Homey Mobile App (v7.0.0.x) - (P)Review Alpha Testing

Leave the Beta channel and remove / reinstall the app, only probably not supported for Homey Pro (Earley 2023) Early Access. but most works. (Except Setup)

1 Like

I leaved the beta program. I gues it take a while before google installes the old appā€¦ For now it keep installing the beta app.

Happy to see a new version was releasedā€¦ but what a bummer. The basics that you would expect like searching through devices and flows; still not there. A customisable device screenā€¦nope. If fact, it has gotten worse. Same for the home page; I canā€™t see my favorite flows anymore because the items are sized too largeā€¦ This is the case with the flow page as well. Letā€™s not start about a customisable home screen (dashboard)ā€¦ surprise: not included.

Iā€™ll stop here. My wishlist to make the Homey app more user friendly is much longer. I think the app did not get any attention for the last two years or so. A least I did not notice any improvements. How hard can it be to implement these basis functions? Probably because Athom has other priorities, like expanding its customer base (i understand that) but it seems to be forgetting about the exisiting customers.

I still believe the Homey concept rocks. And I feel that the user experience 5/10 Athom scores right now could be raised to 9/10 without a lot of effort. This would include the WAF. I guess this just annoyed me for a long time already, and the v7 app triggered me for writing this post.

And yes, I know Athom does not (officially) read this forum. I guess I just needed to get this off my head. So thanks for letting me blow off steam. I am okay and have much more important 1st world problems to solve for today :wink:

Have a good weekend!

PS. Is it all bad? No fortunately not. The Iphone app seems to be opening much faster (once started), and the updating of the sensors (like temperature) in the Devices screen seems to work now (previously I had to restart the for sensor updates most of the times). Letā€™s just hope 7.1 will include some more positive (!) surprises :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I uninstalled latest beta and installed latest APK instead - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/athom-b-v/homey-a-better-smart-home/

Killing the app store app and then opening again also might help ā€˜refreshingā€™ it.

The problem could be then re-joining beta program, thatā€™s why I prefer APK in such casesā€¦

Yes thatā€™s a fine solution also, but I have joined and left the beta channel many times, and it did not re-join or leave the beta by itself :upside_down_face:

1 Like

i am allready back on the old app. It took en bit of time when google installed the old version. I am happy because the app works better then before :innocent:

1 Like

Support link on (Homey Pro ā€” Early Access Status | Homey) points to Homey 201x info instead of Homey 2023:
https://support.homey.app/hc/en-us/articles/7262272408732-Setting-up-Homey-Pro-Early-2023-

(reported @ Athom)

A few days ago all of a sudden the new Homey beta app was installed on my S20 Android phone. Still waiting for my new Homey pro 2023 though.

First impression was that not much had changed. The appearance is different and the logic has been improved a bit here and there. This was already announced in the video about Homey 2023.
But unfortunately what I had hoped for has not yet materialised. The ā€œoldā€ app was getting slower and slower and sometimes you really needed patience to select a tile. The timeline was often not updated or took longer than desired. Way too often I now have to close the app and open it again to see all the changes. This applies to all components, including the status of the people active in Homey, Present, sleeping, etc.

in the new beta app it is now the case that scrolling through the timeline, but especially in the tab of the devices, does not run smoothly. It often lingers and you have to wait until you can continue. The app probably keeps crashing for that reason. I have already sent feedback to Athom about this.
What does seem to have improved is printing on a tile, which now often goes well in 1 go. Not always but itā€™s getting better.

I hope that there will be improvements in terms of speed anyway, but is that possible when working with the Homey pro 2023 instead of the Homey pro 2019?

Scrolling through the long list of devices also remains a hassle. There was an ideal opportunity to make it more user-friendly to be able to swipe through rooms, as is possible in the Samsung Smartthings app, for example.

My new Homey doesnā€™t seem to arrive until April, so hopefully a lot will have improved by then. :blush:

Try to delete the timeline. Got this tip from @Caseda and it worked very well for me

2 Likes

(The app is not for Pro 23 onlyā€¦ but the Pro 23 depends on it)

Yea then youā€™re still in the betatester program AND you did not disable auto-update
You can revert by leaving the beta program and install the regular app v6.x again.
Screenshot from 2023-03-13 17-50-42

It is no issue the beta app was installed, I was waiting for it to see how it looked like etc.
I know I can go back back to the previous version.

Now the app is installed I just wanted t share what I think of it. :wink:

Thanks but did not really help for me.

Edit: I went back to the regular app and in there deleting items from the timeline does make it faster indeed. :+1:t2:

No problem mate, it looked liked you got a very unpleasant surprise. I just wanted to let you know how to prevent that :crazy_face:

2 Likes

That is probably my bad English. :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Is there a change log for the mobile beta app?

1 Like

Homey sent me email about this new app requirement for setting up new Homey. But testing requires redeem code. What, Why, How should this work out? Where to ask this code or what should I do?

Not that we knowā€¦ pls share your email