Homey went offline/ crash

About a week ago my Homey v1.5x suddenly showed a red ring when I woke up. As Homey was only controlling home automation and I didn’t interact with it for about a year, I figured that Athom was the problem. It took a few days but today I got a solution and my Homey is working again. According to the messages above I get the impression that Athom did this on purpose to force old users to update, which I do not consider as customer friendly. However… Their last email contained this (translated from Dutch by Google):

If you can put your Homey in setup mode you can solve this problem yourself. Keep Homey upside down for 1 minute. If Homey is in setup mode you then have to go to setup.athom.com with a laptop or desktop. Select the desired language, and go to the next step. Select ‘Continue in the browser’, and follow the steps on your screen. If you see ‘search for updates’, press the ALT key on your keyboard. Press ‘Download full update’. Then choose to keep your data. Homey now needs some time to install the update. This should solve your problem.

First I could not get the message ‘Download full update’ and Homey said that it was Up to Date. But after I rebooted a few times and started pressing “ALT” one step earlier during connection to my local WiFi, I got the option… then I followed the instructions and now my Homey is up and running again.

I hope this might help some more people.

6 Likes