Homey pro 2023 - zwave too much traffic error?

No sorry I am not. You are responding on a topic that has nothing to do with your issue and you are spreading a solution which might cause other problems for users that have no clue. I’m not gonna repeat myself but in my humble opinion this kind of ‘solution’ should not be communicated as a solution.

But anyway. Let’s get back to the main issue here. Which is not one device that doesn’t respond or is chatty. It’s the Z-Wave traffic error that shows up for long periods of time and has already been confirmed by Athom as a bug.

1 Like

@Martijn_C , thank you for your response, but i have the same issue Homey pro 2023 - zwave too much traffic error? and i have found a work around wich is woking on my system, in the thread you have responded that you would not want to implement parts of my work around but meanwhile keep stating it does not work, i am sad to hear this, but please understand that for other people my work around could work…

That is the release I’m using. It isn’t a solution

1 Like

You don’t even know my setup or flows. I can promise you that there’s no issue with a lot of devices doing things at the same time in my setup. Next to that I even cannot implement your ‘solution’ if I wanted to since it’s not one flow, one device or one situation. It’s all 120 z-wave devices and has nothing to do with the flows. The network crashes almost immediately and always caused by a different reason. My evidence for that is still the same (which everybody ignores); a log that shows 30-40 of the SAME messages coming from random devices. Which shows Homey itself is messing something up. A device cannot do that, which has been confirmed by Fibaro.

So, in the best possible mid way; maybe the error we have is the same but the underlying issue is far from the same. Let’s keep it at that. Making back-up flows like you do might work for a while or for a few flows, but as said before I do not recommend this as a standard practice for your smart home.

@Martijn_C , this is an issue which needs to be resolved by athom, for sure, but.

1. i had the possibility to remove the chatty devices
  2. i checked the load on the system when it was happening.
  3. i have experirienced that if i defer the task to the device for 5 minutes, it would execute based on the defer.
  4. i use simple log to monitor this.
    here is an example set up.
  5. and the fallback
  6. this will elimate most of the issues, as you can see in the log. it will only show the retry issues, but will not show an error for the second try.
  7. in short, by setting this up, the system will not respond iminidiately but will recover a few minutes later,

is it perfect, no
does it work, yes.

Ok. If that works temporary for you, good. For me and most others which don’t have specific issues but a general z-wave problem it doesn’t. Even when all flows are disabled I have the issue. Anyway, let’s leave it with that. Thanks for the explanation.

@Martijn_C , i understand you have issues, but you are not “most”, if my suggestions do not suit you ok no problem, but please stop being negative about possible solutions wich could help others. as you have stated we do not know your set up.
kind regards
pixi

Hi Pixi,

Your suggestion works for some (devices) perhaps, but for devices that need immediate triggers (like light in my case) this is not a solution.
So for dimmers, light switches and even sun screens I would not recommend this solution, but rather back to old homey pro until athom finds a solution.

1 Like

I have a fibaro Hc3 and have used it to update all the fibaro devices to the latest firmware. Therefore I don’t think out of date firmware is the problem.

1 Like

Please read what I am saying. I was not negative in the last posts. I was realistic and tried to explain the difference between issues, and the problem with the work around.

“most others which don’t have specific issues

How do you know he’s not representative of “most”? My devices have the same/similar problem, as do my 2 neighbours (who don’t post here)

I am also affected by the same Z-Wave too much traffic issue. The problem started out occasionally on 2 devices, now all are affected. Lights, garage doors and gate do not respond which is a pain.

My wife is also starting to get out of patience, which will lead to me having to revert back to my Smartthings (which I prefer not to).

I’ve submitted a support request and am really surprised by the message that it can take up to 2 weeks for a response. I’m not sure if this organization understands that this type of behavior is not accepted by consumers anymore that have an abundance of choice. I buy a solution to control my house, this is not a game console where my character is stuck not being able to buy blue potions…

I have contacted Athom and told them I want my money back for Homey 23.
I was an early adopter (ordered the day they released it)and have had the unit running for months now, but it is going backwards.
They have advised I can return it for a full refund and have given me a returns number.

My house is a disaster with Homey 23 and my automation project has been blown out of the water by my wife who has lost patience with lights not coming on or going off, Doorbell not working, hot water not coming on, and we have not even got in to the winter when it controls the heating also !.

Maybe if a few more people did the same they would take notice and put more focus and resource on the the Zwave problem. This is not an isolated problem.

My old Homey (2016) work faultlessly, just ran out of storage space for all I wanted to do. Its back on now until I find a better system and the wife recovers and lets me carry on with the project.

It’s running well, with no “too much Zwave traffic” errors.

Everyone running about try to reduce chatty devices is wasting their time, it is a Homey issue !

I also asked for a return and got it. Just waiting just a little bit as I dread the work I have to do to migrate back.

1 Like

Hi, I just received my new HP 2023 and I feel like I spent 400€ that don’t worth it.

I’ve seen topics and official documentation about migrating from 2019 to 2023 so I was like : cool, easy and quick. The result is that the new HP get the settings without the apps, all devices are red meaning that you need to install them. Not possible from the IOS app forcing me to use the web.
I lost my morning trying to make it work, I was aware of the ZigBee repair, not about the Zwave.
I have around 30 Zwave devices all disconnected, incorrect node. I tried a reboot as usual with tech and now it’s stuck in a reboot loop working for 10 min and then reboot.

I work with devs, I cannot understand how they manage to deliver a product and features with this kind of issues. It seems that nobody did tests…

This isn’t a very new problem with Homey and Zwave.

My old 2019 can’t build a stable zwave network, but it didn’t communicate the desaster. Often my 2019 wasn’t able to steer the components, so I added in every flow control element to check the results and if not try it again periodically.

Before 2023 I had all security and energy relevant zwave components at my homee cube. That works with out problems.
With 2023 I hoped that I can avoid this double zwave grids. And it worked some weeks well at the new 2023.

In my system I though I found the problem… I’ve included some weeks ago a Qubino Smartmeter at my zwave system. A smart meter communicates very often.
After removal of the smartmeter and one chatty Fibaro the system was stable for some hours, but now another Fibaro switch and a Technisat switch take over the chatty parts.

This is a general problem with the Homey version since RC Versions rolled out.

My Z-wave always hit & miss with Homey 2016 (which died by itself), and 2019, and based on this marketing I ‘upgraded’ to 2023. Perhaps foolishly I thought having fewer than 100 z-wave devices against the 230 capacity claimed, I would notice an improvement in slow / patchy communications, unknown nodes, etc.

I didn’t realise the number of devices is not the issue but apparently how many communicate at once and how frequently, but I still struggle to understand what “chatty” or “too much” really means.

Looking at my developer page z-wave devices the highest number I see in the ‘Tx’ column is 430.

It doesn’t show the time period it refers to.

Is it in the last hour/minute?
Is that a lot?
What is the maximum?

Like others have pointed out here, my family’s patience is running thin, and will break completely if I set the polling interval for things light fibaro controlled lights, blinds, or door sensors, etc. to multiple minutes (that would defeat the whole object of most of the automation).

3 Likes

I have the same problem, very frustrating.
A show-stopper i am afraid.
I have some devices in my house that don’t have a physical switch anymore, now i can’t turn them on/off any more.
What is remarkable is that associations between for example a heat-it switch and fibaro dimmer keeps working as normal. So, not too much Z-wave traffic for that…

A Homey problem indeed :pensive: Other controllers and associations are working fine. I have here next to me a Fibaro HC3 and consider to switch back, but a lot of work including the scènes/flows :face_with_peeking_eye:.

Please read this topic carefully. It is NO PROBLEM if devices communicate a lot, as long as it’s not 50 devices all at once. A device that communicates every 5 seconds for example, should NOT give issues. I have a HP2019 with 10-20 devices that communicate every 5 (or so) seconds, without an issue.

This is a misconception. Yes, chatty devices CAN cause issues but only in extreme situations. The log will show you what the real issue is. The RX shows the number since last restart and the only way to check if there is an issue with RX is to restart your Homey and keep an eye on RX numbers that increase within seconds.

2 Likes