that is is better to use without the sleep function and USB powered. Otherwise the battery is empty within a couple of hours.

I will buy a second device for weather information.
This one can be battery powered because a sleep period of 1 hour is good enough to refresh.

Great stuff @sebyldino I love it. I’m working on a Dutch review/guide.

I ran into some problem:

• When I added the display to the Homey it could not find it. After several tries (manually en discover) it found the display. But I got no message in the APP and the device did not appear in the APP. But when I logged in the web APP is was there. Bit strange. Does anybody else had this problem?

• I can’t get the batterij percentage to show up on the display. Only the icon is showing. I’m using “Battery_Icon” and “percent”.

• When the values refresh…the background color goes grey (different color as the background). Do I need the refresh the screen or is there another way around this?

• To update the values do i need to include al the mantory cards? Of can i just update the value card?

• To save the battery I want to change the sleep time at night or when i not home. Can I change the “Time_To_Sleep” with no problems?

Thank u for the answers.

Some more ideas :slight_smile:

• Would be nice to show if a value is higher or lower then to previous one
  • Can u please add some more icons (like wasmachine, Lightbolt (for power), dollar/euro, weather icon, wind icon, open/close window (not door).
  • To make more space at the top. Can u move the homey icon a bit more to the left
  • Can u move the text “Name_Zone_x” and “Value_Zone_x” more to the icon (less white space)

Thanks again for this great project!

Found a great case for it

This one fits much better, is a bit smaller and buttons are useable.

1 Like

:thinking: a magnet case is included with this project also… What is so great on the Thingiverse one?

I had the same for discovery and add some point tcp is used instead of udp, I think you hit the udp package size limit of 1460 and 2 packets are send instead of 1, so the json returned with 2 packages are not valid.

you can try to use paper as name and maybe a shorter ip like 10.10.10.1 etc. or use this 1 GitHub - sebyldino/Homey_e-paper at in-test. language is now part of the code.

1 Like

This one fits much better, is a bit smaller and buttons are useable.

1 Like