Homey Pro backup without subscription?

Hi,

I want to make a backup of my homey pro 2023, but in the app it only shows me the option to create a backup in the cloud. I don’t want this, because I chose the Homey Pro specifically because it works offline and without subscriptions. I was told that you can make a local backup, but I can’t find this anywhere in the apps or webui.

Any help?

1 Like
3 Likes

These instruction states: While keeping the pinhole pressed, connect the USB-C cable to your PC or Mac. The LED Ring of Homey Pro will breathe orange, indicating DFU Mode is enabled.
Really? How to accomplish this with 2 hands? One hand to hold your Homey, one hand for pressing the pinhole, and a third for connecting the cable? So error proune!

2 Likes

Wait, seriously? Making a backup cannot be done through the UI, I need to disconnect my HP23 to make a frikking backup???

1 Like

yes

Wow. that is a special kind of terrible. This is willfully making the UX terrible just to sell you get the subscription.

Why not just have a backup button in the webUI to let you download a backupfile??

4 Likes

You obviously have no idea about the technical reason why it works the way it works, and the difference between local and cloud backups.

4 Likes

I might have. But if the backup can be send to the cloud, I don’t see why it can not be send to a USB stick.
To make live easier: a backup of the configuration will be enough in most cases.
So maybe you can share some background upon the complexity? Maybe the local backup does include the OS and the cloud back up not, and of course the question is how to backup the running OS, as the backup program needs the OS to run.

2 Likes

Because it’s full dump,when doing it via USB. While Cloud you have only configs. USB backups might be useful in many different ways

2 Likes

In that case: enlighten me.

If backup data can be sent to a server without the homey having to go into DFU mode, why can’t I just download that same backup data from the app or browser?

If I’m missing something, please tell me.

3 Likes

Then why isn’t there an option for a config backup in the app/webui?

Because for this you have Cloud backups, with very small fee, is done in secured way and stored on AWS. But you can always contact Athom support and ask them to spend eventually hours / days on developing it (backup and restore).

Because you can make full backups already :man_shrugging:t3:

Or just jailbreak your Homey and handle it yourself.

At some point you will be disappointed again…

1 Like

Because for this you have Cloud backups, with very small fee, is done in secured way and stored on AWS.

So the only reason that they went above and beyond to make manual backups not user friendly is because they want to sell you a subscription, just to store a few megabytes. Got it. Thanks for clearing up that it actually is absolute bullshit.

Because you can make full backups already :man_shrugging:t3:

…for which I need to discoonnect my homey.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that you’re pretending that there’s not an issue here.

2 Likes

Sell your Homey, delete your account, and everyone will feel better.

8 Likes

Déjà vu

sorry for OT

3 Likes

Sure, but why can’t we do partial backups/ snapshots?

Button to download the config files that would otherwise be uploaded to their cloud service. Or let me set my own S3 credentials.

2 Likes

Because Athom has a limited team of developers and different priorities.

2 Likes

Because Athom has a limited team of developers and different priorities.

So they have resources to

• build a backend that stores the data
  • make it suitable for multiple users so you don’t end up with someone else’s data
  • make it scalable for potentioally very large numbers of users
  • develop a secure process to transfer your backups to that backend

But not to

• make two HTML buttons in the webapp to download and upload the backup data.

It’s funny how you keep making excuses Robert.

2 Likes

The backup data itself isn’t available in the web API that the web GUI is using, so adding 2 buttons to the web GUI isn’t enough, it will need an pretty large update on Homey itself to even be able to do that (for something they actually can get money for now in the current implementation).

It is clear that you have no idea what all is happening behind the scenes, on Homey, neither in the (back-up) cloud servers, or what all is needed to be able to add such a seemingly easy option.

4 Likes