Google NEST Protect V2 Interface

Just bought 5 NEST Protect V2 last year, worked great with the Homey Nest App, developed by Athom. Since today I migrated my account to google, because of a warranty issue with one of the NEST Protect, and I am not able to connect anymore. Just looked it up on this forum and Google killed the API. Is there someone who already nailed this problem? Don’t feel a lot to buy new fire detectors. Already many thanks!

Please clarify the solution step by step, maybe other users can be helped out as well.

Same issue at IFTTT and Home Assistant.
You are screwed unfortunately. (Me to🤪)

1 Like

Home Assistant works with “badnest” integration. Thermostat and smoke detectors work.
MQTT to Homey or just setup alerts in home assistant

Thanks Luke, that sounds hopeful! Is there a simple guide how to realize this?

I am a Newbie in the world of Homey, just two days. I have three NEST protect and a NEST thermostat v2. I have not migrated to Google. Can I work them with Homey and how?

Thanks Roy, quite disappointing.

Hi @Dennis_van_Zelm,
If you have a HA instance then add this https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest, if you don’t then you have a bit more work to do.
The addon above is a community addon that can be installed through HACS (plenty of info on this). This will add your smoke detector and thermostat to HA even with a migrated account.
There are many ways to get that back into Homey but the easiest is a virtual thermostat in Homey and just setup an automation in HA that calls homey flows each time its state changes. An example would be… If HA thermo=on call webhook (which runs a homey flow that turns the them on and vise versa).
MQTT also works and is a bit tidier, if you already have it setup then it’s a piece of cake. Add a virtual thermostat, let it get created in HA via Homey MQTT app and use HA automations or scripts to update one when the status of the other changes.

Another option is to get thermostats added to the Alexa app for homey as they work fine in Alexa. Only downside is that the smoke detectors don’t work.

Thanks a lot Luke! I will give it a try soon.

Google has opened up the personal access to their API today so we might be back in bidness soon anyway.

Where do you read that?

Right here

i contacted athom. and they are saying that the won`t make a new app at the moment. they say google has extreme demands…

Hi Wesley,

Bedankt dat je opnieuw contact met ons hebt opgenomen.

Helaas is het voor ons op dit moment niet haalbaar om de Google Nest API te integreren in een (nieuwe) app, voornamelijk door de extreme eisen die Google stelt.

Mocht de situatie in de toekomst beter worden zullen we hier natuurlijk snel naar kijken, we willen namelijk graag de Nest apparaten ondersteunen!

Ik ga er vanuit dat je vraag hiermee is beantwoord, daarom sluit ik nu je ticket. Mocht je aanvullende support nodig hebben kun je je ticket heropenen door te antwoorden op deze email.

Ik wens je een fijne dag en veel plezier met Homey!

Met vriendelijke groet,

I don’t see the nest protect v2 in the list of devices of the new api. Hopefully it will be added soon.

If Athom won’t support it yet, individuals can start develop right? I saw in the announcement support for partners of Google (Athom?) and for individuals (so developers at home). Maybe there for partners big demands so athom hopes developers will create an app?

What does the sentence underneath mean? Looks like it is possible to log on with a google account. Although it does not work by me.

Well, it means that if you have migrated your account to Google instead of Nest account you should use your google account. Otherwise use the other link to login.

Still no news regarding this integration?

Just checked this and still no support. Somebody asked for this as well on StackOverflow (support channel of Google for new Device Access API) but still no reponse after a month.

1 Like

StackOverflow isn’t really the right place to ask, though.

Well, they say this on the support page