Help with 2019 to 2023 migration - ZigBee

Hi all,
I think I have same problems you mentioned above.
My problems started with migration from HPE2019 to HPE2023 a month ago.
Below you can find the case I’ve opened to Homey Support:

“I have encountered an issue after migration from Homey Pro Early 2019 to HPE 2023.
The issue is still present also after the new update v10.
Before (HPE Early 2019) my Zigbee network was very stable by using same Frient sensors located at same places.
I have 20 Zigbee sensor, 4 of them are repeaters and 16 are end devices.
I have made no change in sensors numbers after migration.
After migration I had to rebuild all my Zigbee network since HPE2023 was not able to recover it even if it is suggested to switch off and on each sensor (I have tried but unsuccessfully).
All the sensors gone up at the end but sometime some of it disconnect from the network (Zigbee daemon send a notification in timeline: “Zigbee sensor… left the network”.
So, I have to repair the sensor and it reconnect again but after a couple of hours (the time is variable) I have to repeat same action again.
Another question is why in Homey Developer tools I don’t see anymore the possibility to change Zigbee channel that was possible on previous HPE2019… this was very useful since I have a lot of flats close mine which use several WiFi APs and is known that it could be a lot of interference on Zigbee channels in that case. So even if I changed my 2.4 GHz AP channel to keep distance from my Zigbee network one in some case I needed to move Zigbee channel too. At the end I found a perfect balance and my Zigbee network was very stable (I was helped by using a WiFi scanner APP to do this).
Furthermore it is no more possible to see the routing hops among end devices and repeater in the network as was possible before. This helped me a lot by checking if an end device was routed by correct near repeater rather than a far one.
Please let me know and thank you in advance.”

Their answer was simply to suggest me to check for each sensor battery status…and to rebuild AGAIN all my Zigbee network starting from AC powered device (act as repeater),
You can wonder about my disappoint about this answer…

Please let me know if you have same very bad experience

I still wait for another thorough and better answer from them…

The issue is still present randomly (also with v10.0.3 running). After days or week of continuous connection suddenly a sensor leaves the network and I have to start manually the repair procedure again and again…
Sorry for this long post…but was just to better explain the matter…it is frustrating

Sorry for late reply!
Yes, correct. v10.0.3 ist not the version with the fix regarding this known issue.
Athom support told me about 18 days ago, that the issue is already fixed and will be published in the next firmware version. However, no new firmware has been released since then. So we have to wait further.

Edit

New experimental firmware released.

v10.0.4-rc.9

Core

• Updated translations.

Wi-Fi

• Fixed an issue that caused Wi-Fi to be enabled again after reboot while it should remain disabled.

Matter

• Fixed an issue that could cause Homey Pro (Early 2023) to reboot when Matter failed to start.

Apps

Z-Wave

• Reduce logging while creating and restoring a backup.

Zigbee

• Fixes an issue that could prevent Zigbee to start after restoring a backup.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent Zigbee from starting due to a timeout.
  • Fixed an issue that could prevent Zigbee from starting due to a device with a missing network address.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in difficulties repairing devices after a migration from Homey Pro (2016—2019).
  • Fixed an issue that could result in Zigbee devices not being configured properly after a repair.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in empty device settings after a repair.
  • Fixed an issue that could mark a device as successfully repaired even though it was not.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in “Zigbee is busy” errors.
  • Fixed an issue that could result in a timeout when resetting the network from the Developer Tools.
  • Improved error message while Zigbee is starting.
  • Improved error message for basic Zigbee devices when they are not responsive.
  • Show correct error message when adding a device timed out.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a timeout overflow warning to occur.
1 Like

Tried to repair Zigbee devices as per the instructions you got from support that were there in another thread. Unfortunately no luck yet. Seems to be quite a pain to make Zigbee devices migrate. Again, back to old Homey.

My first attempt was also not successful, but after my second attempt I was able to repair (the most) devices.

For all other interested users, these are the steps I did and what problems I still had:

1. Backup created from HP19
  2. HP19 unplugged
  3. Performed factory reset on HP23 via USB tool
  4. HP23 unplugged
  5. USB Tool restarted and FW v10.0.4-rc.10 installed
  6. HP23 unplugged
  7. after a few minutes connected the HP23 to the power supply (I don’t have an ethernet adapter!)
  8. waited about 15 minutes
  9. migrated HP23 from the last HP19 backup
  10. waited about 15 minutes
  11. started repairing the Zigbee repeater

Nevertheless there were always problems with repairing some Zigbee devices, e.g.:

• An error occurred when pairing this device again. Please try again.
  • This device could not be repaired. The device that joined the Zigbee network is not the device you are repairing.
  • Device is added…
    This seems to take too long. Try turning your device off and on again. If the device is battery powered, press a button to reactivate it.

When I once called Developer Tools → Zigbee, the following error message also appeared 1x:

• Zigbee is busy, please try again later.

Also, when I tried to repair a device, it left the Zigbee network. 2x I had to restart the HP23 as well, so that I could repair more Zigbee devices at all.

(Source, quickly translated with deepl.com :wink:)

So Athom has still to do a lot of homework.

However, I would also mention that the Zigbee devices are now working properly and are stable.

Now that they have released v10.0.4 stable, I guess I should probably try the migration…

One question I have is whether the Zigbee channel from the old Homey will be preserved in the migration (even if all devices will need repair). I chose that channel specifically (least interference with my WiFi channels), and it has been working quite well, but on the 2023 you can’t change the Zigbee channel (which is a pity).

I suspect that it might just ignore which channel was used on the old one, unfortunately. Did yours reuse the channel, or did it choose a different one?

After a factory reset the Zigbee channel is automatically set during the first steps of the setup, even before the backup from the old HP is installed, and cannot be changed afterwards.

Ok, thanks. That’s really unfortunate, and a decision from Homey that I question. I wonder how the channel choosing algorithm works, and also how well it works…