Friends of hue switches without hue hub

Hi,
is it possible to connect friends of hue switches to homey pro without a hue hub?
Same question for the motion sensors.
I did spend a lot of money to make every switch in the house friends of hue compatible. I would like to know before buying the homey pro.
I found a lot of topics with teh same question but nu answer.

1 Like

Probably not, while there’s no app for it (afaik). Why not just spend a few coins more and buy a Hue hub then.

i own a hue hub but a lot of users state that there is a huge delay when the switches are on the hue hub when using flows because of the 5 sec polling.

Ah I see. Then you could test it with one switch and see for yourself?
If there could be such a lag, I don’t get why (from what I’ve read) many Hue users prefer to keep using the Hue hub in combination with Homey.

Same here, I would like to stop using the Hue hub and go Homey all the way.

Advantage is that the Zigbee mess network is strongest in my homey pro (where all the bulbs are). Switches are endpoints on battery. If that’s the only thing on my hue hub, that gives a poor (extra) zigbee network.

Another is that connection is not local anymore when using the hue hub. Homey will tell Hue servers to do something. Gives slower response time + need for stable internet all the time.

The Hue app will use local polling on Homey Pro, so it will talk to the Hue hub directly, not through the cloud.

However, it still uses polling (“pull”) as opposed to letting the Hue hub push state changes, which basically all other home automation platforms use and allows for near-instantaneous updates.

The poll interval is 2 seconds.

1 Like

do you have the bulbs in homey and the switches in hue?
how is the delay?
i’m thinking about buying a homey pro but this limitation is holding me back.

Still in the middle of transferring everything to homey (lots of lamps) so can’t say yet. Native Homey works faster, that’s for sure. But it’s not that it is with a 2 sec delay with the bridge…

The switches will have to stay in hue bridge because they are not recognised (niko, friends of hue). For now…

The idea is to get rid of the hue bridges in the end. 1 bridge makes more sense, no delay.

as the switches in this scenario no longer can make use of the mesh between the bulbs, how is the reception?

Still in transition. A lot of work so can’t say yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

is the hue wall switch supported? (the behind a normal switch module)

So far implementation is rather junky. Everything is via Hue bridge, and you can only control short press, not a long press. Also there is a substantial time delay (due to Hue hub integration)
It seems Home Assistant has a better implementation, but it’s also done via Hue hub, not directly.
For me it does create a problem, since I have quite few of those switches and I’m happy with the look and overall perfomance. They do work and are amazing within Hue ecosystem. I would also appreciate any advice how to make it better, else I think I need to rethink my setup with Homey Pro.

1 Like

Have you tried using ZHA?

ZHA under Homey or HA ?
Not sure how to do it via Homey, I would like to stay with Homey, but if this is another problem, then I rather choose something that works.

Some people have a lot of issues with Zigbee on Homey and opt to use alternatives, most notably zigbee2mqtt, but it’s up to you to decide if you want to go that route.

I was just making a remark about the devices requiring a Hue hub on Home Assistant, which they probably don’t need if you use ZHA on Home Assistant.

Is there no other light switch working in Homey(pro) ??? I prefer wall-mounted transmitters (jung) in 55x55 or 70x70