High memory usage on HP2023 compared to HP2019

I know that it is several posts about memory usage, but i do not find many regarding the HP2023.

I have several apps, and the free memory percentage on HP2019 was larger than it is on HP2023, now i hower around 19-20% free, sometimes lower. HP2019 was about 35% free. The HP2023 is recovered from a HP2019 backup.

Is there anyone else that is experiencing high memory usage on the HP2023, compared to the HP2019?

Is there someone who is not experiencing high memory usage on the HP2023?

Do anyone know, if it is the Beta status that is causing the high memory usage? I see that Homey itself uses a lot of memory, but some of the apps increases in memory usage as the time goes by. I have to restart the Homey every second day, to “clear” the memory usage to prevent apps from not running. (10% free limit)

I have 80 (give or take) units Zigbee/Z-wave/Wifi/BLE, 15+ virtual units and about 30 advanced flows, some large and some small.

Regards
Marius

1 Like

it’s normal and it was even worse 2 months ago. As it’s beta, some optimization could be still expected but unless your Homey is not crashing, there isn’t anything wrong with it.

1 Like

Same here, it builds up within a few days:

After a restart:

Just turn off the beacon app for a while and see what happens to your memory.

Your Homey is consistently using more RAM after you turned it off? :thinking:

via google translate:
When I turn on the beacon app, the free memory drops drastically within a few days. (it then hangs around 200Mb) Every few days I had to restart Homey to have more than enough free memory available again. Athom is aware of this.

Als ik de beacon app aanzet gaat de vrije geheugen binnen een paar dagen drastisch naar beneden. (blijft dan hangen zo rond de 200Mb) Om de paar dagen moest ik Homey opnieuw opstarten om weer ruim voldoende vrij geheugen beschikbaar te hebben. Athom is hiervan op de hoogte.

1 Like

Ah sorry, I see now your graph is showing free memory, I thought it was showing used memory :woozy_face:

1 Like

Is there a limit on free memory when HP23 starts to allocate the swap? Around 400-450MB free?

Swap is statically allocated (at boot time), and Linux always uses swap.

Allocate maybe is the wrong word. I mean when it will start swapping memory to drive storage?
(I know the swap file already is defined/allocated)

Perhaps below 300MB free you can expect the swapfile to be used?

Perhaps my answer wasn’t clear, but what I meant is that when swap is available, Linux will use it. It doesn’t work based on free RAM, it’s a continuous process where the OS decides to swap out unused memory pages to increase I/O performance, for instance.

So all you can hope for is that Athom has configured Homey’s OS so its swapping behaviour matches the hardware.

They did, eg. sysctl , swapines etc… but the problem with swapping is still another sort of problem (I do believe). Btw with ZRAM I was quite successfully achieving the same prior to upgrading RAM.